+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    What's it like when your waters break? Does it keep flowing and all icky once it breaks or what? I know all waters are different and some break in bits but in some movies its dripping down the ladies legs and stuff like a horror movie
    With DS1 i heard a 'pop' then it just gushed out. With DS2 it was just a slow trickle.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:

backgroundnoise  (25-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backgroundnoise View Post
    What's it like when your waters break? Does it keep flowing and all icky once it breaks or what? I know all waters are different and some break in bits but in some movies its dripping down the ladies legs and stuff like a horror movie
    I know it varies quite a bit but with mine I heard/felt a little "pop" while walking around, then felt a little trickle. I was already wearing a pad because I had had my "show" early in the day and was already having a fair bit of discharge (TMI! sorry!) so I just upgraded it to maternity pad and that contained it neatly hehe. It continued at a little trickle until I reached transition (sitting on the loo at the hospital) when I remember getting a bit of a gush, then nothing more til after bubby had arrived.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarelou View Post
    Hey EmyB can you tell me if you ended up using the water injections? I have a scoliosis (bent spine) and used to suffer quite badly from back pain. Most surprisingly I have had so little pain during pregnancy, but am concerned I may have alot of back pain during labour. Also when did you start the raspberry leaf tablets? TIA x
    I didn't get time! Hahaha. I have seen it done before however and it always seems to work remarkably well. It only really works for "posterior" labour pains i.e. women who feel the contractions/pain in their back. I didn't, it was all in my front anyway. I don't reckon you'll necessarily get back pain in labour just because you have a bad back. You tend to get back pain in labour if bubby is positioned posteriorly and it puts a lot of pressure on your sacral bone/coccyx on the way out.

I think with the raspberry leaf tablets I started somewhere about 32-34 weeks. I'll be doing that again this time. I went into spontaneous labour at 39 weeks (which I also like to attribute to the raspberry leaf, but who knows!).

I hope that helps.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Piffle For This Useful Post:

backgroundnoise  (25-06-2012),Sarelou  (25-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was induced with DD and had a vaginal birth.

I woke early in the morning when my waters broke (they just trickled out) and we went off to the hospital. I was only getting very mild, very irregular contractions for the next few hours so they started the syntocin drip at 11am.

I had an epidural at some stage b/c I was in so much pain and I overheard the midwife saying I was only having moderate contractions (I dread to feel strong ones then!!). By 7.35pm DD was born (took about 45mins of pushing) with only minimal tearing (4 stitches). She was a 9pd baby which surprised us all .

Overall, DD's birth was a positive experience for me and I'm looking forward to labour this time round as I want to try with only gas as pain relief.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sakorsha For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Here's how it was for me (only gave birth 5 weeks ago so it's still fresh in my mind)

I found i could focus/cope with the first stage of labor using breathing techniques, massage, rocking, heat packs (first stage of labor for me was 6 hrs) contractions gradually build up & get stronger, longer & more regular.

As i got towards the second stage of labor i needed the bath (bath was heaven) shower & gas.
    Once i hit the second stage of labor (was 7cm when i started to feel like this) i couldn't focus at all & each contraction made me feel like i'd been winded & the pressure down below & the urge to push was almost unbearable, the only thing that helped at all was the hot bath & the gas & the little break between contractions, i was offered morphine but refused because all it does is make me nauseous & sleepy. I asked (begged) for the epidural but it was too late by then. I was only in second stage labor for 2 hrs but honestly, it was horrendous (for me) the pushing was easier than labor & a lot of women say how painful the babies head crowning is, but i didn't think it was that bad. With my previous 2 bubs, i had the epidural once i hit 4cm but the labors were twice as long, this is the only bub i have had a natural, drug free birth with & i must admit, it feels very empowering but if there was ever a 4th, i would opt for elective c - section.

Every women's labor experience is different & unique

If i had to offer advice though it would be - Try to focus on breathing for as long as you can, don't fear the labor, just go with it - no matter how hard/painful it becomes, trust your body & be prepared (this was the most important thing for me & helped me get through it better than anything else, i just kept repeating 'no fear' over & over in my head when things got rough)

Hope i've helped

8. The Following User Says Thank You to loumia For This Useful Post:

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backgroundnoise View Post
    Thank you for your responses girls! I feel so uneducated with all this I just want to know everything!

