+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Childcare ACT - anywhere really...

Hi! DH and I will be moving to the ACT in Jan. DS will be 18mo then and we are looking to move to an area with good child care. We don't even know where to start. Has anyone got any tips or recommendations?
    TIA...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi! We have lived in Canberra since September and put DS name down for long day care in November at several good centres in the Belconnen area where we live. He is currently 19 months. We went around about 12 centres with a big list of questions and choose the following places-

Good start in aranda. A chain, has others in the Canberra area.

Ymca in Belconnen and macquarie.

Belconnen community services, all 3 centres.

Also i heard little nest in Bruce is very good but can only wait list for those under 2 if you work for Calvary hospital.

But, 8 months on we are still no where near to getting a place. Childcare in the ACT is notoriously a nightmare to get. I think when DS turns two it will be easier as child to staff ratios are larger and more places.

I also think if we were less fussy we could get something but not willing to compromise. We call the centres often to hassle them but its not worked yet! Luckily we are managing to survive on one income at the moment.

There is a good website mychild.com.au that allows you to search for childcare in your area.

Good luck!

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Oh and i would try to get your child's name down somewhere now to give you a head start for January!

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much BG, I'll have a look at these centres online today. We are hoping to take a mid week trip to Canberra in a few weeks so that we can see some for ourselves.
    I noticed a few places ask for a $50-$80 wait list fee so I didn't want to put our names down on too many. I thought that could get a bit expensive.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Just ring them up. I refuse to pay money to be put on a waiting list for childcare and if you ask me it should be illegal. My children go to the YMCA in Macquarie which is actually quite good. It's right next to the shops where Coles and stuff are so it's easy for me to get some essentials such as bread if I need it when I pick up the kids. They don't have the best outdoor area (small) but they have a huge gym that they let the kids use which is great for their gross motor.

My suggestion is put your name down on as many lists as you can and see where you get in. It's almost impossible to get childcare down here and it's expensive for that very reason.

As PP have said keep ringing them each week.. that is how you get a spot so I'm told. Also the best time to get spot is in December so if you have no luck really hassle them in December that is when you're more likely to get a spot due to kids going to school etc etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks T! So what about the ACT/NSW thing. Is there a big difference in schooling, medical system, utilities etc?

With the child care, was there a big difference between the NFP and big company centres? We had DS in a NFP centre and it was awful, all of the toys were old and faded and just looked rough, the staff went against my every request, whereas now he is in a larger company centre and I find it's been a dream. I'm fortunate enough that I can pop in and see how he is going throughout the day (without him seeing me) so I know that it's not all just a farce IYKWIM.

I know that I won't find the 'perfect' centre, but like you BG I am quite fussy so I don't envisage this will be an easy task and thankfully am in a position to be able to take at least 12mo off work.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Was just discussing child care with some friends on the weekend! I am 18 weeks preg and apparently I should be putting bubs on waiting lists now for when I want to return to work after 12 months mat leave!

I have heard that Jan is definitely the easiest time due to kids going on into school, and that intakes for that time are done around September, but you should definitely put your name down ASAP. Most places seems to have a fee of 20-80 dollars to go onto the list- although one recently scrapped it because their list was over 200 people.

I haven't unfortunately heard much about the ones to go to yet, other than a few on the south side. If you are looking around here PM me and I can let you know.

Good luck!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Put your name down ASAP. I am hoping for a place for DS in January and I put his name down at 9 different places when I was six weeks pregnant (April last year). I only paid a $20 deposit at one centre and that's because it's my favourite. I'm in contact with each centre every few months so far and have been told that they will make offers in September/October.

If you know where you'll be living and where you'll be working, start in those areas. Also, Belconnen Family Day Care will become part of YMCA on 1 July, but if you're looking for Family Day Care in other areas I think it's part of Communities at Work.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I put his name down at park early learning and also majura day care. Has anyone heard anything about them? Majura have a $50 wait list fee :-(

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subscribing to this thread as we are also possibly moving to Canberra in December and have started to put DS's name down - have got 16 on the list so far. Haven't come across any that have charged waiting list fees. We live in Nth Qld so I hate putting DS's name down without checking out the centre first but really have no option and am relying on recommendations and places to avoid!!
    Last edited by Squaddles; 26-06-2012 at 20:33.