+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default what do u do about neighbours barking dogs?

I have a neighbour, who has a dog, which barks allllllll day long. Not at night, just allll day long. It's only happened this last few weeks, ive never heard it bark before now.

Now, im not 100% on which neighbour it is! The ppl next door have a staffy and the people next to them have a labradoor. It's all comming from the same direction.
    I know the lady next door is home all day with her kids and i know the lady with the labradoor works during the day. It makes sense that it would be the Lab - bored and lonley. yeh?

I have no problem usually with barking dogs, i just ignore it and i really dont care about it. however we have had past complaints about our own dog who does bark ALOT i admit, however i have gone to all extents possible to control her barking to the point we muzzle her at night
    Our dog just barks at birds/people passing/big trucks/garbage truck...not much i can do about that and it doesnt go on all day - but we still get the complaints in the mail. (because she has a barking fit every wednesday morning at the garbage truck.)
    It's ok though - we are moving to a 5 acre block of land in the bush with no neighbours even close to us...when we win lotto.
    I seriously cant stand the old geriatrics in our street who have nothing better to do than stare out their windows all day and pick on anyone who makes a noise.
    i just dont know who's dog is barking! I want to let the owners know it's barking all day before they cop the rude letters in their mail that i get! i feel sorry for it if it's bored and sitting in the backyard by its self all day. If people are going to own a dog why dont they choose a breed that suits their lifestyle and home environment?

Thanks
    Reviews
    you can always go to your local council... they will (should) do a door knock on your neighbours advising that there's been some complaints about the constant barking etc and often give out pamphlets on how to help reduce the problem etc....
    We had to do this with our new neighbours after they would prevoke their dogs to bark with toys the dogs hated all night every night. Council were very proactive and confidential about it, dogs haven't barked throughout the night since a few days after i went to the council...
    obviously the "normal" dog barks are fine - like your dog barks at (birds etc) but the CONSTANT barking was driving us up the wall.
    The neighbours have no idea it was us, or if they do, they've not changed how they speak/act around us so there's no tension between neighbours...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Our dog barks alot (well some days he does anyway) and i'm home all the time, no matter how much attention we give him, how much play/stimulation activities, he still barks. i do know he was an abused dog when we picked him up from the rspca, I just didn't realise how many fears he had. it's sad really, his eyes look really sad, and when someone comes over he cowers in fear if he doesn't know them. we're lucky our neighbours are elderley women, and they don't mind his barking, (i have talked to them about it) and they say they feel safer. they know someone is outside when he barks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Oh my God I hate barking dogs. Sorry, I know they can't help it but I think it's not fair at all on surrounding households. Next time it's barking I'd just take a wander down the street - will be pretty easy to tell which house it's coming from that way, surely? I'd leave a note (which I have before).

One neighbour had a dog that was so bad once I seriously contemplated getting the dog "whacked" (in the middle of the night one night after prolonged sleep deprivation!). Thank God they moved.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    we had a problem with ours barking, and we have a new problem of a dog we adopted who wont stop barking. We are on pretty good terms with our neighbours so they just said Oh I dont know if you realise but your dog must be fretting cos she barks and howls when your out. We took the hint and got onto it straight away. When we took on this other dog (he has always had a barking problem), our other neighvours sent me a text while we were out just saying they arent sure if its our but there is a dog barking and they thought it could be ours.

It was all said in a nice way, no hint of rudeness at all, no ultimatums etc just I think your dog is barking. We said thank you for letting us know. we didnt realise they were doing that, I'll get onto it straight away.

It hard for the person making the complaint and it can be embarrassing to be the one who has the annoying dog. hopefully you have good neighbours who understand

Thanks
    Reviews
    Did you consider a citronella collar for your dog if you think that it is barking too much? They work very quickly and I have seen them second hand on ebay.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hunkamunka, could the neighbours who are leaving the notes in your letterbox thinking it is your dog and not the actual one that is making all the noise?

Our neighbours dog barks all day, every day it drives me crazy. Dogs actually need to be taught to stop barking. Yes it is ok to bark at people walking by, birds and all that, but the none stop carry on is a sign that the dog is distressed or hasn't been taught to snap out of it.

Get into the Dog Whispher for those of you with the dog causing the noise. Alot of the dogs barking can be boredom, or they have reached a certain energy level and don't know how to snap themselves out of it. Dogs can be taught to stop barking, it is just a matter of training and constant follow through.

Neighbours (this is such my pet hate!!pardon the pun) there are a few things you can do.
    Contact the council, you need to provide 2 weeks of times and dates of when the dog is barking.
    Give them a citronella collar I have heard these work really well.
    Leave a dog bark busters flyer in their letterbox
    Mention it to your neighbours, as mentioned above, they may not even know.
    There are devices you can leave outside that set off a high pitch noise that only dogs can hear, but if your going to go that far, make sure your dog isn't home when you have this activated. Your dog won't understand what the noise is for when it is just laying in the sun.

Anyway, I mean no offence with this at all, just my opinions, I work with dogs and hear these complaints and often solutions throughout my customer base all the time. My DH wants to get some chains and throw them onto our colourbond fence to stop the dog next door! lol apparently his dad did this years ago and it worked for them

Thanks
    Reviews
    The best thing would be to leave them a not e letting them know that their dog is barking as they may not be aware. I have a rescue dog who howls but have put sign on my fence that he is deaf and unaware how loud he is. My other dog tends to only bark when someone goes past.

Maybe they have a rescue dog like us whom is deaf, we can't tell him to be quiet he can't hear us and we can't use a citronella collar due to the sad fact that he has no sense of smell due to the abuse that he has copped from his previous owners.