+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Ishtyban View Post
    no....

just because you did learn, does not mean its the same for everyone.

I dont know much at all..I have no grasp of punctuation..or basic maths.
    I am quite stupid, sadly.

But after 15 schools , what do you expect.
    15 schools would suck! It's hard to learn much when you spend most of your energy trying to fit in and adapt to your new environment..

Hey btw it's never too late to learn the basics that get you through life.

I was an average kid at school who put in the least amount of work to get by....but I did learn loads and actually remember that stuff more than all the theory I learnt at uni.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, I had fabulous teachers in the public system in the early 90s. They were dedicated and had been teaching for a long time. There were many good students in my year group that challenged each other and provided competition to do well. I plan to send my children to public schools. I went on to university from school and now work as a professional person.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    No.. I truly feel everything I learnt, I learnt myself through being a bookworm. Oh and Wikipedia helped

Bonkers is offline wishes she was a glow worm. A glow worm's never glum, 'cos how can you be grumpy when the sun shines out of your bum?
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    i havnt read the prev responses.

in one word, maybe lol.

when i was going into yr 10 we moved from nsw to wa and they have dif scholing systems and this stuffed me up quiet a bit. i also had sever asthma and often couldnt go to school due to coughing so much i was sick.

i did learn how to make friends from scratch, but atm thats all i can think that i learnt, i had a horrible english teacher in yr 10 who picked on me all the time for god knows what reason (i was norm a good girl) by half way threw the yr i wagged alot, and yr 11 i wagged heaps. yr 12 i settled down a bit...

i just remembered i did learn something, i learnt how to make jewelry , using silver and gems and all that, its was so fun, i wanted to keep doing it but the only school (uni/tafe) in aus at the time that did it was in nsw

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennybaby View Post
    I have no idea how you would learn nothing! The assumption being that you have the educational knowledge of a 12 year old if you didn't? Surely everyone got something out of five years of schooling...even if you no longer recognize it as valuable.
    I agree with this. I think most (note, most) people don't remember the boring class part, and just focus on the extraneous things they did. I doubt *most* of you have a 6th grade educational level.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I think some people learn different ways, I also think that a lot of people don't fit in to the neat academic box that our education system is based on.

I can honestly say that I really learnt nothing at high school and my grades of 7% and 13% in two my classes prove that.

But after I left the school system and went to TAFE and it was a whole different ball game, I far preferred learning that way - you had to do it for you, no one else cared if you were there or not or if you did the work or not. I went from failing every subject, from getting 7% in Maths to winning an award for it and from failing English and taking 4 unit in the HSC.

I really just don't feel the school system is for everyone.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Bubhub Blogger
    I went to a public highschool in NSW right through yr 12.

I learnt a lot of horrible things about the world and personalities, but I also learnt a lot in classes.

I do think you get out what you put in though, and if you're never there long enough to be able to reach out for help, you'd be left with very very little.
    ishyban

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Beetle View Post
    I agree with this. I think most (note, most) people don't remember the boring class part, and just focus on the extraneous things they did. I doubt *most* of you have a 6th grade educational level.
    I agree with this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was the kind of student who had to do something because *I* wanted to do it. I dropped out of school after year 11, started a traineeship, regretted not finishing school and went back and did year 12 at night school while working full time. It was full on, but I learned more because I was putting in the effort and was mature enough by that stage to ask for help and seek out assistance. I went on to uni and did biomedical science.

I feel like I learned far more in that one year at night school than I did at high school. This was late 90s.

Savingfishfromdrowning is offline If you can't change your fate, change your attitude
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I learnt a lot because I wanted to learn. I finished year 12 in 1999 and went to a private school (though I think I would have learnt plenty in a public school too).

It comes down a lot to my personality - I'm a goody two-shoes nerdy type and I love learning. I still remember and use loads of the information from highschool and I built on it at Uni. I also learnt lots of practical skills at school that I wouldn't have had otherwise (like how to cook and sew).

I doubt anyone could go through highschool and learn 'nothing' unless they were deliberately trying not to learn.