+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    DS1 has just spent the last 2 days in my bed running a temp between 38 - 39.5
    I stripped him down but had a blanket and doona on him for him to control (pulling up pushng off)
    Kept up his fluids and didn't feed him (that sounds awful) ...he didn't ask for food I didn't offer it.
    He drank right throughout the first night - the second night he slept better, maybe waking only 3 times for a drink of water.
    Got him an ice pack for his nose when it started bleeding.

Today he still feels crappy - but his temp has gone back to normal, his lips and cheeks are normal..I'm bettng his appetite returns tonight.

I only give painkillers if they are complaining of constant aches, or if teh temp goes really high without breaking.

ETA> Oh and LOTS of cuddles

2. The Following User Says Thank You to FiveInTheBed For This Useful Post:

Bonkers  (26-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lil miss View Post
    Nurofen. Neither of the girls will take
    Panadol. And I only give it if they are uncomfortable. If they are hot/have fever and are still relatively happy and whatever then I just leave them
    I don't blame them ,,, have u tried the panadol?? So gross!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Smartiecat For This Useful Post:

Bonkers  (26-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Bell & Bug View Post
    I only really give medication if they are in pain. I haven't been faced with very many instances of high temperatures but I just kept them comfortable in the few instances I have been faced with.
    (with respect) the aches and pains that usually go with a fever don't count as pain?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Smartiecat For This Useful Post:

Bonkers  (26-06-2012)

jbish is offline “Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” Dr Seuss
    Thanks
    Reviews
    If she has a fever and is still playing and not miserable, I won't do anything except try to keep her in comfortable clothes etc. If she is in pain along with the fever I use panadol or nurofen to treat the pain.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to jbish For This Useful Post:

Bonkers  (26-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Panadol/nurofen when necessary for high temps - teamed with a cool facewasher and light clothes. My kids are prone to very high temps and with that vomiting - especially at night - I'd rather avoid that.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Raising Leprechauns For This Useful Post:

Bonkers  (26-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartiecat View Post
    (with respect) the aches and pains that usually go with a fever don't count as pain?
    I wouldn't really say aches and pains are 'usual' with a fever, unless the underlying cause of the fever is also causing aches and pains. I am often feeling otherwise fine when I have a fever, occasionally a headache though.

I rarely medicate a fever. A fever is there to help fight the illness, bringing a temp down will do nothing to help fight the illness itself. This isn't what I believe, this is fact. I will medicate if they are in pain, or if they are unable to sleep due to discomfort (sleep is another important step to take towards recovery).

I did give paracetamol afew weeks ago when my 4yo woke up with a 40.3 temp and was so roasting hot he couldn't sleep. Prior to that he'd been at high 39's but I did not medicate as he was otherwise fine. Most bottles of children's analgesics I buy get chucked out still mostly full because they are past their useby as I never use them.

I also would NOT take a child to ED for a temp, unless of extenuating circumstances.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartiecat View Post
    I'm the same, I treat the symptoms and the pain and do things to prevent the temp escalating (as in, strip to a nappy and a shirt, take off bedding etc)

But I figure if he's (and surely one day she, but she's not had a temp so far) not at all distressed or uncomfortable I let the temperature do its job and find more often than not he bounces up healthy and happy (some times to my irritation after being up all night) first thing in the morning.

He had a 39.1 deg temp and barely even a grumble. bit of crazy fever singing at 3am but not upset so I left it untreated medically.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I treat the symptoms, not the fever.

My kids are prone to high fevers when they have viruses. I have never known them to 'just' have a temp of 38-39. It's always 40+. I've been to several Dr's and ALL have told me the same thing - the height of a temp is not important.

Anecdotally though, my kids are always uncomfortable by 39.5-40 degrees so usually have panadol by then

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I don't treat a fever either with medication or natural methods, I welcome it. I have spent many a night sitting up with a feverish child, giving them fluids and making sure they are ok. I am REALLY scared of reducing a fever and taking away the bodies natural defence to illness. Once the fever breaks, my kids bounce back to health really quickly, I have seen it so many times now. I strongly believe they are healthier for it. There is alot of unecessary fear of fevers and alot of misinformation, parents are scared when they don't need to be. It took me a long time to get rid of the old thinking. It is great to see that some big hospitals are starting to put up signs about the importance of fever now too

I have had children with fevers at the ER before but not because of the fever, because of other symptoms, I have had a 12 day old bub with meningitis before and the small country hospital wanted to reduce her fever (I wouldn't let them) but once we were flown to Brisbane, the large hospital did not once suggest bringing her fever down
    Last edited by Ffrenchknickers; 26-06-2012 at 19:35.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    If DS is hot and happy, I leave him be.

If he's hot and miserable, I give him Panadol/Nurofen.

And when he has tonsillitis I give him both as otherwise he can get to 42 degrees or higher, is in pain and very unhappy.

So like PP have said, I treat the symptoms not the fever.