+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default 2 Babies under tha age of 2?

I have a baby due in october and by then my toddler would be 20 months old. My son is a mummys boy, he loves spending time with me, he wont let anyone else feed him or put him to sleep. I hardly have any time now looking after him and working from home at the same time. I dont know how I am going to cope with 2 babies under the age 2. I am very scared that I might not cope. I am also worried that my son wont like the arrival of a little sister!
    I would love to hear stories from mothers who has 2 or more babies and how you have or have not coped. What sort of obsticles did you come across and how did you overcome it.
    Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had 2 under 2, and then I had 3 by the time my eldest was 3.5.
    They absolutely adore each other and are the best of friends.
    There was definitely periods of adjustment with the two youngest arrivals- about 4-5 months each time- but children are so adaptable and I find that I worry so much about how my little ones are going to cope with a change than I need to. You may be pleasantly surprised.
    I would recommend you try and get into some really good (but flexible!) routines in the next few months, try and get some meals in the freezer and encourage your little one to keep up a daytime nap if they still have one!

Thanks
    Reviews
    You will do fine!!
    My best friend had 2 babies under the age of 2, the oldest was 18 months when his little brother made his arrival. She was in the same boat he eldest only wanted her, would only sleep for her, would only eat for her and would only be comforted by her - at the start it was hard but she slowly transitioned him into sleeping by himself or with daddy, eating dinner at the table with them early instead of eating by himself and just giving his routine more structure so that she could attend to the new baby aswell!
    He is well adjusted now and they are great buddies! It's a gorgeous gap I think good luck - you will work out what works for you xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    i had my dd when ds was 15 months. ds was exactly the same and i was terrified at the thought of leaving him with my mum and dad while i was in hospital. he coped (and so did nan and pop haha) and came visiting every day. he was so little that he just really ignored her existence to start with. he has just turned 2 and she is 8 months and watching them together melts my heart! dont get me wrong its HARD work.. im a single mum too and my ex is interstate so i get no assistance from him at all. i wouldnt change it for the world though. you just have to take each day as it comes. you learn how to carry two at the same time! i was also blessed with two children who dont sleep so am up at least 8 times a night! feel free to pm me if you want to chat further! good luck, you will be great

OJandMe is offline I am the strength my children will have.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Well apart from O and J.. coz they don't count...

Gabriel and Julian are 13 months apart

Julian and Lysander are 22 months apart.

We have 5 kids 5yrs and under when Lysander was born..

I think the gap between Lysander and Julian is a good one. (I think all of them were good ones, but that's the closest to your gap I think) Julz was old enough to feed himself and entertain himself for a while when Lysander was a baby.. and now at nearly 2 and nearly 4 they are pretty tight buddies. The only downside is that Julian doesn't quite get that Lysander can't 'play' the same way he does.. cute though. I hear little convos like "No Lysander, you have to put the track DOWN not keep throwing it away." And Lysander: "Otay"

The biggest thing I thought I'd had to deal with was night wakings being staggered... so i took the really easy way out and co-slept and breastfed... that way Lysander was already with me if he woke at night, and Julian could just come into our bed and snuggle down like usual without me having to get up and go to a baby. It worked for us.
    Last edited by OJandMe; 25-06-2012 at 23:39.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Mine have 13 months between them and most days I love it.

My kids have their best friend (occasionally worst enemy) right here with them.

The first few months sucked. DS wasn't walking yet (took him another 4 months) and both still aren't sleeping through. DS wanted a lot of cuddles.

I'm lucky DH is hands on and we make sure to give each kid their own outing with us every few days.

He was very disinterested in her as a baby, now he acts like she's annoying, shuts her out of his bedroom, but for the bulk of their day they're playing their own special games together and he enjoys her being his shadow.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My ds was 22 months when dd was born. My dd became a very independent baby with self settling etc as I couldn't rush to her the minute she made a noise like I had with my ds. So that helped. I think it's important to make a lot of extra effort in the first few weeks to have some one on one time with your ds and have other people give him extra attention. You can see them taking it all in at first and it must be a little hard for them adjusting but my mw told me one good thing is they don't really tend to feel jealousy towards the baby at that age. My ds in now 3 and dd 14 months and they have the most beautiful relationship, my heart melts watching them together. Oh and we also got a backpack and put a few toys as a gift from the baby to ds and he still mentions that she brought him his bullseye. It is hard work, I've been single since dd was 3 months and I've managed, it's special to watch them being little best friends

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a 14 month gap with my daughter being the eldest and my son is 12 weeks. Not going to lie it's hard work but it's not impossible. Just means you have to be organized. My daughter is and was a very easy baby so that made the first ffew weeks a breeze but now she's turning into a toddler I can see the next few months are going to be interesting and challenging but well worth it in the long run I hope.

I wouldn't try to change too much now with your son as he is at the age that when baby does come along he will probably regress anything he learnt or changed anyway and then you will be stressed out about that too. Just go with the flow, he will qquickly learn that your attention is now divided. Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a 13 month gap between dd1 and dd2 and will have a dd2 will be 17 months when bub arrives. Dd1 was happy at the hospital and coped well with my mum and husband looking after her- then I brought DD2 home- dd1 screamed for the first 24 hours. So next time I am going to have my mum at home to take the baby and as soon as I arrive home I'll spend some quality time with my girls.

Bonkers is offline wishes she was a glow worm. A glow worm's never glum, 'cos how can you be grumpy when the sun shines out of your bum?
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    14 months between my 2 an when this one comes my oldest will almost be 4 and my youngest almost 3