+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default A few questions about public hospitals..

A bit of background first so you know what im talking about ..

My previous 2 births ended up being c/sections - with dd, i didn't dilate past 3cm's in 15 hours and her heart rate had suddenly dropped too slow, so they did an emergency c... With ds, i was in labour for 14 hours and hadn't dilated past 3cm's again, and no matter what they tried, i just wouldn't budge dilating anymore, so he ended up being c/section as well. both kids were born in private hospitals..

now. im pregnant again and am going public (the royal woman's in Brisbane) and they have told me to think about weather i want to try for another vbac OR just book in for an elective c/section.. i'm stumped what to do as my SIL told me her midwife friend who works at the Mater public told her, that if I was to choose vbac, then they would make me labour for hours on end, pretty much until I was getting hysterical and anxious, so they would do a c/section in the end.

I guess my question is, is this really true in public hospitals when trying for a vbac?? i find that thought to be a bit scary really, as I'm not too confident on my chances of dilating past 3cm's again. Would you still attempt a vbac? or just save yourself agony of being in labour for that long and it resulting in a c/section and having a longer recovery? They did tell me my first meeting with the ob would be at 37-38 weeks.. and i said to the midwife, that i have never gone past 37 weeks in either pregnancies.. so i may just meet the ob when i come in, because the chance I will go full term isn't big either.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm not sure about vbacs because I've only ever had one vaginal birth, but I probably wouldn't attempt another one if I were in your position. I just think it must be so much harder to go through an entire labour and then have an emergency c-section, than to have a planned one. I don't think I would be willing to take the chance again.

That being said, it's such a personal decision, and one that only you can make, that's just what I would be thinking if I were you
    Best of luck with your birth and whatever you decide

3. The Following User Says Thank You to nicoletta For This Useful Post:

GlitterFarts  (24-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    You need to research VBA2C's... I had one. Very hard to get support for one though. I'd be having a pretty in depth discussion with your care provider and doing lots of reading and research.
    Good luck!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to faroutbrusselsprout For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Given your history and the failure to progress I would go straight for the c-section. I honestly don't see the point in putting your body through the stress of labour if the likely outcome is going to be a c-section - you will find that you will most likely have an easier recovery with an elective vs an emergency as your body hasn't had to go through that stress.

Having said that, I was offered a VBAC with my 2nd at the Royal (but declined - I had 24 hours + of labour with my first and got no further than 4cm) but don't know what their thoughts are on VBACs with 3rd or subsequent pregnancies.

Make sure that you stress to each midwife that you meet with that you haven't made it past 37 weeks previously - the midwives at the royal can differ greatly in how they view these things.

Good luck!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Cupcake85 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If your ob as given you the choice to try for a vbac then i would think it is safe for you to have one, if you decide to. In saying this, at your appointment where u discussed this you should have been given a VBAC information booklet that outlines everything including all the pro's and con's. I fond it very usefull in helping me make my decision.

With VBAC they DO NOT let you labour for hours on end, i was told no more than 8 hours and if no pregression or compications occuring therefore resulting in emergency c-section, it can make the birth higher risk for you and bub's. You are VERY closely monitored the whole time while you labour.
    You really need to to your part in researching, asking ur ob qustions and finding out all you can. It's a very personal decision. For me, i would realy like to labour naturaly this time and try for a vbac but my dh and i have come to the decision to go for the planned c-section as it is the safer option for bub's and me.

Goodluck with your decision, im sure it will be what's best for you and bubs
    Last edited by Hunkamunka; 24-06-2012 at 16:28.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hunkamunka For This Useful Post:

GlitterFarts  (24-06-2012),mrswhitehouse  (25-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunkamunka View Post
    If your ob as given you the choice to try for a vbac then i would think it is safe for you to have one, if you decide to. In saying this, at your appointment where u discussed this you should have been given a VBAC information booklet that outlines everything including all the pro's and con's. I fond it very usefull in helping me make my decision.

With VBAC they DO NOT let you labour for hours on end, i was told no more than 8 hours and if no pregression or compications occuring therefore resulting in emergency c-section, it can make the birth higher risk for you and bub's. You are VERY closely monitored the whole time while you labour.
    You really need to to your part in researching, asking ur ob qustions and finding out all you can. It's a very personal decision. For me, i would realy like to labour naturaly this time and try for a vbac but my dh and i have come to the decision to go for the planned c-section as it is the safer option for bub's and me.

