+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default How long does it REALLY take to build?

As the title states, How long does it really take to build a house? We are weighing up building or buying. The builders all say a 16 week build time but people we have spoken to have said more like 12 months. I guess this is wet weather? Waiting for building to actually start etc. Is there much prep work for the land prior to construction commencing? We r completly new to this so ALL advice greatly appreciated

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    12 months we were told, 16 weeks is for the actual construction time. We are 4 weeks into building, we were told actual construction won't start until approximately 30 weeks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    From start of building to keys handed over - 9 weeks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I haven't had a house built yet, but my husband has qualifications in building site supervision, and he is quite wary of any builders who say they can hand you the keys in under three months. Lots of builders speed up processes and don't actually allow enough time for good practice (I.e start putting up frames before the foundation has been left long enough to settle and set properly).

Thanks
    Reviews
    We were told 6 months from signing to handover but the slab wasn't poured for 8 months due to various delays. Ended up being around 14 months total

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    The actual build is approx 16wks. There is a lot if prep time, evening of the block if needed, permits etc from council all take their sweet time and of course weather comes into play. If one thing gets delayed it puts everything out of whack

Thanks
    Reviews
    From slab being laid to keys being handed over we were about 6 months - whole time from signing on however was 13 months.

With building there are so many 'hidden extras' some cheaper builders don't include - I'd make sure the price they quote you includes everything you want

A GF recently was quoted $80k higher final price than the initial advertised price - everything seems to be an add on with some builders!

Do your homework!

Thanks
    Reviews
    From signing to handover it was 9 months. Actual construction time was around 4.5 months.

Thanks
    Reviews
    it really depends in what you are building and the site you are building on. iv had clients complete in as little as 14 weeks from slab and others well over a year. you have to buy and settle on land, council planning takes 6 weeks sometimes more, drc (if applicable), slab cutting, retaining, weather effects timing, different trades effect timing, size and detail effect timing. who are you looking to build with ?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

waitsee is offline “While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Something to watch for some education would be a grand designs episode, to show stages of the process and delays and pitfalls people can experience.

Sent from my GT-N7000B using BubHub