+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm think the first two words are inappropriate however 'limited' is fine on a report card.

Perhaps your son isn't putting in much effort. I know children who are naturally talented with sport but their behaviour and lack of participation means that when in PE they are not achieving to their ability.

Same goes for the classroom. If the child is not behaving or completing work the teachers only have what they have demonstrated to go by.

In regards to the religious stuff - if it is part of the assessment then they should be marked accordingly. If they haven't comprehended the lessons or achieved results well it should be reported accordingly.

My DS1 is one of those children who are extremely bright, however his behaviour is questionable and he doesn't apply himself like he does at home. (He is at kindy but I can already see the difference between home/large group learning environment). As his parent I would want to know how he is going AT kindy/school. I already know what he is like at home and I think it'd be pointless to receive a report saying what a delight he is when I know he is quite trying.

I'm not sure if you're upset that he doesn't have the report you'd like for him, but at the end of the day it is just a document for you to know how he's traveling at school.

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think the problem here is the school - the principal has signed off on this report so she's aware of what the teacher has written.

Perhaps it would be best to find a new school and take this matter straight to the dept of education.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi,
    Jumping in from a teacher's perspective here. Superficial and narrow minded are not the type of comments that should be on a report card. Are they doing parent teacher interviews at all? Otherwise I would request one when school gets back. If you have asked and been told he was doing fine, then I would be majorly peeved too. As others have said 'C' is where they should be, Bs and As are usually a bonus. I wonder if the principal read through it carefully before signing it? If it is a big school this may not have happened.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunnyhugs View Post
    I think the problem here is the school - the principal has signed off on this report so she's aware of what the teacher has written.

Perhaps it would be best to find a new school and take this matter straight to the dept of education.
    After reading the other thread I would write a formal letter to the school about the inappropriate wording and send a cc to the dept of education.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (25-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Having read about the town and the husband I think you should move. It's one of those things that can seem to hard and be put off but you really need to make your mind up and just do it.

Find an aria where your dh's job is in demand and the schools are good.

Life's to Short to live with that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If you can't move, I would be looking at using the School of Isolated and Distance education or home schooling him until you move. It isn't hard and you don't need to spend 6 hours a day doing it.

Personally, I would rather my child stay home then be subjected to that environment.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquillah View Post
    If you can't move, I would be looking at using the School of Isolated and Distance education or home schooling him until you move. It isn't hard and you don't need to spend 6 hours a day doing it.

Personally, I would rather my child stay home then be subjected to that environment.
    Thanks I have looked into it at the start of this year when DS had the incident of the other child choking him in the playground. Because the CSOTA (School of the Air) work so closely with this school there were not willing to accept DS enrolment because the pincipal wouldn't confirm that it had actually happened and then they told me they wouldn't take him also because we live in town and it's much better for the child to be sent to normal school even if these are the circumstances I would love nothing more than to be responsible for his education - at least I know he would be treated fairly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also I just wanted to add that it's not a religious school, there is no RE taught here so the fact that it was in there in the first place had me stumped. It was in the Studies of Society and the Environment subject heading.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well then I would certainly look at home schooling then. I think there is a fair bit of chatter over in the home schooling section on what to expect. I would also encourage him to join a few after school sporting activities but apart from that, I would be staying quiet and learning in a productive environment. There also may be other home schooling mums in your area you can meet up with or you can use private FB groups for questions. I am sure you would do a great job at it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It's completely unfair that it should come to this, but I'd move my little family out of that little town. Financial security is useless if your kids and family's self esteem are non-existent by the time you leave. I grew up in a community next to a mining town and went to school in the mining town, I have very fond memories as I was quite popular and high-achieving, but there were a lot of kids and families that just didn't fit into that drinking etc lifestyle and were seriously bullied. My parents homeschooled my sister briefly when her teacher and the school refused to stop the awful racism my sister endured from the mining town kids. Not sure why I managed, I had a lot of Tongans in my class who stood up for me I think!

Its just not worth it if this nasty report card is part of a bigger picture