View Poll Results: What do you think is the best amount of time to spend in hospital after having baby?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • As soon as possible (One hour)

9 19.15%
  • After a sleep

4 8.51%
  • One night

4 8.51%
  • Two nights

8 17.02%
  • Three nights

8 17.02%
  • Four or more nights

14 29.79%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Based on my experience with a premmie baby: while I was fine I didn't want to leave her (rule of thumb they stay there until full term reached BUT I think they say this just in case Gabi out in 8 days). They said I could leave when I had done both 1s & 2s (down below functioning). Bub could leave in theory once pedo checked baby and gave ok.

If everything had gone ok I would have been out < 24 hours. Hospitals are full of germs & infections.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I have had 2 vaginal births. My first born, I was in for 48 hours, couldn't wait to get home.

I was home after 36 hours with my son. I would've gone home after 24, but it would've been 9pm, so I just stayed in for the night. I couldn't go home earlier than 24 hours as my son was born big (4.85kg) and had to be monitored for diabetes.

I am thinking of staying as long as possible this time, but will probably end up coming home as I will be desperate to get home again. We will see.

Thanks
    Reviews
    For a first baby I would recommend as long as it takes to get breastfeeding established. For me that was 8 days (c-section followed by 4 days in intensive care for sever toxemia).

If I achieve a vbac for my next baby, I think 2 days would be sufficient.

Sent from my HTC Desire using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My first I stayed in hospital for 3 days, 4 including the day she was born.

My second I was in and out in about 12 hours, would have been sooner but they had to organize the hearing test etc so had to wait.

This time I am going through the birth centre and they only allow you to stay a maximum of 4-6 hours after the birth. Providing all goes well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    My ideal situation would be push the baby out, have a shower and then leave.
    With ds1 i was in for 5 days... A very straightforward pregnancy and birth, no complications. I was a young single mum though so in the hospitals eyes i was some sort of risk. I had to stay in hospital wasting a bed. I had no privacy, the hospital wouldn't supply me vegan food so i basically had nothing to eat over the 5 days. The whole experience was horrible.
    With ds2 it was straightfoward and complication free as well. I had learnt to stand up for myself by this stage so i went home the same day as i intended. The midwives wanted to me to stay as i had a fever but like hell i was going to. They sent ds to intensive care to have his heart checked out before we could leave so all up i left 6 hours after the birth.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    As long as the hospital lets you.
    With all 3 births I stayed in for 4 nights afterwards.
    Birth is a tiring business and my newborns fed at least every 2 hrs, sometimes even hourly.
    Being in hospital forced me to rest and recover before I went home and meant that I had lots of time to bond with my baby.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    I stayed four nights after DS was born (straightforward vaginal birth) and even though I was very keen to get home after the fourth night I'm glad I did have that time. That gave me the time to get breastfeeding established, if I'd gone home after one or two nights I honestly don't think I'd be breastfeeding.

I found that I got more sleep at home though so I don't think being in hospital means that you get to have a rest. The midwives took DS for four hours the morning after he was born and I did get a sleep then, but that was only because they weren't busy.

I'm going private again next time so I'll get four nights if that's what I want, and I think it will be a good chance to focus on the baby and bond without the distractions of home.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I stayed 4 nights for both my births and didn't want to leave! I had a private room with a double bed and the food was great. Like a PP said, I didn't have to worry about washing, ironing, cooking and cleaning - it was bliss! The only downside for my second birth was that I missed my little girl (who was 4) very much. I would definitely stay as long as possible. There's no turning back once you're home!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I checked out what was considered early at the private hospital (less than 48 hrs after the birth). I had a private room with a double bed so dh was there and dd was in the bed with us most of the time. I found the midwives extremely meddling and just wanted complete privacy for family bonding. Next time I will try to go home much earlier.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think however long you want or need.
    I stayed 3 weeks after DD's were born and 8 weeks before they were born.
    So ideally I'd like 2 nights max this time purely because 11 weeks last time is more than a lifetime's worth for me and I want to get out quick smart! Especially since I'll have my DD's at home.
    I also have a very supportive DF and would prefer to be at home.