+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey MamaNurture,

Would you believe it.....I put her down at 10am wide awake and the little monkey went to sleep without a peep!

Some days I wonder if she is actually tired because I am putting her down because the time seems right, not because I've seen tired signs. It's hard because I can't sit there watching her like a hawk for tired signs when I have my other daughter to look after too.

Some days I think I've missed her tired signs because I've been busy with the other one so I put her to bed, needless to say this doesn't go down well! I don't know if that's because I've missed that ever elusive 'window' of opportunity to put her to bed or if she's just not tired?

ETA: so to answer your question, sometimes she seems very alert and content to be awake. Other times I know she's tired so it's pretty unpredictable
    Last edited by GirlyWirly; 27-06-2012 at 10:47.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Haha, the munchkin! She wanted to prove you wrong!!

All I know is that I was having so much trouble with DDs sleep. I just gave in - the motto in our house is 'Sleep is a war-free zone.' I stopped fighting her and just let her sleep when she needs to. I give her opportunities to sleep and if she doesn't sleep and seems happy and content, I just let it slide. Now, I do use the clock but only to say, 'Oh yes, you've been up x hours, that probably is a tired whinge.' Then we are off to bed. Some days she sleeps 4 hours in the day, some days 2. Some days she will have 4 little sleeps and some days 2 big ones. You get the idea.

It just made my life so much more relaxed and instead of constantly stressing about sleep, I'm feeling that I'm enjoying our day more.

Plus when I started to muck with her day sleeps she stopped sleeping well at night!!!

Just my 2 cents worth, I hope you don't find it rude. I'm a first time mama and so I'm lucky in lots of ways, no other kids to worry about. And it could all change tomorrow, who knows?!?

Actually, I just realised you asked for advice from second time mums, so sorry if this is off beat.
    Last edited by MamaNurture; 27-06-2012 at 11:22.

Thanks
    Reviews
    No no I appreciate your advice MamaNurture, thank you

I remember when DD1 was little I tried to get her to sleep longer than the one sleep cycle for her naps but it really started to affect her night sleeps which up until then had been great. I quickly learned with her to just let her do her thing and if that meant 3 x 40 naps during the day and a 12hr block at night then so be it!

That's why I'm a bit scared of implementing a strict sleep school style routine incase it throws DD2's night sleeps out :/

I guess since she slept for me this morning I'll take hope that her ability to self settle is there and that it will get better.

I like your motto, I think I might try and live by that too
    Last edited by GirlyWirly; 27-06-2012 at 12:37.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Maybe she saw the sleep school brochure and got spooked

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My DD1 too didnt have great day sleeps till 6mths old but fabulous night sleeps.

I agree with mama nuture - get their signs and they will sleep easily. I'm finally getting it right with DD2. Wrap, feed, cuddle and put down at the first yawn either in the car capsule or pram (all day sleeps in here and only night in the cot - that way I can leave if I need to and not need to wake them up). I stay in the room doing housework or puzzles/books with DD1 and push pram/rock capsule occ till she dozes off.

only taken me 22mths to work that out.

I too have a forceful let down and do all my morning feeds lying down but afternoon feeds are ok to sit with as my supply settles down by then.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi GirlyWirly,

I know it has been a while since you posted, but I was interested in how you went with your DD2's nap situation? Did you end up at sleep school? My DD has 2 very short naps (35 mins at most) in the day, but sleeps pretty well at night. I have been given a date to attend to Masada, but am afraid if I mess with her day sleep it will then mess with her night sleep. She is cranky in the day, so I know she needs more sleep and I can't take her out past 6pm for fear of an inevitable meltdown if she is not winding down by then and bed by 7pm. In fact, I barely take her anywhere full stop. She is 6 months next week and we basically stay home all day every day, as she is not happy in the pram or car seat and has even shorter naps on the run, if at all. I only have the 1, but I am finding it so tough! I would love to hear how things are for you now!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Jlovesl

Wow! A lot has happened since my original post

Sorry to hear that you've been struggling. Having a baby that doesn't nap properly can be so stressful because it can affect so many things. I really feel your pain, *hugs*. I hope things settle down soon for you and hopefully my story helps in the meantime....

Shortly after posting I got hit with a bout of gastro. We decided to give DD2 a dummy while I was unwell between feeds as she had gotten into a bit of a pattern of having frequent little feeds during the day and dozing during the feeds and not wanting to sleep or feed properly due to the dozing/snacking. Vicious cycle!

Long story short she took a dummy for day naps only for about 3 months. It was like magic, we popped old dum-dum in, took her around the house to give whoever was home a kiss then gave her a cuddle in her darkened room while telling her it was "nigh-nigh time" and put her in her cot and she'd go to sleep with no dramas. I kicked myself for not trying it sooner! (I was against using a dummy as DD1 never had one and I was scared of the fight to wean her off it later after seeing friends trying to get their toddlers to give them up!!)

When our appointment with the sleep school rolled up two weeks later, a nurse called to confirm our appt and when I told her about what had happened she said there was no need to come in, that the dummy had been doing the trick and to call back if things went downhill again.

After 3 months she started to refuse to take the dummy, she'd keep pulling it out but the routine of taking her around for kisses, cuddling her in her room while telling her it was time for nigh-nighs and then putting her into her cot still worked.

Maybe the dummy worked long enough for her to 'get' the routine? Maybe she just reached a point developmentally, I have no idea!

She is now 11 months old and we still have odd days where she will refuse an afternoon nap, but generally she's been great. We are going through some frequent night waking which I think may be due to teething but last night was good so fingers crossed we're coming out the other side of that too.

