+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Suffering is suffering. I disagree with the PP who said that a dog would say that dog suffering is the worst - I don't think one has ever known unconditional love until they have had a dog.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

NancyBlackett  (26-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    Suffering is suffering. I disagree with the PP who said that a dog would say that dog suffering is the worst - I don't think one has ever known unconditional love until they have had a dog.
    Loved my dog but sorry I don't think one has ever known unconditional love until they have had a baby

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I actually don't think this anyway. I personally get more saddened by animal deaths than human deaths. I guess I see animals as a bit on par with small children - they are just so innocent and usually have no place in their own death (natural animal death doesn't really concern me, though of course I don't really celebrate it...), and it's the cause of something that their decisions didn't lead them to (or, they did in some cases, but responsible human adults could have protected them if they just made a bit more of an effort).

There's a few animal videos that will impact me forever. Like the skinning of a live animal. Or watching hundreds of abandoned pets be put to sleep. I can't say any human video has ever impacted me in the same way.

I put MY safety and health and that of my loved ones (especially my daughter) ahead of some random animal's safety and health... and I think that's an instinctual thing... but I don't put human health and safety in general over animal health and safety in general.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

NancyBlackett  (26-06-2012),Purple Lily  (26-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I think she means a dog loves you unconditionally. A child doesn't. It might as a baby, but it grows up and can easily turn into someone who hates you... as seen right here on the forum. A dog will generally love you regardless of everything.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Yep that's what I mean. You love your bub unconditionally but it's not a baby's job to love you unconditionally.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think animals suffer just as much as we do. We can't say they don't just because they are not human, with our evolution, that they don't have the emotional intelligence that we do.

when i was a child, we had 2 dogs. One of them died & the other was clearly heartbroken & missing his friend. Moped about, wouldn't eat etc for a while.

So absolutely, they suffer & who are we (as humans) to say they cannot or that it is lesser because they are not us?

Thanks
    Reviews
    A lot of people say that their dog/cat die not long after their other canine/feline companion passes away because they are lonely

ToughLove is offline Meaner than a junkyard dog
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Member
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    A lot of people say that their dog/cat die not long after their other canine/feline companion passes away because they are lonely
    Absolutely.
    One of my first dogs was a three year old backyard bred Saint. When I went to pick up the dog, they gave me their second dog as a "package deal". They had been trying to mate them since they were 6 months old and had never produced a litter (thank god)

I could tell that the girl had severe hip dysplasia and renal failure . Tests confirmed. So incredibly far gone, from horrific living conditions and careless breeding. The male was fine. After a few months of trying to find a way to help the girl's agony, I made the decision to euthanise her.

At our house, all animals are euthanised at home by the home visit vet. Often I do the actual injection myself as I hold them in my arms. Prissy (girl saint) was sent on while lying on her bed next to her brother. They were both fine, but when she went limp he lunged at her and nudged her body over and over, whining and pawing at her.
    If he could talk he would have been crying and begging her to get up.
    He knew she was dead, I am utterly convinced of it.

He only lasted another month. He stopped eating, stopped drinking, and even forced feeding and sub q fluids had no effect. He wasted away and I believe he willed himself to die.

You see the same effect in people as well. Old couples often pass within a few months of each other. Geese do the same, one partner for life. If that partner dies, they refuse to leave the body until they themselves die.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ToughLove For This Useful Post:

Benji  (26-06-2012),NancyBlackett  (26-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am of a differing view to those expressed.

While I do not condone animal cruelty and some things I have heard of make me feel ill, I would never put an animal above, or even equal to, a human life.

I have no doubt that some animals suffer physical and to a degree emotional pain but I see humans at the top of the chain, so to speak, and so human pain is greater.

It may also be that I see human pain as greater because I empathise with and relate to humans and not animals.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to MsTruth For This Useful Post:

ShanandBoc  (26-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Absolutely TL. People say 'oh they're just stupid animals, they don't understand like we do'... but many have even more sense than us! Recently in Japan they asked people to watch their animals for any unusual behaviour because certain animals are known to sense natural disasters before we even know anything is happening! My old dog, despite the fact he was extremely old and blind, knew I was in labour before anybody else did and became freakishly protective of me. Penguins are more loyal to each other than most married couples.

I have no doubt your dog knew what was happening and was grieving.