+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default How do I overcome this fear?

Hello I am looking for some positive parent to parent advice on how to deal with my overwhelming fear that my child is going to get sick again.

We found out he gets febrile convulsions the other day - 5 in a row. It's caused from a spike in temp and turned out he had a virus and was in hospital for a week so they could keep an eye on the convulsions.

My problem is this - I was a very happy mum and now I have turned into a worry wort and practically doing my own head in. I am in constant fear this is going to happen again, this morning he has a temp of 38.2 and I am freaking out already.

I feel I am not strong enough to see my child unwell again and I feel that I am letting my family down by being a crumbling mess when any little hint of sickness pokes its head.

I am constantly running around with a temp gauge in his ear/can't sleep at night thinking one is going to happen in his sleep etc etc

How can I get my mindset straight??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    You need to realise that you ARE strong enough. If your child needs you, you will be there and do the best you can. You need to rest assured that you are capable!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Febrile convulsions are scary but your child will grow out of them. I haven't experienced them myself but I know how frightening it is because my parents still talk about the ones my brother had and my SIL experienced it with her DS. It's important to stay calm though, they are rarely dangerous to the child. You will only make yourself sick with the worry when it may never happen again. Do you use a baby monitor? We have a video monitor that wasn't that expensive (uniden from **** smith) and it gives me great peace of mind at night. I can relate in a different way because my DS has a severe peanut allergy and I have to control my fear especially when it comes to leaving him with others. A lot of people don't seem to understand the seriousness of his allergy. I suggest you just have a plan in place for if it happens again so that you can remain calm and be less stressed knowing that you know what to do and that medical help is available if needed. I take comfort in the fact that the medical help we received by the ambulance service and hospitals have been amazing and we will be well looked after if the need arises. I have used the health line a bit in situations where I am worried and unsure of what to do and they have been wonderful (13health I think it is). The nurses on there are calm and very reassuring. I hope you can find a way to be reassured that your child will be ok if it happens again and will grow out of it in time with no long term effects and if you are worried, help is always at hand. Control the controllable. Hugs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thankyou

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It does eventually fade- the worry that is- the longer and longer from the convulsions the more things normalise...

My child has had one which was pretty scary but luckily we were already at the hospital- she ended up in intensive care for a week afterwards- so I completely know how you are feeling- I panicked about the slighest sneeze etc... due to the severity of the initial seizure we were given medication to carry at all times with my child- I was so scared of it happening again preschool was postponed for a yr!

The longer the time between the convulsions the better- I think by memory after 12 months of no more then they are pretty much no more likely than any other kid to have them again.
    TBH what happened with us changed who I am as a parent and I am a lot more of a worrier now but it is ok to worry just dont let it take control of EVERYTHING

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My kids haven't had convulsions, but they've had a few bad bouts of illness and it's super scary. It always took me a while to recover, especially when my ds ended up in hospital or had the ambulance out. Don't expect to be super relaxed this soon after such a big trauma. The good news is that although you didn't know what was going on when he had those seizures, now you know that he has febrile convulsions and if he has one you don't need to worry it's something serious. You'll know what to do and although it will still be scary hopefully it won't be terrifying (and there is a difference).

I was talking to a friend with a ds who has febrile convulsions and she does manage to somehow relax between episodes, but did admit to a bit of anxiety every time he got sick. He hasn't had a convulsion for 4 months now and he's 5, so she's hoping that there won't be any more. My brother had 3 convulsions on one day from febrile convulsions and never had any more, so that's totally possible too!