+ Reply to Thread
    tulip79 is offline There's only one beautiful child in the world and every mother has it.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Weaning 4mth old from dummy

Can anyone share their dummy weaning experience with me please? Particularly if it was at baby age and wasn't an easy experience...

DS2 has just been sick so to get any sleep at all in that 2 week period, he had the dummy. So, now he's almost better but is waking for the dummy several times overnight. When it goes back in he goes straight back to sleep within 2 secs (he's not able to find it himself yet or put it back in though).

Maybe it's a case of cold turkey and a few rough nights, but any insight from experience is grateful

Thanks
    Reviews
    Probably not the reply you're looking for but around the same age I lost my DS dummy in the house somewhere, anyway we had no more and I was home alone late at night so I had no choice but cold turkey. I think he cried for maybe 10 minutes? I soothed him eventually Then he slept for probably 5 solid hours!!!
    Never looked back

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 5month old also has a dummy but fortunately doesn't wake for it to be put back in (sorry!) However I would also like to wean her off of it completely as I am afraid that she will require it like that in the future. I do agree with going cold turkey... I'm just not sure I have the strength for that just yet! I also find that if I pull it out when her sucking slows and let her fall the rest of the way to sleep herself she seems to be fine (mostly)

Hope this helps

Thanks
    Reviews
    I got rid of DS's dummy at 3 months.
    Like you it was becoming more and more of a hassle getting up to pop it back in as he was too little to find it himself.
    I started cold turkey on the day sleeps and yes there was about 10 mins of protesting each time.
    He eventually found his fingers and used them to soothe himself.
    Even now at 6 months if he is grizzling in bed he will pop his thumb in his mouth.
    It wont be easy but it can be done.
    I guess consistency is the key.