+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    For me it depends on the child and how long they would be carrying the baby.

In our house ds1 (12 and taller than both dh and i) can carry the baby, dd2 (10 almost 11) no way she is just not co ordinated, dd3 (8) no she is just to young and i don't think it would be good for her back.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 6 yr old would love to do that with her soon to be born sister but I don't think I'd be comfortable with it. There poor little backs with a carrier, that plays with adults back and they're alot stronger. I know each to their own but personally I'm not too sure id like it, maybe I'd try sticking to the older one helping with pushing the pram.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldn't be really comfortable with it either...of course it does depend on the child & the age etc but you never know!! Just don't think I'd chance it...
    Mine aren't allowed to carry the youngest around, she's 2 so she won't really let them now anyway!!
    My SIL allowed my niece, 9 at the time, to carry & lift her baby, about 6mths, all the time, it made me cringe watching the 9yr old with a baby on her hip
    The 9yr old did drop her once on the tiles, everything was fine, accidents happen but I'd rather not chance it TBH

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    When I was 8, I begged and begged to get to carry my cousins/change their nappies/settle them when they cried...

But I often wonder how many people would see that and wonder why on earth a mother would make her 8 year old try and settle a screaming babe, or change a dirty nappy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It is very normal in my culture for older brother or sister to help mom with younger siblings. It has been easier lately with new products like strollers, carriers, nappies. When i was little, i just carried my sister and cousins on my hip or back, wiped them after they used the potty, watched them when they play outside. We potty train babies very early too.

Sent from my U20i using BubHub

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lovesushi For This Useful Post:

Alexander Beetle  (26-06-2012),Gandalf  (25-06-2012),headoverfeet  (26-06-2012),ThreePeasPlease  (26-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I used to be allowed to take my baby bro for a walk/carry around our 'block' (about two kms uphill and downdale), with my sister and neighbour when he was 1-2 and we were 9/10. Guess my mum figured it was ok.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennybaby View Post
    Not really good for the poor kids back! How many parents complain about sore backs from carriers and the weight ratio is a lot better for us. I personally wouldn't do this regardless of the physical strain on the child...I would not be comfortable.
    I'm assuming the mum was giving the kid a good carrier, rather than a main****** carrier to work with?

Op, if it was a ring song or soft structured, non-bjorn style carrier i think it's fine. Maybe a bit weird she was on her own, but we don't know the backstory
    If it was a bjorn carrier I'd be worried about her balance and back.

And for those who mentioned being pushed-if she was just carrying the baby in arms, and got pushed, there's more chance she and baby will be hurt cause she won't have a hand to catch herself with...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Gandalf For This Useful Post:

missie_mackxxxx  (26-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Its was a baby bjorn
    I must be a worry wort i never let my nieces who are nine and ten carry a baby.
    When ds was a new born we had a family gathering and my cousin who is "fully grown" with two kids of her own would not let anyone hold him unless they were sitting down lol! Poor love spent the entire day following him round with a chair making people sit (ok exaggerated a little but close to i swear!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Around the home maybe but not out and about particularly in a busy area without me close by. There was an incident of a lady trying to snatch a baby from its mother when it was in a carrier recently. No adult would have a problem snatching a baby from an 8 year old child. I would also be concerned about the weight of a baby with an 8 year old.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD1 was 11 when DD2 was born, she carry's her often. She has even been mistaken for a young mum. I don't see any problem with it. She voluntarily does it.