View Poll Results: What do you think is the best amount of time to spend in hospital after having baby?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • As soon as possible (One hour)

9 19.15%
  • After a sleep

4 8.51%
  • One night

4 8.51%
  • Two nights

8 17.02%
  • Three nights

8 17.02%
  • Four or more nights

14 29.79%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I stayed two nights and couldn't wait to get home, the hospital is so noisy! I slept so much better at home but it was good the first night, the middie took him so I could get a few hours sleep cause id been up since early Monday morning, given birth in the wee hours of Tuesday morning and then had only managed about an hours sleep by around 2 am Wednesday morning. I swore before I gave birth that I wouldn't let them take my baby away and I'd keep him with me at all times, but when she offered to take him, I pretty much said "ok" and then conked out immediately!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My hospital has us in for 5 days after birth. If you have a C section you're in for 6.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I stayed for 4 nights when I had my DD but had a private room. This time I'm hoping for 2 nights 3 at the most if everything is ok

Thanks
    Reviews
    My ideal amount of time was what I had with DD2 - nothing! I had her at a birth centre and went home a few hours after. DD1 spent the day at Grandma's while we chilled out in bed.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to albear For This Useful Post:

Bluest Blue Box  (24-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I stayed 2 nights with DS and by the third day I felt really ready to go home. But I think with my next (assuming all goes well) I will probably be there 1 night max

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    On my phone, can't do the poll. I stayed about 5 nights and didn't want to leave! In hospital it was easier to manage visitors, I didn't have to worry about food or cleaning or other chores, and I had 24/7 access to a well-baby nursery with lactation consultants and midwives. I wanted time to extract as much knowledge out of these people as possible!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Went into hosp around 9.30am, had DD by 12.20pm then they sent me home the next day I loved being in my own bed but as she is my first I didn't have much confidence and ALL my family was in NZ, everything just happened so fast.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I stayed 5 nights after DD and 4 nights after DS. Both were delivered by c-section. The only reason I spent 4 nights instead of 5 with DS was to come home for Christmas eve.

I enjoyed both periods of time. I was in a private hospital though which was like a hotel with a lovely view, nice food and DH stayed with me the whole time. I liked that little bubble of time with no housework or food preparation and for DH and I to just have time with our babies. I also appreciated having help on hand if needed for feeding etc.

If I had to share a room in a public hospital though I would definitely want to leave ASAP.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had the same idea of going home ASAP and DH and everyone else had the same idea as yours!
    People seen to think its relaxing being in hospital after a baby but for me it's awful and I can't sleep anyway!

Our hospital policy is 6 hr minimum discharge so I'm hoping for that :-) I missed out last time as DS was born in the ambulance after 10 pm so 6 hrs would have taken me til about 4am which obviously would have been silly.

I might see about getting my 3 to have a sleepover at their nanny's for the first night if I get home at a decent time of day, just to try and get some sleep.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I had a vaginal birth in a public hospital, and stayed two nights. I hated it, as I was sharing a room and I found the midwives bossy. I couldn't relax.

So, I would like to go home as quickly as possible. Although I'm birthing at home this time, so will hopefully avoid it completely.