+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Biting bub :( feeling a little low and just need some encouragement

My DS is now 7.5months old, has had his bottom two teeth for a couple of months and is now teething again. One top tooth has just emerged. Over a past few days he has started biting/ chewing on me during feeds with his bottom teeth which are like little razors. I am giving him cold teethers to chew prior to feeds, bonjela on gums, stretching feeds so he's really hungry when he gets on, being strict with correct attachment and saying "no" and detaching....we've had mixed and inconsistent success.

I am hoping that this is just connected to teething and will be a short phase.

Have been feeling a little fragile as am worried that my BF journey may end earlier than I'd hoped and BF is the thing that I've felt really proud of.

I know it's stupid but I feel like it has redeemed me as a mother as I've felt a twinge of failure due to having an emergency c-section.

Please understand that rationally I know that it doesn't matter 'how' just that my baby came into the world healthy.

However, I can't help but have a small feeling of failure still whenever I hear of someone I know delivering naturally.... Like a bit of disappointment in myself that I wasn't a natural mother and Breastfeeding has always made me really good.

Just looking for some success stories of mums who've overcome the biting....or perhaps have overcome guilt over silly birth story comparisons.....

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by giggle berry View Post
    My DS is now 7.5months old, has had his bottom two teeth for a couple of months and is now teething again. One top tooth has just emerged. Over a past few days he has started biting/ chewing on me during feeds with his bottom teeth which are like little razors. I am giving him cold teethers to chew prior to feeds, bonjela on gums, stretching feeds so he's really hungry when he gets on, being strict with correct attachment and saying "no" and detaching....we've had mixed and inconsistent success.

I am hoping that this is just connected to teething and will be a short phase.

Have been feeling a little fragile as am worried that my BF journey may end earlier than I'd hoped and BF is the thing that I've felt really proud of.

I know it's stupid but I feel like it has redeemed me as a mother as I've felt a twinge of failure due to having an emergency c-section.

Please understand that rationally I know that it doesn't matter 'how' just that my baby came into the world healthy.

However, I can't help but have a small feeling of failure still whenever I hear of someone I know delivering naturally.... Like a bit of disappointment in myself that I wasn't a natural mother and Breastfeeding has always made me really good.

Just looking for some success stories of mums who've overcome the biting....or perhaps have overcome guilt over silly birth story comparisons.....
    Hi Giggleberry I didn't have a very good birth the first time around and breastfeeding was so important to me as well :hug: my tips for biting are to pull them into the breast to detach them, they can't draw breath and they let go with much less trauma to your nipple compared to poking your finger in there (which I found made things worse) then I plop baby on the floor at my feet and tell them NO and I ignore them for a little bit, you'll know how long to leave them. I don't personally don't think stretching feeds out is a good idea one it's not good for your supply/demand and two I don't fancy a starving hungry baby getting more poopy while waiting for let down a good no-biting combination!

On the birth note have you looked at the birth rights website?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

giggle berry  (26-06-2012)

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    I TOTALLY understand what you mean about redeeming yourself!
    I found DD would sometimes bite me if he head wasn't fully supported and she was getting tired, start to slip off and her reaction was to bite me. I immediately took her off, put her down and said very sternly "No!". If I put my hand behind her head so she couldn't slip off she didn't bite.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks, will try your technique, good point about the hungry impatient baby....will stop stretching him.

In regards to the birth I actually had a really good labour but after an hr of pushing it became apparent that the opening to my pelvis was just too small for my already severely moulded babies head to enter the birth canal and c-section was our only option.... I think the fact that the whole labour to that point had gone so well has made it harder to accept that couldn't finish what I started...I guess I just need to let it go and move past it....actually didn't realise it still bothered me till I heard news of my cousin delivering naturally....

Thanks
    Reviews
    My Dd went through the same phase - I think at about 9 months. Oh my god was it painful - it felt like she'd bitten off half my nipple! But she only did it for a few days (felt like forever at the time though). I agree with Thermolicious - detach, say a firm 'No!' and place on the ground for a few minutes. I hope it doesn't last too much longer for you.

I'm not sure about the birth aspect sorry - I'm sure some other hubbers will have some helpful suggestions for you.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sunnybambino For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I completely understand how you feel This was happening to me recently. The biting lasted six weeks and he was drawing blood most feeds. I was so distressed about possibly weaning as I was in alot of pain and became quite fearful to feed DS. Every time he bit I would do as OP said and push him into my boob to get him off, tell him no and put him down for a few moments. If he continued to bite I would put him on the floor for longer periods. I couldn't see past it at the time but happy to say we've had no biting the past couple of weeks. Good luck

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MissRose1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks guys, really great to hear from those who have come out the other side! I really appreciate you taking the time to give your support!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks again for all the support! The biting seems to have stopped just ensured attachment was good, bottom tucked right in close to my body and detached him calmly each time he'd bite and make him wait a minute before reattaching!

I am so relieved and grateful to those of you who offered your suggestions!