+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default How did you get your birth choices adhered to in a public hospy?

So now that I am getting further along with my pregnancy I am thinking about my birth choices.

For me, I believe the best place to birth would be in the hospital I have picked as it would make me feel the safest and most confident which I think will put me in the best position to birth effectively.

BUT I am realising that some of the choices I want may not be respected/encourage in a hospital environment and am wondering how other ppl who have been in a similar situation to me went about creating the birth they wanted.

I dont have it all worked out but the main things I think will be important to me, hubby and bub would be
    -labour at home as long as ossible
    -transfer to the hospital
    -natural as possible - no epidural or pain relief or synto (nothing set in stone and I am flexible but I don't want them pushing it down my throat. If it is something that I choice fine , but i don't want them pushing it on me or telling me I can't do it natural etc)
    -active birth - I want to be able to walk around, different positions etc. Possibly use the shower.
    -i am not opposed to monitoring but don't want it consistantly or if it means I can't have an active birth
    -i am mindful that constant monitoring could also pick up potential issues which would encourage a c-sect (how do I know if its a legit concern or if its just a timeline/random monitoring thing)
    -2nd stage not rushed - do i need to find out what the time limits are on this b4 the push for a csect?
    -baby put straight on my chest/breast (skin to skin)
    -delay cord clamping
    -natural 3rd stage (no oxy shot?? or is this just a given at most hospy these days?)
    -no hep b shot, haven't decided on vit k (but would like to hold off until a few hrs post birth at least to assess how traumtic the birth was and if we think its beneficial for the shot)?

So, do you think this is possible in a hospy environment and how do you suggest I go about expressing our wishes.

What things do I need to make 'non-negotiable' and what things do you think I need to be more flexible on?

Do you think I also need to to make 'plans' about how I would a c-sect etc?

Also, what things did you take into the hospital room with you to make you feel comfortable and 'at home'?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I have only ever birthed in public hospital and have been supported in all my choices. A lot of what you mentions was covered at appointments later in the pregnancy. Actually from my experiences most of what you are hoping for is pretty normal and standard practice these days anyway. It's a lot more mother focused- as little intervention as possible unless needed. Of course not all hospitals are like that but it's all just a matter of expressing your wishes to your care provider, and maybe have a birth plan written up for your peace of mind.

The birth plan template on here is pretty good
    Last edited by SheWarrior; 26-06-2012 at 18:40.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am planning to birth in a public hospital and have been going through the midwives for pregnancy care. Everything you mentioned apart from the vacs was discussed and is considered normal. With both the hep b and vit k I had a discussion with the midwife and then signed a consent form for each injection. I would suggest discussing your choices with the hospital you are choosing to birth at to get their policies but am sure you'll be fine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    You just described my last birth, which was in hospital. I had a birth plan, and took a great Doula with me. I was also lucky to have a middy who was a homebirther herselve. I had a great labour and went home shortly avter.
    Oh, and I also made my wishes known at each appointment (I went shared care so I didnt have to argue with the hospy about every choice I made in my pregnancy like lack ov GTT and limited ultrasounds etc), and gave them a copy ov my birthplan and took one along with me and my Doula and my support people were all aware ov my choices.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had an intervention free birth in a public hospital. I laboured at home as long as I could and didn't get to hospital til just before the pushing stage.
    The midwife let me do whatever I wanted. The only monitoring I had was a doppler once.
    I had a birth plan but didn't get time to show anyone. I did put a bit about csect in there. Mainly so I could think about it so that if it did happen it wasn't a complete shock.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I think your best bet to maintain your birth wishes is to stick to point #1 - stay at home as long as possible. At home, there is no monitoring, there are no drugs or drips.

I had a drug free birth with my second. I stayed at home for ages, made it to hospital with one hour before baby was born. By the time I got to the hospital, it was too late for any epidural anyway.

I had no injection for delivery of placenta.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have one of the best baby-friendly maternity hospitals here, and their preference is (all going well) to stay home as long as possible, drugs were on offer but not pushed and the mother is watched but not interfered with unless necessary or she asks. This is why I trusted that any last-minute interventions would be necessary. I was left alone with my cousin until I called them in at pushing stage. Then it was 2 pushes to get the head out and one for the shoulders and she slid out then. No drugs, no intervention, no pushy behaviour. So my wishes are in line with theirs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    I have had 5 public birth and had all of those things with out asking, it was a matter of ticking or not ticking the boxes on the form the hospital gave me

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had an intervention-free birth at a public hospy, and pretty much all of the things you've listed are standard practice in our local hospital - I think that natural, active, intervention-free birth is generally seen as 'best practice' in maternity these days.
    However, I do know that all hospitals are different, and I have heard some horror stories about hospitals pushing intervention on Mums. I found that while I was pregnant, I got a really good feel for what my hospital believes, what their practices are, etc. during appoinments. I found doing antenatal classes at the hospital really useful - not because I learned a lot about how to give birth, but because it gave me a good feel for what the hospital's birth practices are, they talked a lot about the ideal of natural birth, how they will encourage and help a woman with different positions, etc.

The only intervention that I had was the oxytocin to deliver the placenta afterwards. In an appoinment beforehand, the middies discussed the pros and cons of oxy, gave me info on it, left it with me to make a decision, and I just had to sign a form saying I consented to oxy. After I gave birth, the midwife again confirmed with me that I would like to use the oxy to deliver the placenta, and gave me the option to change my mind if I wanted to.

I would recommend asking lots of questions at appointments, etc at the hospital and doing antenatal classes, to get a good feel for what the hospital aims for & if they are a 'low intervention' hospital. If they aren't, you'll go into it knowing you might have to push for your birth choices a bit more.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Find out what models of care the hospital offers and go from there. Is there a midwifery led program where you can have some continuity of care so that people will know your wishes?