+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Ishtyban View Post
    I think in all honesty, there is no right or wrong.
    If a child gets attacked, the guilt lies purely on the psycho that attacked them.

Whether you are a helicopter or free range parent, no child should be attacked.

We just all do what we do, to get through best we can.
    I agree. I tend to free range as a parent and strongly dislike the assumption that if I do I am not adequately supervising my kids. I assess each and every situation and if I think the risks outweigh the benefits I supervise closely, if not I move back. Being more on the free range side of the line doesn't equate to being a neglectful parent.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

Alexander Beetle  (27-06-2012),Mum2EandR  (27-06-2012),Piffle  (27-06-2012),Stiflers Mom  (28-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I think in all honesty, there is no right or wrong.
    If a child gets attacked, the guilt lies purely on the psycho that attacked them.

Whether you are a helicopter or free range parent, no child should be attacked.

We just all do what we do, to get through best we can.
    I disagree. If a parent does something that according to society (let's say DOCS) puts their child at an unacceptable level of risk ... And something bad happens to the child then the parents are partially to blame.

Eg. Parents leave 2 year old in car alone while they 'duck into the shops.' A sicko sees this and kidnaps the kid. In that case both the sicko and parents need a good flogging.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    After having started this thread & reading responses it dawned on me I had never asked what my husband does when he takes our son to the toilet (while im at work for example) He said that yes, he takes our 4 year old to the Mens but only uses the end stalls. He said he teaches our son how to use the urinals only if the toilets are empty. He then did tell me that on a couple of occasions our son has asked his dad to wait outside the cubicle... I have to say this made me nervous and we have since discussed this thread and I told him he is to stay in the cubicle with our son for now and that if rather he use the parents room or disabled toilet.

***Sent from my phone***

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Beetle View Post
    I don't understand what you mean by that statement?
    Which part? The rotating blades on a hat was my smartass reference to me being a "helicopter parent".

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I disagree. If a parent does something that according to society (let's say DOCS) puts their child at an unacceptable level of risk ... And something bad happens to the child then the parents are partially to blame.

Eg. Parents leave 2 year old in car alone while they 'duck into the shops.' A sicko sees this and kidnaps the kid. In that case both the sicko and parents need a good flogging.
    Exactly right! We live in an educated society compared to that of previous generations. If you know there is a risk with real and serious consequences and you choose to ignore it, then it should be on your shoulders if something does indeed happen.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jennybaby For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (28-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I hate the way "helicopter" parent is thrown around as in insult.

why?
    some people are and some people are not..it does not need to be used as an insult.
    It wasn't INTENDED as an insult.... :s just a descriptive term to describe the type of parent I don't personally want to be. I don't mean there's anything wrong with it.

And don't get me started on ducking out and leaving kids in the car for short periods of time. I got in trouble in a recent thread for going against the majority there too!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennybaby View Post
    Exactly right! We live in an educated society compared to that of previous generations. If you know there is a risk with real and serious consequences and you choose to ignore it, then it should be on your shoulders if something does indeed happen.
    So now people who let there children use the toilet unsupervised are putting their children at 'risk' or uneducated? My oh my.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Alexander Beetle For This Useful Post:

Piffle  (27-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy2be3 View Post
    After having started this thread & reading responses it dawned on me I had never asked what my husband does when he takes our son to the toilet (while im at work for example) He said that yes, he takes our 4 year old to the Mens but only uses the end stalls. He said he teaches our son how to use the urinals only if the toilets are empty. He then did tell me that on a couple of occasions our son has asked his dad to wait outside the cubicle... I have to say this made me nervous and we have since discussed this thread and I told him he is to stay in the cubicle with our son for now and that if rather he use the parents room or disabled toilet.

***Sent from my phone***
    Why does he need to stay in the cubicle and not outside the cubicle door?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Beetle View Post
    So now people who let there children use the toilet unsupervised are putting their children at 'risk' or uneducated? My oh my.
    Yes they are. The risk is there, its not an urban legend. Ask any police officer if they let their child go into a public bathroom unsupervised.

If you supervise your children in a public bathroom, you take away the risk, simple.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

Happy2be3  (28-06-2012),VicPark  (28-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I am lucky, I have girls and will be going into public toilets with them until they're teenagers or longer! I can forever use the excuse that I need to use the loo too!

ETA, I wouldn't have a problem seeing a mum and son in the womans toilet, knowing I would do the same if I had a son!
    Last edited by 3InATub; 27-06-2012 at 20:53.