+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Considering sleep school :/

I'm so torn

DD2's day naps have just been going downhill these past 2 weeks and now she refuses to nap during the day. At all.

I've tried everything from walks in the pram, baby carriers, car trips, feed to sleep, rocking....you name it! She just fights it.

I also have a 3 year old DD that needs to be played with, fed, carted off to kindy and other various activities so getting the younger one in to any form of routine has been impossible and I just don't have the luxury of dedicating all day to getting her to give into having a nap.

She goes to bed at 8pm with a bit of a battle. Usually takes 1-2 attempts but she's usually asleep by 8:30. I don't hear from her til between 4:39-5:30an for a feed then she goes back to bed happily til anywhere between 8:00 and 10:00am!

She has not needed night time settling, not once, since birth so I know she can put herself to sleep.

After a draining day today I had a bit of a cry to hubby and he suggested sending us both off to sleep school. I have read the hand out and they are quite strict with some issues that don't feel right to me (ie, suggesting a dummy, do not allow baby to fall asleep at the breast ever, active feeding only - so no slouching or laying down to feed, feed-play-sleep routine).

I just want some tips from mums who have gone through trying to get their second bub to nap during the day when they have other kids to look after.

Feeling like a bit of a failure right now, I'm not giving DD1 much attention while I'm just battling DD2 all day

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    How old is she?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Hollywood For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (26-06-2012)

Shhh, blowing Flo rider's whistle and making Usher scream...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    How old is she? Sleep school is great, I did it with the twins and they sleep still fom 6pm - 630am plus a 2 hr nap at 12md. Most sleep schools also advocate CC, mine did, and I didn't have a problem with it but then they weren't that bad. Good luck

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    How old is your youngest DD?

I have had a shocking time with my DD and sleep. It's normal to take an hour or more to get her to sleep at night and she will often wake up 40 minutes later wanting cuddles to get back to sleep (or b00b before she was weaned).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the replies everyone.

DD2 is 13 weeks old. She was pretty good with day naps but the past two weeks it's just unravelled.

Night times are fine. She went to bed at 8 without a peep. Just day naps seem to be the problem, she just will not sleep, no matter what I do.

As she's getting between 12-14 hours sleep at night should I wake her earlier in the morning to encourage more sleep during the day?

DD1 was the same at this age but because she was my first I had all day to work on getting her to sleep. Things settled at 6 months for her and she's now 3 years old and sleeps perfectly so I don't know if I should wait it out with DD2.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    I'd love to give you a nice easy answer but I don't have one My DD was a shocking sleeper at that age, as a newborn it was quite common that she would only have 2 x 20 minute naps during the day and wake every hour or so during the night for a feed. I'm afraid some babies are just more wakeful than others. I ended up putting ABC2 on for DS, not the best thing but I can't be in 2 places at once. I just made sure that every morning we all went out for a walk so that at least we both got some exercise.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I remember my DD being a bad sleeper at that age and sleeping 12 hours at night. Then gradually she for better, especially after she started crawling, then walking (I think this tired her out enough to need a sleep). Now at 18 months she sleeps 12 hours at night and happily goes down for a 1-2 hour sleep at midday. So don't be disheartened by the bad day sleeps - it gets easier!

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you are in Melbourne I can highly recommend the Mother and Baby Unit at Mitcham Private Hospital. My DD and I went when she was four months old because she would hardly nap during day and would feed to sleep. It was the best thing I did. She goes into cot awake for all sleeps and she has naps. We're not on a routine, but are responsive to tired signs.
    The nurses there are lovely and work with you individually to reach your goals/aims for your stay. They are certainly not 'one size fits all approach.'
    If not in Victoria, do your research at the different schools and go to the one you feel most comfortable with. Good luck with your decision.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone. I have been given the hand out for one of the local sleep schools and I will try and implement the routine they have in there. I get a break from kindy runs over the next two weeks during school hols so I think I might knuckle down and try and get this bub to take some day naps.

I'm just a bit scared that if I mess around with her day sleeps (or lack thereof) then it might ruin the awesome night sleeps she's having.

I also feed her laying down and I really don't like how they discourage this because I have such a forceful let down and laying on our sides seems to help her manage it a bit better.

Wish I had a magic wand right about now! :/

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I know this is a really obvious question (!), but is she tired during the day? As in, is she a baby that fights all of her day sleeps but you can see she's exhausted, or is she quite content to be awake all day? Maybe she just isn't a day sleeper, esp since she gets a lot of sleep overnight?

Good luck, there's no easy answer, is there? I'm flat out managing the one I've got, I can only imagine how you are with another little person who needs you!