+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Smile Help a lovely Midwife! Birth photography - Opinions wanted!

Hi, My name's Ash, I'm registered midwife working out of a public hospital in Melbourne's West. Along with my passion for midwifery, I have a love for photography. I have grown to prefer working with natural lighting, scenes and subjects. So it makes sense to combine both my passions and experience to document the most natural process; that being the birth of new life. (which to this day after 4 years as a midwife, still takes my breath away!)

I also want to do my part as a midwife and try to help change how the general population perceive birth and bring back a focus on childbirth as a normal life event. I understand there are several services out there that may offer more experienced photographers but I believe that my foundation as a midwife will allow to me capture those crucial moments and I appreciate that birth is special and a part of your life's story.

So I was wondering if all you mums and mum's to be out there (or even dads, they're important too) could give me some very invaluable advice/information on whether pregnancy/labour/birth and post natal photography is something that would interest you, your wants, desires, and any ideas that may help me work best with women and their families during their child bearing journey to capture precious moments and memories in time.

At the moment I'm still getting my head around all of the businessy side of things, but once sorted I will be offering free photography for a few births to get my portfolio up and running. If you're interested and think it may appeal to you or someone you know in the future please don't hesitate to contact me!

These were by no means professionally shot photos but just a few family happy snaps I thought might be worth showing to outline my style:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi,

I like the idea! Especially as a mother of a preemie, most of those hospital moments are not captured as you are there mostly alone and the last thing on your mind is taking pictures. With these tender little bundles you dont dare hold them and try to take a picture.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your input! That's an area I'd completely overlooked! My sister had twins at 29 weeks and I was lucky enough to be able to visit them once or twice while in the NICU. They were attached to ventilators etc but I took a few pictures for her and she really appreciated them, seeing as though she wasn't able to hold either of them for weeks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    awwww! That is totaly cute!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks She's now a healthy 10 month old !

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would love it. Our camera (basic digital) was taken by the anesthetic nurse and she got some great shots of our little man but some professional ones would have been amazing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'd love to have a photographer to capture our final birth. Maybe nothing gory but just to capture those emotions and moments.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Premmie photography would be wonderful. My son was born in such a rush - we didn't even have a camera with us. One of the middies in NICU lent us hers. I didn't see my bub for 2 days as I was too sick to get to the NICU - I would have loved some photos of those first few days.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bump

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd love birth/post natal photos! I'm actually trying to convince hubby to video/photograph my final birth but he won't!!! I love the idea of capturing those beautiful moments leading up to the birth and after the birth!

I'm due to give birth in early December (i'm in western suburbs of melb) and would be very interested in your services, so if you get everything sorted by then shoot me a PM!!