I have friends who have been to sleep schools and sworn by them so it can't hurt to try. My DD2 hates the pram and the car seat so I was a bit if a hermit too, she's only just accepting them both now at almost a year old!

I really hope your bub settles soon for you, there's a huge source of support and information right here in bub hub so don't be afraid to post asking for advice. All I can say for my experience is offering a dummy for her day naps and the exact same routine each time seemed to help us.

All the best, and feel free to stay in touch, I'm here for support if you need it xxx
    Last edited by GirlyWirly; 03-03-2013 at 19:04.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to GirlyWirly For This Useful Post:

JlovesI  (03-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by GirlyWirly View Post
    Hi Jlovesl

Wow! A lot has happened since my original post

Sorry to hear that you've been struggling. Having a baby that doesn't nap properly can be so stressful because it can affect so many things. I really feel your pain, *hugs*. I hope things settle down soon for you and hopefully my story helps in the meantime....

Shortly after posting I got hit with a bout of gastro. We decided to give DD2 a dummy while I was unwell between feeds as she had gotten into a bit of a pattern of having frequent little feeds during the day and dozing during the feeds and not wanting to sleep or feed properly due to the dozing/snacking. Vicious cycle!

Long story short she took a dummy for day naps only for about 3 months. It was like magic, we popped old dum-dum in, took her around the house to give whoever was home a kiss then gave her a cuddle in her darkened room while telling her it was "nigh-nigh time" and put her in her cot and she'd go to sleep with no dramas. I kicked myself for not trying it sooner! (I was against using a dummy as DD1 never had one and I was scared of the fight to wean her off it later after seeing friends trying to get their toddlers to give them up!!)

When our appointment with the sleep school rolled up two weeks later, a nurse called to confirm our appt and when I told her about what had happened she said there was no need to come in, that the dummy had been doing the trick and to call back if things went downhill again.

After 3 months she started to refuse to take the dummy, she'd keep pulling it out but the routine of taking her around for kisses, cuddling her in her room while telling her it was time for nigh-nighs and then putting her into her cot still worked.

Maybe the dummy worked long enough for her to 'get' the routine? Maybe she just reached a point developmentally, I have no idea!

She is now 11 months old and we still have odd days where she will refuse an afternoon nap, but generally she's been great. We are going through some frequent night waking which I think may be due to teething but last night was good so fingers crossed we're coming out the other side of that too.

I have friends who have been to sleep schools and sworn by them so it can't hurt to try. My DD2 hates the pram and the car seat so I was a bit if a hermit too, she's only just accepting them both now at almost a year old!

I really hope your bub settles soon for you, there's a huge source of support and information right here in bub hub so don't be afraid to post asking for advice. All I can say for my experience is offering a dummy for her day naps and the exact same routine each time seemed to help us.

All the best, and feel free to stay in touch, I'm here for support if you need it xxx
    Hi GirlyWirly,

Thank you so much for the reply and kind words. I am new to bub hub and appreciate the warm welcome I am getting!

When DD was almost 4 months (around Christmas) I gave in and gave her the dummy also...I agree, it was like magic! She would have 1.5 hr sleeps or wake at the usual 30 ish min mark and then in goes the dummy and next thing I know I'm pulling it out to stir her so my breasts didn't explode! Not sure if that was the right thing to do, but at the time I felt I needed to get the 5 or 6 feeds in for the day. Then she started to ask for (demand really) it at night time too. Soon after it stopped helping to extend the naps and she was asking for it to be put back in every twenty mins AT NIGHT. Needless to say this didn't last long and within a month it was gone again. I think the issue is she sleeps with her cheek flat to the mattress and as soon as she relaxes to drift off, it falls out before she's even really slept. I have seriously considered trying it again though, out of desperation! She also used to pull it out and talk to it! On a bright note, she self settles really well at the moment and am grateful for that. If only she didn't try to sit up the second she flicks her eye lids wide open at that frustrating 30ish min mark!!!

I hope your good nights continue and I thank you again for your reply and advise. I might even try to dummy again and try to limit it to day sleeps only again. Worse case, I am booked in to Masada in two weeks. I'm am just praying it doesn't mess with the night sleeps and waste our time! I will report if you are interested xxx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes! Please report back, I'd love to know how it all goes you and your little Miss

Both of my girls are of the catnapping variety! DD1 (who is 4 now) would sleep 40 mins every nap until she transitioned to just the one nap per day, then I'd get 2 and a half hours out of her.

DD2 is a *bit* better, she is more frequently getting to 1 and a half hours for her morning naps lately but her afternoon nap is almost always 40min.

I honestly don't care if its just a 40min nap, I just couldn't stand the screaming and crying that used to come every nap time. I'm so grateful that doesn't happen anymore!

I remember with DD1 the MCHN was insistent that I follow the feed-play-sleep routine. When I started following that it really upset DD1 and her night sleeps went out the window for a few days, I went back to feed-sleep-play with her and what to you know, her night sleeps settled again.

Each baby is different and the only thing you can do is run with what works for you and your bub. From what I've heard from friends is that the night sleeps have improved along with the naps after sleep school so hopefully that's the same for you and your little girl too

Looking forward to an update from you xx

11. The Following User Says Thank You to GirlyWirly For This Useful Post:

JlovesI  (04-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you. I shall! I thought it to be a little ironic actually that you came up in my search for hip dysplasia! DD has been wearing a brace since she was 7 weeks and I was curious to see if other bubs were catnapping because of it or if it doesn't make a difference. I'm glad your LO didn't need to wear one. They are no fun! In fact I am just about to set off for another appointment to see how it is going. Wish us luck!