+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Our site cut was 14th October 2011, and we should be finished mid-late August. So ten months (including about 3-4 weeks of rain delays!).

ETA We signed our contract 14th July 2011, so it was three months between then and commencement.
    Last edited by lambjam; 26-06-2012 at 14:44.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by waitsee View Post
    Something to watch for some education would be a grand designs episode, to show stages of the process and delays and pitfalls people can experience.
    Not to mention the hundreds of thousands of dollars, I mean reasons why people with no experience in project management should stick to what they know

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Ours took 14 months from signing contracts. 8 months from site cut to handover.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know when my parents house was built it took 7 - 8 months from start of site works until handing over the keys. It was a custom built and it was actually not finished when we moved in. My parents had run out of money so there was no back deck and another part of the house (that wasn't essential for us to move in) wasn't remotely finished. Those parts were finished about 2 years later from memory.

BUT, as it was custom designed I think it took about 2 years from when Dad went to the architect to when it got through council and then we found a builder who was willing to take it on.

It really can be a long process.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mim1 View Post
    BUT, as it was custom designed I think it took about 2 years from when Dad went to the architect to when it got through council and then we found a builder who was willing to take it on.

It really can be a long process.
    Oh, I didn't even think about this. We went to our first architect in August 2010... so it will be two years from that point until we move in!

Admittedly ours took longer than it should have because we switched building companies and had to start the whole process again from scratch .

Thanks
    Reviews
    We had friends stay for 6 months while building. We ended up housing them for almost two years!! Lol.. lucky we liked them.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Depends on the house and the employment in the area at the time.

One sister of mine - took 16 months with a builder going bust, but it is a palace with a pool, individiually architect designed. The ended up getting most of the finishing done themselves and paid immediately on invoice directly to the tradies - word got around and they were lining up for the work.

My other sister started after her, project home (but still very nice) in an area where there are heaps of tradies who settled there and then the building starts went right down - so lots of tradies willing to work weekends etc just to get an invoice in.

If trades are hard to come by or are really busy, it would take a lot longer.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you already have your land and it is registered ready to build on...

initial meeting with builder to discuss design and for them to do a soil test 1-3 weeks
    Accept tender and have drafts of plans drawn up 1-3 weeks
    Sign plans and submit to council - 1-3months
    During this time you select colours
    Once plans have been approved by council materials are then ordered
    1-3 weeks
    Now build commences - some builders quote 16 weeks, some 20 weeks

If you delay builder example, not have land registered, land not settled, don't have section 149 or 88B, sewer diagrams, finance in order... it may take longer.