+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Intermittent spotting- very confused.

Hi everyone,

I am 8 weeks pregnant, and because Ive had some serious health issues in the past, I have already seen my OB twice and I am due to go back Tuesday.

After the initial visit to him, I started spotting the next day. I saw him again who did and internal scan and revealed baby was still ticking away at 150bpm. The ob couldnt see anything that would be causing the spotting and thought maybe just a sensitive cervix.

But.

Ive continued to spot brown 'smears' 'streaks' when I wipe. On Sunday afternoon, it stopped and all Monday stopped also. I was on cloud 9 thinking it was all over and everything was fine.

Well, last night, and this morning - its back.

It seems to be in the 'mucous' type stuff I seem to be getting and if I hold the toilet paper up to my vagina (sorry if TMI) it seems to be just a slight brown (like a beige to a tan colour) few drops.

I still have sore breasts.

I just do not understand what is going on, why this is happening and what it is. Am I miscarrying or is this just a normal period/ hormonal thing? I would be due for a period this week.

I will call the OB this morning as I asked him when should I worry. He said if it continues for a week (sort of- but on and off), gets worse (no), changes (not really), I cramp (not at all) or its worse than a normal period (nope).

But I have an anxiety disorder and I am not on medication at the moment. So I am sooooo worried, I just dont know whats going on.

I know no one hear can tell me what it is or whats going on I just needed to vent, get some of your positive stories and just..... well I just dont know what to do.

Thanks for listening to me.

N

Bonkers is offline wishes she was a glow worm. A glow worm's never glum, 'cos how can you be grumpy when the sun shines out of your bum?
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If its mucus like maybe it's a infection. Dot stress to much, they say if it's bright red an your have cramps you worry. Talk to your ob about it next time you see him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had what sounds like the same thing from 5.5wks - 8.5wks. It started after my first internal at 5.5wks. The same as you sometimes it would stop for a day, then be back the next. It was sometimes pink, sometimes brown (mostly brown). It is very, very normal and common to spot in early pregnancy. As your OB said as long as you are not cramping and it doesn't get bright red, really try to relax and see it out. Believe me I know it's easier said than done! I also had two big bleeds (bright red, quite heavy, some little clots) at 12 and 16 wks. They were both after sex; I must have a sensitive cervix. These things just happen sometimes and they SUCK but try to stay positive.

I'm now 34 wks with a healthy bub, good luck to you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had a similar experience from 16-22 weeks .... I was constantly worried and was back and forward to the dr. It turned out I had a low lying placenta but it moved higher as my pregnancy got further along. I hope this helps xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    So should I call my OB (dont want to annoy him) or just wait until I see him Tuesday?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd hold out if you can. While you would not be annoying your OB(this is their job and they are very used to answering all kinds of concerns from worried mothers to be), it does not sound like anything too irregular.
    I had brown spotting for 3 weeks with my son (wks 7-10) all before I saw my OB. I rang my SIL who is a Doctor and she settled me down. It never went red which my OB later told me is when they have more concerns. could be implantation bleed that was slow to release or something else as harmless.
    So if you can keep calm and keep the anxiety at bay that would be best. But if it is too much just call the OB, don't worry about annoying him that is why you pay him so well

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah thanks I think I will.

I dont want anymore internals but Id like his advice on whether we should be concerned or not.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If it will help ease your mind then yes you should call, it definitely won't hurt

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just want to know everythings ok.......

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've had this ALL the way through my pregnancy - at least 3 times maybe even 4! No one can tell me why just trust in the fact that it's YOUR blood not the baby's. If it occurs in 4 weeks blocks like mine occassionally did it can be your body's cycle of period continuing in some form which is fine as far as I'm told.

I have been told the following by a nurse - unless your spotting gets progressively worse as in filling one pad an hour for a min of 3 hours she didn't believe I was miscarrying. If you have that go to emergency.

I was in Emergency last week with bright red blood after a bowel movement on the weekend that turned straight into brownish spotting (hardly any) had an ultrasound everything perfect - he could see a little blood remaining in my cervix but again let me know that everything was text book with baby. Some people just bleed a bit for no good reason - there is no such thing as a "normal" pregnancy if you know what I mean? Our bodies are all so different.
    Don't freak out just take comfort in the fact that your bub was given the all clear