+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Like to hear similar stories, VBAC after preeclampsia during labour

Morning bub hubbers,

Would love to hear some stories from anyone that has a VBAC after an emergency c section where you have developed preeclampsia during the labour. I went into my first labour without any thought that I would end up in theatre (guess I was just so focused on how I was going to cope with a natural birth)
    I had a stretch and sweep a week before I went into labour and I was 2-3cm dilated. After 12 hours of labour (about 6 where contractions were 2-3 mins apart) I was still 2-3cm The Dr then broke my waters to get things moving. Unfortunately this is when everything went downhill. I developed Preeclampsia when my blood pressure rose to something ridiculous over 200. I had an unbearable headache and couldn't even look at my husband. It was all a panic in the room and I soon had half a dozen nurses trying to cut off my clothing and get a magnesium drip in. The blood pressure machine would not work properly so had people fussing over this at the same time. I also started bleeding and the decision was made to have an emergency c section as they were worried that my placenta had detached. It was horrible and after 3 attempts to get an epi in my DD was born. As I was getting the epi I did feel like I had dilated more as I had the urge to push so could I have been dilated enough at that point?

Now I am thinking of the next baby but I'm worried to go through the same ordeal. I'm obviously still petrified of a vaginal birth since I haven't experienced it before but kinda feel like I'll be "cheating" if I go straight for an elective c section the 2nd time round. The last thing I would like to do is find myself in the absolutely panicked situation I was in during my first labour (for myself and my poor hubby who was helpless).

I'll discuss it with my Dr when the time comes as I'm not pregnant with bub 2 yet but would love to hear of others who have been in similar situations. Does anyone know the chances of developing the preeclampsia the 2nd time round?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had PE with DS that ended in an emergency csar and am currently 40 weeks pregnant and going for a VBAC. My blood pressure is usually 120/70 and this pregnancy it has been around 120/60 the entire time. It's highly unlikely you'd get PE again as its more common in first pregnancies. Your chances increase if the father of subsequent children is different.

TBH while it played on my mind a little, the whole PE thing hasn't really bothered me this pregnancy. I put on an enormous amount of weight with DS and was incredibly inactive (more than 30kgs). With this pregnancy I have kept my weight to around 14 kgs and have kept active (eg went for 1.5 hour walk on Sat and Sun). I've looked after myself so much better and have focused on trying to remain calm in moments of stress (not always successfully!).

If my blood pressure showed any signs of rising I intended on having acupuncture to bring it down but I haven't needed it for that thankfully.

My biggest cause for concern is the need to go into spontaneous labour in order to achieve my VBAC. On my list of things to worry about, PE was fairly low down.

If you Google PE in second pregnancy you'll get heaps of info supporting the very low likelihood of it occurring again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the replies, every experience helps!
    I forgot to mention that I had the most brilliant pregnancy with zero health issues. Average weight gain of 13kgs, no swelling, very little nausea and dizzy spells, no GD and no issue with BP at all during the pregnancy just during the labour. I think this is what makes me anxious, the fact that I had an awesome pregnancy but things went so wrong during the birth. Thankfully my DD was fine throughout the birth, just a small dip in heart rate.
    I'll think I'll probably try for the vaginal birth since at least I know what to expect if I end up in the same situation.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had pretty much everything you had in pregnancy and birth. I had a perfect pregnancy except my baby was breech and I had an ECV at 37.5 weeks which was successful. I developed pre-eclampsia during labour aswell and had magnesium drip and ended up with an emergency c/s. I also didnt progress. I too am planning baby number two and I am praying I ave a successful VBAC as I am so pronatural and felt soo cheated with my first pregnancy :'( Lets hope we both get the outcome we want next time