+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default 6 month old NOT taking to solids as duck to water...

Is this common?

My last bub took to solids and eating off a spoon instantly. No probs at all.

This baby always watches us eat and reaches out for our food - and now it's her turn.... she doesn't seem at all interested. She won't open her mouth for the spoon and if I sneak a bit in she screws up her face - and on day 3 she cried as soon as she saw the bowl and spoon coming her way. So I put it away and left it for the day.

It's only been about four days... and so far I've only offered rice cereal mixed with b/milk.

I'm going to try a different food tomorrow to see if it's a taste thing.

I just didn't anticipate such a lack of interest.

And for weeks now she's been waking and feeding every couple of hours or more each night -- so I thought she was getting hungrier as she got older... I'm pretty desperate for a better nights sleep.

Am a bit down about it all... mainly from lack of sleep.

I should also mention she is one month premmie. Would this have something to do with it? I'm thinking not because some people start solids at four months.

Do babies just sometimes take longer to get the hang of the whole solids thing?
    Last edited by onedayatatime; 23-06-2012 at 22:21.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Completely normal, keep offering the food. I don't know if you've ever tried rice cereal, but I can understand the screwed up face. Lol

3. The Following User Says Thank You to daysta112 For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (24-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Have you looked into BLW? If she is reaching for your food let her try some! She is only young and as pp have said some take longer, I would keep trying ( not rice cereal) and she will eat when she is ready

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I started solids with my 7 month old DS just after 4 months (on medical advice).
    I didn't bother with rice cereal since both my girls hated it and gave him puréed pumpkin as his first food. The first time I offered it to him he opened his mouth and was quite happy to eat it. And then his interest dropped off.
    He would take the food in his mouth, then move it around and spit it out. I stopped for a bit, tried a few different things with no real progress.
    But in the last couple of weeks he's just started eating, and now he has 2-3 meals a day.
    He likes finger food- steamed carrot sticks, beans and broccoli, rice rusks, toast with avocado, watermelon.
    These things take time- you can keep trying or give it a rest and try again in a couple of weeks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Maybe the baby lead weaning (BLW) is definitely something you could try. She sounds like she is showing interest in food but maybe it's not the way she wants to try it. I didn't have much success with BLW but definitely could be worth a shot.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Rice cereal is YUCK! Hehehe....

I started DS with Rafferty's multigrain cereal mixed with EBM. I had a quick taste of the Farex and decided I wouldn't even feed it to the dog.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My DS hated rice cereal, so we went straight to veggies. I then mixed puréed fruit with some rice cereal, which he loved.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by singa06 View Post
    My DS hated rice cereal, so we went straight to veggies. I then mixed puréed fruit with some rice cereal, which he loved.
    Yes I tried Rafferty cereal for a week and then he started to have an increased appetite and went straight onto steamed veggies too. I left the sweet fruits for last. I was once told that if you leave the sweet fruits for last, they wont develop a sweet tooth. I don't know about other kids, but it is true in DS's case. He doesn't eat or drink sweet foods and beverages.
    He's 2,5 and only drinks water, milk and decaf tea (without sugar) and sometimes a weak milo.
    As for snacks, he prefer savoury crackers and pretty much the only sweet snacks he eats are raw veggies like broccoli and carrots.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Don't push it and just keep offering every so often. 'Food is for fun until one' so don't stress, she's getting what she needs from her milk.

I found that introducing solids made no difference to DS's sleeping at night, and apparently milk has much more calories than solids so try not get hung up on solids = sleeping. I know it's hard when they won't sleep though!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone - these replies are really helpful.

It's the Rafferty's cereal (the 4 month one) I've tried and I did taste it! I thought it was nice! lol! I must have weird taste!

I'm going to try a bit of potato today. We made up a few veges and fruits yesterday but I forgot all about pumpkin! My first dd loved pumpkin.

Thanks for opinions regarding the sleep. It did occur to us that it might be a comfort thing to feed in the night rather than hunger... last night my husband settled her for half the wakings and I 'hid' under the blankets! She still settled despite looking over his shoulder at me trying to use the 'force' to get me up and feeding. Was a slightly better night actually.

I forget that 'food is for fun under one'. I was a bit hung-up on them needing extra iron from about 6 months. That was why I was using the cereal. But last night I read an article here on BH about iron and breastfeeding so I feel a bit less paranoid about it now.

I will look into the BLW. I know very little about it but shall investigate it right away as it could be the thing for us.