View Poll Results: Would you study before your kids went to school?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'd love to, but I can't afford care

4 26.67%
  • Yes, but not full-time

5 33.33%
  • No. I have no interest in study

4 26.67%
  • No, because I don't think I'd pass

2 13.33%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    OJandMe is offline I am the strength my children will have.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default What stops you from studying???

There's a fair bit happening around my town lately.

We have a very high ratio of mums on parenting payment, mums who work part-time or mums who don't have completed highschool qualifications, or haven't attended university...

We also have a very very very good childcare centre which is on the brink of closing because enrolments are so low, due to the cost of care.

I'm curious to know.....

If you are on parenting payment... and you could have the opportunity to study either full-time or part-time, and have childcare funded so all you were paying was $1 a day per child... and you could have this subsidised care for two years... would you study towards a career post-kids-at-home?
    Last edited by OJandMe; 25-06-2012 at 09:47.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Other - I can't afford the course fees.

OJandMe is offline I am the strength my children will have.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    What if the course fees were able to be deferred to HECS, and the tertiary prep assessment was free?

Are TAFE courses up-front fees??????? (I'm not sure about TAFE)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OJandMe View Post
    What if the course fees were able to be deferred to HECS, and the tertiary prep assessment was free?

Are TAFE courses up-front fees??????? (I'm not sure about TAFE)
    I don't qualify for HECS. So have to pay Uni fees upfront.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BlissedOut For This Useful Post:

OJandMe  (25-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yep TAFE is paid upfront but if you are on a centrelink payment I think you just pay $53.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to becandabub For This Useful Post:

OJandMe  (25-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes I would, I had to defer my preperation course for uni last month due to not having enough child free time, and cannot afford day care for mr 2 until miss 5 starts kindy next year.

I am busting to get into uni and build my skills and be able to get a decent paying job.

The study load for me was just impossible with 4 kids and a dh that works 70+ hours a week.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to onionskin For This Useful Post:

OJandMe  (25-06-2012)

drewid is offline Meet the amazing boy who falls asleep with a sandwich in his mouth!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I like the idea of studying, but I don't want to put my young child into daycare. I'm a stay at home mum to enjoy her childhood, like i did with DS before he started school. Once she is in school, and if no more babies come along, then mostly likely I would have to do some study in order to be able to get a job. But while my baby is little, study doesn't interest me at all.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to drewid For This Useful Post:

OJandMe  (25-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am studyign full time btu oen of my issues is there is a huge lack of support for parents to study- we aren't eligible for the start up scholarships like many austudy and youth allowance students are and have to struggle to buy the $300+ worth of textbooks a yr and manage to feed the kdis and keep the electricity on.
    then there is the reliability of child care- ours suddenly stopped operating at the start of the yr with a weeks notice- so I have no where for my child to go after school and so when on prac haev to make sure where I am can accoomodat me leaving to go pick her up and comign back with my child to finish the day. I am eligible for JETT so the cost was great for us but the closing down really stung a lot of parents.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to MommaBear For This Useful Post:

OJandMe  (25-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yes- I would study. I am enrolling next year and going to do the minimum for now. One subject a semester. I really need to build my skills - I have 4 kids, if anything happened to my husband I need to know I'm skilled enough to support us all.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

OJandMe  (25-06-2012),onionskin  (25-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Personally i can't motivate myself to study from home so i wouldn't go down this route. ATM i'm a FT TAFE student. I'm in NSW though so i only have to pay $53 for the course. I got JET last semester and have applied for it for next semester but have been told it may not be approved??? Apparently they have made a bunch of changes in regards to eligibilty.
    OP you are in QLD? I think it's more difficult to better yourself in terms of study there. TAFE fees still apply to all courses you only get a small concession discount. For a lot of single parents they probably can't afford it.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:

lovesushi  (25-06-2012),OJandMe  (25-06-2012)