+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Transverse/breech at 36+5... not allowed a vag birth. opinions pls

Ok so saw my OB today and bub has moved from head down to transverse/breech. My ob said in no way is it safe for me to have a vag birth as because bub is still moving around at this stage I could have something not right with my pelvis and so would be dangerous for bub even if she went head down now. I can't remember what the problem could be exactly.
    I'm booked in for a c-sect next tues but would have been happy to go into labour naturally and have a vbac instead.

Anyone ever had anything like this??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm definitely not an expert but my baby was head down til I was 39 weeks, when he turned oblique, then later that day turned back, then a few days later when I was just over 40 weeks, he turned transverse!

A dr at the hospital turned him back down and I stayed a couple of nights to make sure he stayed that way (since I was overdue by then they were worried he'd turn transverse again and my water would break and I'd have a cord prolapse).

I'd be asking more questions if I were you.

ETA: I'd try some positions etc to try and encourage baby to move.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Annabella For This Useful Post:

Fluffbum  (25-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My 15 week old little man never turned or engaged! I went into labor naturally but he was transverse, so I had to have a caesarean. I have no complaints, recovery wasn't any worse than my vb, I am breast feeding fine. Good luck, I'm sure you will be awesome..

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Melzey For This Useful Post:

Winterbubs1012  (27-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD2 was an undiagnosed breech. Looking back now it appears she may have been an unstable lie, moving and changing positions regularly. She was transverse at about 24 weeks but then she appeared to be head down at all check ups, I always felt hiccups really low and my midwife always heard her heart beat very low but when I was in labour and ready to push they checked to see if my waters had broken and *surprise* there was a little bum where her head should have been!

As I was 10cm and ready to push, it was time to go! DD2 was born about 30 mins later.

I had to have an episiotomy (spelling?) to help her out but other than that the labour was fine. Better than my first.

I think if it's your second vaginal birth then they might be more relaxed about it but if it's going to be a vbac then they might be worried about bub getting stuck.

Babies can move right up to the last minute. My niece was breech right up until it was time for my SIL to go into theatre for her ceasar....they checked her on the way in and bub had turned to head down so SIL was sent home to wait for bub to come on her own! Same thing happened to DH's cousin.

There's lots if exersises you can do to encourage bub to move. I know laying back on the couch isn't good. Sitting straddled on a dining chair, kneeling on all fours and sitting on an exercise ball is supposed to help?

Sorry, huge post - just wanted you to know that bub might move at the very last minute best of luck!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to GirlyWirly For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    I don't know but I would recommend having a look at the spinning babies web site and also investigatin moxibustion.

I really wanted an intervention free VB with DD but for a while there was a possibility that she was transverse so I investigated and was told about moxibustion from a colleague. Turns out she was fully engaged but I would have done pretty much anything to get her in the right position! Good luck

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much for your replies.

Yes unstable lie is what my OB called it!! I have started a new thread about this. Not sure if using the spinning babies technique or trying to spin the baby with this is any point if she keeps moving any way? Hopefully I get some replies in the other thread!
    Thanks again

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    My bub flipped about until nearly 38 weeks- and it is no suprise that she was considerably smaller than my first bub. She engaged just past 40 weeks and never unengaged after. Had I taken another type of care she never would've had the opportunity and would've been tiny at 38 weeks when they wanted to CS me (she was 8 pound at 44weeks)
    Gee that is small!

It really is a hard one knowing if I should trust my care or not.... I had an ultra sound last week and they said bub was measuring average size but I'm not sure how accurate they were. I also have a bicornuate uterus so that could be why she is now transverse and possibly can't engage.
    Thanks for your reply.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterbubs1012 View Post
    Thanks so much for your replies.

Yes unstable lie is what my OB called it!! I have started a new thread about this. Not sure if using the spinning babies technique or trying to spin the baby with this is any point if she keeps moving any way? Hopefully I get some replies in the other thread!
    Thanks again
    I tried this, not a pretty site! .. Me, excess amniotic fluid + my **** in the air.. It didn't help me but that's not to say it won't help you. My OB said with the excess fluid it was probably a bit dangerous.. After they opened me up to get bub out, the midwife told me he did three spins .. Yep, he was an unstable lie, they really can move around in there. All the best!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Melzey For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Gosh, that's rushing into a CS abit fast IMO!
    My DD was transverse/breech until sometime between my 38 and 39 week appointment, where she settled head down. I had a lovely VB.
    From memory I did try some of the spinning babies techniques (the ironing board one LOL), but didn't do it for long. Not sure whether it did anything- I never even felt her turn!

Personally I'd be holding out on the CS for abit longer at least! Good luck!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    To everyone who's bub was breech but turned after 37 weeks were they an unstable lie?
    Where the docs worried about cord prolapse?

My bub changes positions and dose huge movements every few hours for the past 1 1/2 Days which can apparently rupture the membranes and put me in labour and because shes transverse my OB is worried about cord prolapse.

With cord prolapse you only have 7 min to get baby out apparently but if he was that worried wouldn't he have just admitted me to hosp? There's no way I could make it to hosp in 7 minutes more like an hour!