Goodluck with your decision, im sure it will be what's best for you and bubs

thanks for your reply, no i haven't had any information given to me regarding vbac.. (when I went private with the second birth) and they even had me still labouring at 14 hours.. and were trying to convince me to keep trying to hang on for longer to see if i will progress... hmm. maybe different policies for different hospitals? im going public this time, so i have no idea how they do things.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi There,

I went Public this time with DD (private for DS1 and DS2) and they were really supportive of VBA2C.

One thing the OB and hospital said was that I had to progress all on my own. That they couldnt administer any drugs to quicken labour and that after a some time if I havent progressed I would have to have a c/s.

I went into labour all on my own (3am)! and went into hopsy. They would have sent me home to labour on my own (which I was desperate to do!) but because I tested positive for G?? (v@ginal swab thing) I had to stay in hospy as they had to administer antibiotics.

So I did all the right things, walked, bounced, didnt get on the bed once. The middies were so positive and were really keen for me to vb but after 11 hours I only got to 2cms and had a c/s. So yes I laboured for a while but the pain was manageble. I definately could have been at home to do it and I honestly think I would have dilated more as I would have been more relaxed in my own place. It was only later in the arvo the pain was starting to become a bit more intense and they had to up the gas to full. I asked for an epi but they discouraged it only because it would slow labour.

Yes I could have had a c/s straight away but I really really wanted to try to VB this time, especially as I had more knowledge about the whole process. I figured if it didnt work I would end up in a c/s so it was a c/s either way!

Good luck with whatever option you choose!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to FluffyDucks For This Useful Post:

Theophania is offline 'see what had happened was..there were these three ninjas and a blue monkey and well it really wasn't my fault..'
    Thanks
    Reviews
    OP if I were you I would try for a natural birth. There are many reasons why I would choose a natural birth over a repeat cesarean.

I wonder why your body never made it past 3 cms? Were you induced at all? Did you stay home for very long before heading to the hospital? Did you feel safe and supported throughout your labors?

I guess for me what I am getting at is that there can be many reasons why your body didn't progress past 3cms before. If you can figure out why and work on that you may have a much better chance of getting a natural birth.

I did alot of research before my VBAC and learnt how my body worked throughout labor so that I could trust my body to do what it had to. It helped me to release any fears I was holding onto.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Theophania For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Theophania View Post
    OP if I were you I would try for a natural birth. There are many reasons why I would choose a natural birth over a repeat cesarean.

I wonder why your body never made it past 3 cms? Were you induced at all? Did you stay home for very long before heading to the hospital? Did you feel safe and supported throughout your labors?

I guess for me what I am getting at is that there can be many reasons why your body didn't progress past 3cms before. If you can figure out why and work on that you may have a much better chance of getting a natural birth.

I did alot of research before my VBAC and learnt how my body worked throughout labor so that I could trust my body to do what it had to. It helped me to release any fears I was holding onto.

Im unsure of why I couldn't dilate any further both times, and both times i was really relaxed and calm, actually i was pretty much joking and talking the whole time, both times i was in labour, i didn't even scream/cry, every time i had a contraction i'd just clench my fists and that's it really.. and the midwives were commenting how relaxed it was inside the room..

for the first birth my waters broke at 4am and i stayed at home until 10am pretty much until the contractions were 3-4 mins apart and i went in, and then with the second birth i had my waters break at 9pm and i rang the hospital as i was barely 36 weeks by that point (no problems in either pregnancies either) and they said i ''must'' come in ''immediately'' as i was early and my waters had broken..

i'd love to find out ''how'' (won't make sense here) i can get myself to dilate. lol. what can i do that was different the first two times.. i do remember they said i was not to get up off the bed as i was hooked up to some machines, so it's not like i could walk around or anything, but im unsure even if walking around , bouncing on a ball etc would have helped?

Bonkers is offline wishes she was a glow worm. A glow worm's never glum, 'cos how can you be grumpy when the sun shines out of your bum?
    Thanks
    Reviews
    i would like to know the outcome (if your further along then me) ill be going to redcliffe and iv had 2 prev csections, but i havnt seen anyone yet apart from my gp, so i dont even know if they will offer a vba2c.