+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Well if someone gave you money for a microwave and you didnt need one then the common sense thing to do would be to say no thank you as i have one. Or is that just my thinking?? If this lady didnt want a photo shoot then she should have said so.
    I would love to have recieved a photo shoot for the birth of my daughter OP, i think its a brilliant, thoughtful gift

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Beetle View Post
    Sorry you've lost my sympathies. You clearly think single parents are living the high life. Maybe just ask her why she spent the money rather than making assumptions. Now I'm off to spend the riches I get as a single parent.
    who said single parents are living the high life?? if you are referring to my post (i am not OP) i was saying that when i was a single parent, i was getting more from the government than when i was working, simply stating that it's hard either way!

OP has tried to ask her why she spent the money, but she won't answer her calls.

enjoy your riches!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Being a single parent is very difficult and especially when you gave 4 children. I have a friend who is in this exact situation and sometimes has to go to charities to get help with food and bills. The help she gets is never enough but it is help. She often asks to borrow money from me. I always hand it over knowing that I'll never see it again because there is no way she'll ever be able to pay it back. That is ok though because I hand it over with no expectations.

Back to the OP... I think that once you hand a gift to someone whether it is an actual gift or cash it is now theirs to do what they want. In a situation like this it is likely that it was spent on something important. However if I am ever given money for something or my DD then I keep it to spend on that thing. I feel it is honouring the other persons wishes and in the case of my DD it is her money not mine! To avoid someone spending cash on something it wasn't meant for the best option is to buy the gift they want or a gift voucher. Cash is way too easy to spend when it's sitting there looking at you

Thanks
    Reviews
    also, in regards to rego, when i was a single mum i used to get (i think it was rego) for free because i was a single parent... i know it was a huge bill that i was exempt from paying!

single parents have it hard, single income families have it hard and even double income families struggle! this isn't an argument about who struggles the most, it's about common courtesy and manners! what she did was rude, and the fact that she's not answering her phone gives me the impression she knows it was rude!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I vote that it is very rude.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by truely blessed View Post
    also, in regards to rego, when i was a single mum i used to get (i think it was rego) for free because i was a single parent... i know it was a huge bill that i was exempt from paying!

single parents have it hard, single income families have it hard and even double income families struggle! this isn't an argument about who struggles the most, it's about common courtesy and manners! what she did was rude, and the fact that she's not answering her phone gives me the impression she knows it was rude!
    Rego free for single mums?? I don't think so!!! I work with mostly single young Mums and I know Car expenses such as rego are often the hardest to pay.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think the fact that they agreed to the photoshoot is why op is hurt.. and that she is now not going ahead with that and lastly ignoring op..

Op- Im assuming in the argument that something came up where she needed the money, you might not have been offended if say she had called you and explained the situation/ asked if she could use the gift money for that, as she had agreed to spend the money on the pics, the pics were the gift, not the cash.

Well I think its not so much rude that she spent the money (if she needed too) but more she could have communicated to you first as to why instead of just taking it rather then getting the real gift and then ignoring you
    .. right?

Yes I find that rude. xx

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by truely blessed View Post
    who said single parents are living the high life?? if you are referring to my post (i am not OP) i was saying that when i was a single parent, i was getting more from the government than when i was working, simply stating that it's hard either way!

OP has tried to ask her why she spent the money, but she won't answer her calls.

enjoy your riches!
    When were you working? My first job paid $320 (lol) for full-time work. But that was a decade ago!

The current legal minimum award rate of $589.30 is higher than a single parent with one child earns and if you have children you get FTB and rent assistance on top of your wage from work.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree that she must have a good reason. If you had given her a gift voucher and she returned it for the money, I think that would be rude. You gave her cash, so even thought you wanted her to spend that cash a certain way, the money was the gift. So I can understand why she would spend it another way if something more important came up.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    What did she spend it on? I wouldn't worry too much really, you gave her cash for her birthday. It's not worth stressing about.

My family asked me what I want for my birthday and I said I really have everything I need, although wouldn't mind some car seat covers for my car so just give me a little bit of money to put toward them. Well, now I've sorta changed my mind The money is still sitting at home but I would honestly like to go and buy myself some nice clothes for when DP takes me away soon.

I don't see how this is different. Maybe the time for the shoot came and she thought the money could be better spent elsewhere?

Wouldn't you rather she spend the money on something else than something she doesn't want/need?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

Stiflers Mom  (28-06-2012)