+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Milk supply and water consumption

I've read that there's no "scientific basis" to the link between water consumption and maintaining (or increasing) milk supply, but I'm wondering what you think.

I could be imagining it, but if I haven't drunk enough water then I seem to notice a decrease the next day and also issues with letdown that aren't to do with stress, fatigue, etc.

What are your thoughts on this topic? Did/does your water intake affect milk supply?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm also more thirsty while bfing. Especially at the beginning of feeds. Makes me think that it's important at the very least... Or else why would my body tell me to drink...?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I read something that said for some people it will make a difference, but for others it won't. I definitely think that my water consumption influences my milk supply. I know when I don't drink between 2 and 3 litres of water a day, I usually have to give DS2 a comp feed after a breast feed, and I get almost zero if I try to express after the feed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it might have affected me at the beginning as I would always feel very thirsty at the start of a feed but now that my supply has evened out 13 weeks into it I don't get that thirsty feeling anymore.

I drink when thirsty, some days more than others and it doesn't seem to affect my supply at all anymore.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not a water drinker. I have a bottle next to my bed that I have a sip of during the night when I wake but during the day I drink tea, soft drink and juice and that's it's.

I demand bf'd my dd2 and DS for 10 months each and had no troubles with supply at all, I only weaned dd to ttc DS and weaned DS as he was a biter :-(

My mil is a water freak. She'll drink 2 Lt. easily a day and is always telling me I should be drinking more, especially while pregnant and feeding.. Does my head in actually so was glad to see the results of this research :-)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 2girls1boyplus1 For This Useful Post:

Lissy12  (24-06-2012)