+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ishtyban View Post
    I hate the way "helicopter" parent is thrown around as in insult.

why?
    some people are and some people are not..it does not need to be used as an insult.
    they say "helicopter" I hear "adequately supervising"

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Boobycino For This Useful Post:

Happy2be3  (27-06-2012),Jakois  (27-06-2012),Lillynix  (27-06-2012),MissMuppet  (27-06-2012),ShanandBoc  (27-06-2012),VicPark  (28-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldn't invite a person, I did not know, into my home to supervise my children, so I'm not about ti leave my children alone with strangers in public.

Dont they say the majority of sexual assaults occur by people you know. . . .

Sent from my LT18a using BubHub

4. The Following User Says Thank You to speckled For This Useful Post:

ChickyBee  (27-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Ishtyban View Post
    I hate the way "helicopter" parent is thrown around as in insult.

why?
    some people are and some people are not..it does not need to be used as an insult.
    Because so often if you say you don't helicopter parent you are accused of not adequately supervising. I am not a helicopter parent (by my interpretation of the word) but I don't disagree with anyone else's right to parent as they wish - just please don't accuse me of not adequately supervising just because others choose to parent differently.
    Last edited by Sonja; 26-06-2012 at 23:30.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

FearlessLeader  (27-06-2012),Mum2EandR  (27-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    And FWIW I don't think supervising kids in toilets is helicopter parenting

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brooke88(mum2b09) View Post
    Sadly it happens all too often. It's not about being paranoid, it's about protecting your child.
    I'm pretty sure someone posted something a little while ago about a girl whose father sent her into the toilets and waited outside for her and there was someone waiting in there.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I think she may have actually been killed?
    Not worth the risk.

http://mobile.news.com.au/top-storie...-1111114822414

http://edition.cnn.com/US/9811/16/boy.killed.02/

Stupid link!
    This day 6 years ago Sofia was murdered! It's heart breaking reading the article.

One of my ex bfs and my cousin were approached in male toilet, they were old enough and strong enough to protect themselves so nothing happened. There are people in this thread that work/involve with the police and from what they said, the risk is there, I'm not going to take it.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to lovesushi For This Useful Post:

MissMuppet  (27-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I dont have kids yet, however its not just the risk of kids being attacked but what they may see and hear that I dont want my kids exposed to on their own until they are old enough to deal with the situation and leave. (so to answer the question prob when they start high school and actually really understand and can get away quickly )

You hear stories all the time of people meeting up at toilets and as consensual adults participate in activities that I would not want my child exposed to (even if they are not predators out to involve my child). I dont want my child to see or hear that (and if im with them then I could get them out of there asap before they knew anything was going on)

This is going to sound weird but Im concerned now if DH has been in the toilet too long as he actually got cornered and "chatted up" in a toilet once, he had to push past the guy to get away. lucky he is a strong guy and he was not in one of the cubicles (with no escape)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Funny, this thread reminded me of TWO times now. I have been to drop DS1 off at school in the morning and stop in at our big shopping center. Go into the female toilets only to find men in there.

Makes me think if maybe they were waiting for teen/pre teen girls to go in before school.....

Thanks
    Reviews
    My son is 6. Before my partner came along when he was 4 he always came in wit me then around 5 he only really goes publicly if my partner goes so he goes wit him. A couple of times he needed to go and said he's a boy so goes to the boys. If I'm by myself though I stand outside that door and keep yelling out to him to hear he's ok. I watch too much tv lol and alot can happen in a toilet. One time I'm there yelling out to him every few minutes to which he responds gee mum I'm doing a poo lol was so funny!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My son is 6 and I still take him in to the womens toilet.

Honestly, I keep taking him in for as long as I feel is needed. Even if he is 9 or 10. I dont feel it is safe for him to go into a mans toilet on his own.

I dont care what other women think. There is a door on the toilet stalls, it isnt as if they are walking around naked in there.

I couldnt care less if there are little boys in the womens toilets

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Blueberry Crumble For This Useful Post:

Ffrenchknickers  (27-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    oh geeze i didnt even think of this!! ill prob just take ds to ladies or disabled depending where we are and if dh was there.

Even at school i remeber there being a buddy system so there must be some kind of danger that people are aware of....i dont think its paranoia at all