+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Raising Leprechauns View Post

Our local swim school has a sign up saying no boys in the ladies change room after 5. There is no way I am letting DS get changed alone in a room full of strangers! Im just choosing to ignore the sign at the moment.

People could stare all they want - if I feel the need to take my DS to the loo with me for safety reasons I'll do it. I dare anyone to object to my face
    I think the idea is you use the family change rooms. I've had my kids in the ladies' change room at the pool and had an older boy stare at DD1 while she was getting undressed and it made her really uncomfortable. I don't think he was being anything but curious but it was definitely awkward. Once DS reaches 5 if not before we'll only use the parents change room at a pool.

No way I'm letting a kid go to a toilet on their own til 12. I've had some bad experiences at mother's rooms alone with a baby. Some people just have no boundaries. We also mainly use disabled toilets so we can all fit in.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've never really thought about this until now as ds is only 14 months old. However I think I will make him use the disabled toilets for as long as we can.

When I was googling a park for a picnic we had and the first website was a website that had meeting places for gay men and our local woolworths was on there! (I'm not trying to say they are pedofiles however I would not like my son to be somewhere like that!) So you really don't know what happens in public toilets.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Eko View Post
    When he can wipe reliably alone, and only if there is only one exit and entry got me to stand at
    Seriously?! Most year one students can wipe on their own but certainly wouldn't be able to protect themselves against a child sx offender in a toilet with only one exit. It is so important that we educate ourselves about the best ways the keep our kids safe. I wouldn't allow my son into the men's in his own until high school. Disabled until then I think. Just not worth the risk.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jennybaby For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (26-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My boys are 4 and 2, so no time soon!!!!! I always take them to the ladies, parents rm or disabled loos. Wouldn't dream of letting them use the mens toilet until they're at least 13. Too many weirdos around!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lemonpancakes View Post
    I have a daughter so this isn't a problem for me but I do wonder, what will my husband do when he's out with DD and she needs the loo? (She's still in nappies so I've never thought about this!).
    Same with me. A few weeks ago I was BF in a parents room and a guy came in with a little girl. My split second initial thought was what was a guy doing in here, then the next second I thought this is exactly where my DH would go while out with DD. Thankfully he was pretty respectful and didn't make me feel uncomfortable.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Ive never really thought about it because DS is only 20 months but i guess around 10 or 11. Though it would depend on the situation.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS is still too young now but I don't think I could let him go in male's toilets by himself until at least 10. I don't know why some ladies would have problem with little boys in ladies toilets, not like there's something they can see.

Just out of curiosity how does it work with daddy and little daughter if there's no parents room?

edit: sorry just saw a pp already raised the question.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS is turning 6 and asking to go to the boys. I have on occasion allowed him to use the mens alone - but its a case by case decision. Apart from that we use the disabled or parents room.

Our local swim school has a sign up saying no boys in the ladies change room after 5. There is no way I am letting DS get changed alone in a room full of strangers! Im just choosing to ignore the sign at the moment.

People could stare all they want - if I feel the need to take my DS to the loo with me for safety reasons I'll do it. I dare anyone to object to my face
    If its a swim school why can't a mum take a boy into the boys change room ... Unless there are babies classes as the same time dads might be changing??

My sis has just complained at her daughter swim school ... Her daughter is 11 there is 9yo boys getting changed in the girls ... No babies classes run at the same time ... Why should her daughter have to get changed in a toilet because she is uncomfortable changing in front of a boy in the girls change room?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Smartiecat For This Useful Post:

Ellymoe  (27-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Our pool has that sign too. It's difficult but needs to be followed somewhat. I have 3x issues when I go to the pool- DS1 is almost 10yo, so I let him to go the men's changeroom on his own, which is uncomfortable for me but to make him go to the women's would be humiliating for him. Then I have almost 7yo DD, who obviously comes with me to the ladies, but then there's always mums with their school aged boys in there that stare at DD when she's changing. If any of them went to her school she would probably burst into tears. And lastly there's almost 5yo DS, who comes to the ladies with me as he cannot get clothes on his damp little body without alot of help. He is very self conscious and last week he said a girl from his preschool was there, looked at his peepee and laughed. He was mortified and said he couldn't be friends with her anymore.
    There are no family changerooms at our pool. And no cubicles with doors (for showers). But I will have to do something about DS. Maybe I will take him out of the shower area wrapped in a towel and change him in the corner of the large changeroom, away from all the little girls. I think that other parents of boys should also consider doing this or similar, it's only fair for the girls that need to use the changeroom.

Toilets I have no issue with as the doors are closed so no one needs to see anyone else's bits!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I agree mm - have I missed something? Parents room? Not mothers room.