+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Unhappy Obstetrician going on holidays

What can I say or do when my obstetrician tells me 3 weeks before I'm due that he is going on holidays just before my due date? I have mixed emotions I have paid this doctor a lot of money & now he might not even be there. He told me he will do a caesarean when he gets back which is 1 day after my due date. I'm so confused.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    That's bad! When i called to make an appointment with the ob I originally wanted for my ds, I was asked my due date and she said she couldn't take me on as she would be on hols. I went with another ob, saw her once and then she went on hols for 2 months without saying anything - I was peeved with the fact she hadn't said anything, I know she has to take hols at some point but you would've thought her secretary would've told me i would be seeing a different ob. Then when it came to having my 6 week check after having ds I got a letter saying she had gone on maternity leave (ironic!) and that I'd need to see my ( useless) gp for it. One of the main reasons for going private this time was so that I could have a full de- brief etc. You would think she'd refer me to her colleague again but I guess she's been paid now 😔
    I would definitely voice my concerns with your ob. You don't need this stress so late on. Good luck!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bellaleggos For This Useful Post:

MsImpatient  (26-06-2012),Ness s  (25-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Unfortunately I don't know that there is much you can say or do. Certainly you could talk to the OB and explain how you're a bit stressed out, but I wouldn't anticipate this changing their plans.

I understand how you feel though, I'd be pretty dirty if my OB did that. Then again everyone is entitled to holidays I suppose and maybe the OB didn't know far enough in advance to warn you before you booked in.

Depending on how far along you are I suppose you could ask for a referral to another OB, but I'm not sure whether that would help or just add more stress.

If he doesn't manage the delivery then I assume you wont have to pay that fee.

Were you planning an elective caesarean or is that something he's suggesting if you haven't given birth by the time he gets back?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to WineTime For This Useful Post:

Ness s  (25-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's really annoying....! Our OB gave us his holiday / weekends off schedule in advance for the year, at our first appt. & we had one of our check ups right at the end with the OB he shares a practice with, so we'd met him too, in case I went into labour when mine wasn't working & I'd at least met the back up....

I'd be really frustrated if I were in your shoes! Perhaps ask your OB what is his contingency plan - ie can you have the chance to meet whomever his back up is, in case you go into labour while he's away?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'd be p!ssed off!

When I booked in with my ob to have DS1 I was told she would be on leave from 2 days after my due date so if
    I went over then I'd have a fill in ob. I was induced early in the end but at least I was aware before I agreed to go with her and paid the management fee!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Von Zipper For This Useful Post:

Ness s  (25-06-2012)

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think that's unacceptable, especially since he was happy to take your Planning and Management Fee when he most likely knew he wouldn't be there.

My ob plans his holidays in advance, so when you make your first appointment at the start of the pregnancy his receptionist will tell you if he's going to be away anytime near your due date.

It's not hard

10. The Following User Says Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

Ness s  (25-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    I think that's unacceptable, especially since he was happy to take your Planning and Management Fee when he most likely knew he wouldn't be there.

My ob plans his holidays in advance, so when you make your first appointment at the start of the pregnancy his receptionist will tell you if he's going to be away anytime near your due date.

It's not hard
    I agree. I'd be furious! It's not fair how OBs can charge sky high amounts then simply "forget" to inform you of their holidays.... On your due date!!!
    Surely that's not allowed! Is there anyone you can complain to? Or is that pointless? I don't think it's fair you pay for a service your clearly not receiving.

what's done is done now. So relax.. There will be someone delivering your baby regardless. Try not to freak out (too much). Good luck.
    Last edited by waterlily; 25-06-2012 at 07:32.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to waterlily For This Useful Post:

Ness s  (25-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Newbie79 View Post
    That's really annoying....! Our OB gave us his holiday / weekends off schedule in advance for the year, at our first appt. & we had one of our check ups right at the end with the OB he shares a practice with, so we'd met him too, in case I went into labour when mine wasn't working & I'd at least met the back up....

I'd be really frustrated if I were in your shoes! Perhaps ask your OB what is his contingency plan - ie can you have the chance to meet whomever his back up is, in case you go into labour while he's away?
    This is what my ob did. Plus the weekend and holiday schedule was displayed at reception as well.

He also made sure that at one of the later appointments i got to meet the other obs he worked with in case I went into labour on one of his 'off' times.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to NancyBlackett For This Useful Post:

Ness s  (25-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    That is bad. When I was pregnant with DD my OB told me on my first appointment that he would be away for my due date, and gave me the option to change to another OB. When I declined, he ensured there was a proper handover, and I got to see the new OB for a few weeks leading up to the due date. He then phoned me from his holiday (!) to talk about how the birth went and how I was doing.

The only thing I will say is that, when it came to it, it didn't matter to me that he was away for the delivery. I ended up with a CS, and at that point I couldn't have cared less who was down that end! My OB was back for my 6 week check-up, and the hospital contact with the new OB (for the CS and daily rounds) was pretty minimal. I felt that I had definitely got what I needed from the fertility treatment and then care throughout the pregnancy.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest654 For This Useful Post:

Ness s  (25-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks to all for your understanding & support. I didn't say anything to the DR when he told me cause I was shocked it wasn't until I got home & started to realise
    how much I was depending on him being there. He has a partner who now does mostly gyno but when I had my first baby it was his partner who delivered. I had what they call a "traumatic" birth & I didn't like this DR so this time I have tried to make as much as I can different. 1) Having the nice & calm DR be my DR. 2) have a caesarean if possible as I had a really bad recovery as I couldn't walk sit etc due to a bad case of Haemerhoids that lasted a year. So I guessed if I had the best DR & had a caesarean to avoid a traumatic birth followed by PND. It's been 7 years since my 1st child & have been suffering anxiety & panic attacks at the thought of birth. So I have asked my OB for a Caesar & he has reassured me a vag birth will be ok but I continued to ask at every app. for the Caesar but got knocked back everytime until my last app when he tells me he is going on holidays & he will do a Caesar on the day after my due date if I don't go naturally as this is his first week back & that is his "surgery" day. So it seems he will do the Caesar if it suits his diary otherwise I can have the other DR who was annoying at my first & no longer delivers. Anxiety, thousands in fees & not getting DR I want or need. Fair? I don't think My app with him is tomorrow what can I say to him? Just to voice my anxiety I don't want to be a difficult patient just taken care of & get what I for!