+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    A year ago I saw a similar thing except we went to a house to pick up a purchase. Who met us out the front was a girl about 6 with a baby on her hip and 2 younger siblings. Their mother was no where in sight. The little girl took us in to part of the house to get the item and I asked her where her mother was so I could pay her and she told me it was fine to give her the money. Then she proceeded to tell her little siblings off for being naughty and told them to go play.

I heard some noise inside and a few other things and realised the mother was inside but she wouldnt come out. Instead leaving her 4 children to deal with complete strangers.

Once the item was in our car we heard the mother scream out for her to go inside.

It was such a bizarre experience.

So I think I would find a child holding a baby with no parent insight a bit odd.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Totally fine. I don't live my life in fear of abductions so I don't think there's anything wrong with it. I also don't judge the baby bjorn. We don't know how long she was carrying the baby for. If she was hiking up Everest it might concern me more. Anyway we don't even know how old the girl was.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Tbh it all depends on the children. My 12yr old sister has never been able to Carry ds around because he is quite big and I dont want her doing her back in.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    A growing spine really should not be coping with the weight of a baby!

My daughter is close enough to 8 for me to see just how stupid it would be for me to leave a baby in her care. She is RESPONSIBLE and TRUSTWORTHY and very MATURE for her age... she's not that kid running around screaming, she's the kid standing quietly beside her mother because she does what she is told... but she, like all children, is a bit lacking in her ability to use her common sense and to even simply NOT trip on things.

I'd also not risk her tiny spine. The damage that pregnancy can to do to our back's is bad enough, and we're grown adults. An 8-year-old may be around 30kg. A new-ish baby around 5kg. An older baby even more. That's 1/6 of her body weight. 1/6 of my body weight (74kg) is around 12kg. I carried my daughter in a carrier for an entire day when she was 12kg and my back freaking killed. I'm not someone with a bad back either - I've never been one who needs to crack my back, never needed any sort of chiropractic assistance or anything... my back is generally problem-free.

Eff that for a back-breaking joke.
    Last edited by SassyMummy; 26-06-2012 at 10:19.

Bonkers is offline wishes she was a glow worm. A glow worm's never glum, 'cos how can you be grumpy when the sun shines out of your bum?
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I'll have to agree with sassy on this. Children are very clumsy no matter how mature. And they are still growing and it could do damage, even if you dont notice it now. It may appear when they are older or pregnant

Thanks
    Reviews
    A child will not carry something that their body can't handle. They will also put the child down when they get to heavy. In my culture, and many around the world, this is a normal family setting.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ThreePeasPlease For This Useful Post:

Alexander Beetle  (26-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I let my 6 year old son carry DD when she was a newborn. He was so careful and loving admittedly, at first, i did make sure he was on carpet and i stayed close by.

Now he is 8 and she is 20 months...he drags her about everywhere lol I trust him totally and he will always stop before doing something he is unsure of like walking down stairs or a steep hill.

If he had been 8 when she was a newbie, i would have let him use the carrier...but at 6 he was too small for the ergo!

Trusting our kids is so important...DS rose to the challenge because we trusted him and it increased their bond so much. It also boosted his self esteem and belief in himself.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to River Song For This Useful Post:

Gandalf  (26-06-2012),wrena  (26-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Beetle View Post
    Totally fine. I don't live my life in fear of abductions so I don't think there's anything wrong with it. I also don't judge the baby bjorn. We don't know how long she was carrying the baby for. If she was hiking up Everest it might concern me more. Anyway we don't even know how old the girl was.
    I totally agree. My niece is 12 but looks 8 and would be perfectly capable of carrying a baby around.

I see no issue.

ToughLove is offline Meaner than a junkyard dog
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Member
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I was one of 9, all born between a year-2 years apart, and I was carrying the infants from about 6 years up.

Mum would be there, of course, to watch out, but I would carry them everywhere

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think its a little odd and wouldnt be having my child carrying a baby around in public with people everywhere.
    A baby is such a big weight to be carrying on your front if you are a child yourself.