Polly6034: Did you go to Hospital on the Saturday morning? Why did you go so long? (If you don't mind me asking haha I'm so interested in knowing as much as possible)
    My waters broke with a slight gush (can you have a slight gush?) Anyway, I felt them go and lost a fair bit of water with each change of position but I think dd's head plugged it when I was standing up. When I got in the car and out I lost a fair bit of water. I walked into the hospital with a bath towel in case I needed it on the walk

Sent from my HTC Desire using BubHub

10. The Following User Says Thank You to SpecialPatrolGroup For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    So true that all women are different. For my first I was induced at 11 am but felt nothing till 7.30 when we had been sent home. Soon as I sat down to watch home and away I thought I was peeing myself then went to the toilet and knew I wasn't just peeing it was my waters ( was so relieved it hadn't happened in public) contractions got steadier and heavier and where really easy to deal with in the first 5 hours. They got very painful as I was approaching full dilation then the urge to push started (kinda just felt like trying to push out a poop tmi lol) pushing made me really tired but she was so close I mustered all the power I had left and pushed her out. At the time I told myself never to allow myself to do it again but I said the same about my first tattoo. In no time I forgot about most of it and in the end it was all worth it.

Ps love how one lady is named after vivians hamster from the young ones. Lol.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Ellyjan10 For This Useful Post:

backgroundnoise  (22-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default All The Info

Everyone is different. I went 4 days overdue. Bub didn't engage till after I started labouring. I was 5 cm when I got to hospital 10 hours after the first twinge. Only pain relief was sterile water injections ( highly recommended), did lots of walking abd rocking when labouring. My waters was broken by the midwife as i started pushing. Bubs had been posterior but in turning got her head forehead up (brow presentation), she went into foetal distress as I was pushing so decision was made for emergency ceaser for her sake which sucked but was best for bubs. Getting a Spinal when your body is trying to push is full on. I screamed the theatre down to try and stay still.

At the end of the day you don't know what will happen so go in with an open mind and a rough plan. Most midwives are very supportive of natural birth. I will do the natural birth again next time for sure.

Good luck with bubs

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Shaz2184 For This Useful Post:

backgroundnoise  (22-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default You can do it!

Hi there,

I had a beautiful natural hypnobirth and delivered my daughter myself in the shower at the birth centre! My waters broke first at 10.30pm on Saturday night with a popping feeling and then a slow trickle. An hour later I had surges (contractions) 5 mins apart. I laboured through the night at home with my hubby and doula which was awesome. We went into the birth centre at sunrise as I my doula thought I ws probably about 6cm. At the birth centre I went into the HOT shower for pain relief which was amazing! Just when I thought that I couldn't cope with the pain any longer, I felt pressure and my body started to push! 3 pushes later and my beautiful baby was born into my arms. No tears or anything, just a slight labial graze cos she came out so fast!!

This was my first baby and she was born in March this year (2012). Very few people thought that I could do it all by myself, but I did!!

I would recommend a few things if you want a natural birth: you need to develop a deep trust in your body and never loose faith that your body can birth your baby. You need to surround yourself with positive birth stories and daily positive affirmations. You need a support team that you can rely on to advocate for you during the labour. When you think you can't go on during your labour, baby is usually just around the corner! Prepare your perineum with massage - it will help to prevent a tear/epis.

You also need to know that labour, birth and babies are something that you can prepare for, but you can never control. Prepare for a natural birth but don't beat yourself up if things don't go to plan!!

Good luck! The mind is such a powerful tool, believe you can do it and you probably can

16. The Following User Says Thank You to lilly rose For This Useful Post:

backgroundnoise  (23-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default All The Info

Background noise have you had bub yet? I had my natural birth, you can read my story in the birth stories thread - the birth of Charlize Amarli

Thanks
    Reviews

Default All The Info

Quote Originally Posted by lilly rose View Post

Very few people thought that I could do it all by myself, but I did!!

I would recommend a few things if you want a natural birth: you need to develop a deep trust in your body and never loose faith that your body can birth your baby. You need to surround yourself with positive birth stories

When you think you can't go on during your labour, baby is usually just around the corner!
    Agree with all of these! Just as I lost grip, bub was born about 10 mins later!