+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Help with buying a pram!

Hi ladies, I am currently researching for prams for my first baby due in October and I am stressing out! I want one that is forward facing and would love some help. I was originally going to go for one with attachable capsule for convenience but a baby grows out of a capsule in five months. So, now I have my eye on a stroller with attached bassinet for a reasonable price from Big W, and then buying a car seat separately that will last for years. I am also new to Melbourne and Australia (from NZ) so I have only found few shops that sell prams. Has anyone bought prams from Big W? And are they goof quality? Any suggestions would help!!! Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it's best to go to a baby shop to look at prams. They will show you how to put up and down and you can drive it round the store, it really is a personal thing what you feel comfortable pushing. Just think about where you will use it most, shopping? Walking? Off road? This makes a big difference in what to look for. I have a mountain buggy swift with attachable bassinet, love it to bits. It's light, easy to drive and fits through nearly all checkouts. We love walking down the creek so needed a pram to go on gravel. Only thing is they don't make a toddler seat attachment. I've now bought a Phil and teds double for when bubs #2 arrives. We'll see how that compares.

Happy shopping, it's a big decision
    Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there!

I'm from NZ too but have been here for about 10 yrs now, long time!

We're expecting our first baby next month, and so have spent hours and hours in baby stores test driving prams so I thought I'd let you know what we ended up with.

My requirements when I went looking were:
    - easy to fold/use
    - lightweight
    - reversible handle (I wanted front and rear facing)
    - big canopy
    - window (I was surprised at how many prams don't have windows anymore? Maybe I'm just old fashioned!)

We ended up settling on the Capella Cony, as it had EVERYTHING we were looking for. I don't know where else you can get it from but we got ours from Babies R Us, which you should check out anyway (they have 24 week lay-buys!)

It folds to a standing up position, and with one hand! So many prams we tried folded down to the ground which is just annoying.

It only weighs 6.9kg which is insanely light.

The handles reverse EASILY, just hold down two buttons.

The canopy folds all the way down to the front bar, which means awesome coverage from sun and wind.

And it has a window, yay!!

The only bad thing is, it's not that pretty , lol, well not compared to the uber stylish ones you see around these days, but, for me function seems more important than looks.

BTW, for the car seat, we ended up getting the Infa-Secure 0 - 8, which takes them from birth to 8 years old (not sure about NZ but kids need to be in a car/booster seat until at least 7 now).

Hope this helps!

xoxo

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies! I will check out both your prams! And babies r us! Didn't even know they had one here! The Internet hasn't been very helpful with stores.
    Anna that's the car seat we're looking at aswell! Where did you get yours from? X

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also I don't think the Capella is ugly! The blue is cute But the thing that worries me is the size of the wheels. Are they sturdy?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Is there a reason you only want forward facing? IME it's great to have the option of either rear or forward facing. Sometimes it's easier to keep baby happy in there if they can see your face, especially good for long walks or shopping etc.

Anyway different prams will suit different needs, some things to consider might include -
    *do you plan on more children in the nearer future, if so maybe consider a pram that allows you to add on a second seat
    *do you plan on doing a lot of walking, if so consider a pram with really good tyres particularly pneumatic ones for walking off road
    *are you or your partner tall, if so handle height will be crucial and also the seat height and weight may be important - we are all tall, large build ppl and my daughter outgrew her pram in height and weight very early on

So after never really researching prams that much in the past and consequently buying two duds in a row, this time we spent a looooon time deciding and finally bought the Safety 1st shuttle system. The first thing that attracted us to it was that it uses the Safety 1st one safe capsule, which is the only 5 star safety rated capsule. But the pram itself has a very high handle, the highest back on the child seat that we have seen on any pram, good weight limit - 20kg (previous prams were 18kg), excellent functioning in reverse (the seat reverses rather than the handle like our last pram did, steering in revers face mode was shocking!), great tyres for off road walks, great protection from extendable hood/shade and narrow enough wheel base to fit through all shops etc.

Good luck!
    Last edited by bada; 25-06-2012 at 08:20.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We got the steelcraft cruiser with the capsule (from target) it can face either way which we wanted for reasons mentioned by a PP ( also I figure it's easier taking the whole capsule of of the car instead of just a baby especially when they're sleeping and you don't want to wake them) it's lightweight (not sure of exact weight) has a pretty large hood and a window. You can get a bassinet attachment for it too. the handle Telescopes out so depending on your height you can have it down low or up relatively high.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MRR1006 View Post
    We got the steelcraft cruiser with the capsule (from target) it can face either way which we wanted for reasons mentioned by a PP ( also I figure it's easier taking the whole capsule of of the car instead of just a baby especially when they're sleeping and you don't want to wake them) it's lightweight (not sure of exact weight) has a pretty large hood and a window. You can get a bassinet attachment for it too. the handle Telescopes out so depending on your height you can have it down low or up relatively high.
    I have one of these and love it!!!

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    ahh i have just been through the pram nightmare too!!

personally Big W I would avoid - I do buy stuff from there often but never big ticket items that I need to last - they tend to break in my experience!

I did alot of looking online, alot of annoying other hubbers and then went into Baby Buntings and looked at their range.

Find your criteria and it should be easier to narrow it down.

I wasn't sure about the whole capsule/pram thing either - in the end I opted for a baby capsule in car and brought a pram that it can connect to (but I picked the pram first that suited all my criteria so it was a bit of a bonus really).

I looked at strollers that you can put a bassinet onto but when I saw them in real life they seems a bit odd to me.

I have found a pram that can have the seat forward or rear facing; the seat reclines flat so can be used as bassinet anytime without having to buy a bassinet seperate.

ARe you looking for a stroller (like Maclaren) or a pram pram. I wanted one that was both in one and quickly learnt thats impossible! Seems you need a real pram that is kinda wide, heavy adn hen you can get a stroller that is lightweight and super compact when they are bigger.

What else are you looking for in the pram?
    -3 or 4 wheeler?
    -option for 2nd seat?
    -what sort of tyres/surfaces?
    -size (how wide and heavy?)
    -price

The main ones I looked at where
    1. Baby jogger city select
    2. Mountain buggy
    3. Bebe Rverse
    4. Valco Rebel Q Air
    5. Strider plus 4 (i think that was name??)
    6. P&R prominade
    ETA: whoops - I opted for the Valco Rebel Q Air. Also, another reason for me picking the capsule was because next yr the car seat recommendations are changing and OZ is allowing the ISOFIX car seats which are apparently the safest/best car seats. The capsule is being lent to me by a friend so no expense there and then next yr I will hopefully get a car seat that is either ISOFIX or an older one that may be a runout model cheaper?
    Last edited by Buttoneska; 25-06-2012 at 12:20.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow tthanks for the help ladies. It's very helpful and everyone seems to have chosen different prams! I guess it's what I feel comfortable with. I love the idea of a bassinet or capsule attachment but it's just making sure I don't have to spend another $500 five months down the track on a decent car seat (and I'm pretty sure this baby is going to be big). My parter and I are both tall as well so need something with height and big sturdy wheels are important to me as well as the baby facing me. I like the option of turning both ways so will check them out! Thanks heaps xx