+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Negotiating hours if coming back early from Mat leave

Has anyone had any experience with this?

I work for the government and work 2.5 days a week. Wed, Thurs and Fri. Wednesday is a crossover day with my colleague and I only spend 3 hours behind the counter and another 2 hours sitting around doing nothing

I'm technically on Mat leave until October but I have to go back for financial reasons. I will be starting back week after next. I haven't told my boss about this yet, will be ringing her on Monday. She'll be ecstatic as she is using her relief staff for the entire region to fill in for me as they wouldn't let her employ someone to fill my role while I was gone.

What I'm planning on asking is if I can drop the Wednesday until my Mat leave was supposed to end in Oct and only work the Thursday and Friday. The way I see it, she is gaining her relief back for two days and only needs relief on the Wednesday for a few hours. That's gotta be better than nothing right?

I'm really nervous about asking. Do you think this is a reasonable request?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sounds very reasonable to me. If I was your boss I would be very happy with this. I don't think you need to worry.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah, I think that's fine

I work for gov too and was full time then asked for three days then changed it to four. They were just happy to have me back at all and didn't care if it was 2,3 or 4 days!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's a very reasonable request! Government can be tricky for hiring staff. Sometimes they will allow you to hire someone on contract to cover leave other times they'll only allow someone to come over from another department. But either way it's not your job to worry about how the rest of the hours will be made up. They might be able to get someone on relief for 5 hours a week or maybe they will allow the person you are job sharing with to take on an extra 5 hours a week for a few months.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Hi OP I work for DHHS in Tassie and it's actually in their maternity leave policy (or their work/family policy, not sure which), that you can specify the number of hours you want to work until your youngest child starts school.

I returned from ML in Nov 11 - I started doing one half day a week and built up to 2 full days. I even specified Monday Tuesday but I think you have to fit in with business needs in terms of which days you work.

Make sure you tell your boss in writing you don't want to lose your establishment (0.5 FTE or whatever it is you are working) but you want to return to work at 2 days pw and are happy to review in 6 months time - or whatever.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleven Eleven View Post
    Yeah, I think that's fine

I work for gov too and was full time then asked for three days then changed it to four. They were just happy to have me back at all and didn't care if it was 2,3 or 4 days!!
    I did this too.
    Was full time before, came back from mat leave doing 3 days an after 6 months changed to 4 days and have stayed there for nearly 3 years now