+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Half siblings

Some of you may know that my daughter is an only child for me, but has in excess of 5 half siblings. I'm aware of one older, 2 the same age, and 2 younger. Who knows, there may be more.

She is turning 9, and wants to know why she is called an only child when she has siblings. She met the twins briefly when they were all 2 but their mother is a basketcase and contact was unable to continue.

Anyone else been in a similar position, and how did you explain it? How do the children cope with it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    for DS (8) ...it is who lives with him...as that is the way he is being raised.

Before DD came along, he always said he was an only child, even though my ex had 2 kids who he saw somewhat regularly.

Now, when asked, he says he has 1 sister....as that is who lives with him.

Theoretically, kids could have heaps of half siblings and never know/see them...and it would not affect the way they were raised. The positioning of siblings and the "# child syndromes" people like to refer too...only occur if the kids are all living together.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Coming from the angle of a person who found out in adult hood that I had a half sibling, I think it is just best to be open and honest from the start.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Her Autism gives her a black and white view. She knows about the twins, and has met them. Therefore, in her view, having siblings means not being an only child. She believes also that since they are her siblings, they could potentially live with her at ay given moment. No matter what I say about it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Ah, I see what you mean. It sounds like you are going about it the right way though. I was devastated to learn I had an adult sibling that was older than me (conceived when my parents were married). So I guess just being open about it is the best thing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Chanel has a half brother in England too. He'll be 3 in November. She's never met him (obviously, as we're not in England, lol), but she has a few photos of him of when he was a newborn. Her father hasn't made contact since.

She doesn't really see herself as his sister though, and I can understand that. She has never met him. She likely never will, or at least won't until she's an adult and seeks him out herself (if she wants to). She loathes being an only child, but for now she just has to endure it. She knows she is technically someone's sister, but can see there is a difference between how that is, and how it would be if I had kids with DP.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You would think after dealing with Autism for so long I would be able to think in that way and work it out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You could say she is generally called an only child because she is your only child.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Could you say she is MUMMIES only child instead?
    And explain that the others have their own mummies which is why they don't live with yous?

Sent from my MB526 using BubHub

10. The Following User Says Thank You to GuestMember For This Useful Post:

Amira  (25-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I have half siblings. While I only have contact with 1 half sister (my choice), i acknowledge the others as half siblings.

I was brought up by my grandparents. My mum had another daughter when I was 10. They lived ages away do while I acknowledged I had sister (I class he as full sister even though she isn't), I was still brought up as an only child. It wasn't until I moved in with mum when I was 13 that I became not an only child.