View Poll Results: What do you think is the best amount of time to spend in hospital after having baby?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • As soon as possible (One hour)

9 19.15%
  • After a sleep

4 8.51%
  • One night

4 8.51%
  • Two nights

8 17.02%
  • Three nights

8 17.02%
  • Four or more nights

14 29.79%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Staying in hospital after having baby- What's your ideal amount of time? (Poll)

I've heard that (assuming mum and bub are perfectly fine of course) women are able to go home an hour after giving birth.
    I quite like that idea, and would like to be able to do that. Or perhaps have a sleep. Depending on how long labour is and how tired I am.

However. Everyone seems to think this is stupid. That I should stay in hospital. Don't rush home. Relax. Stay at least three days.

So I was curious as to what is the most common decision regarding staying in hospital. Any experiences more than welcome too

(For me, I stayed in for three days with my first, and either two or three days with my second)

***Edit- This poll is assuming that you've had a straight forward birth and there are no issues with mum or bub.
    Last edited by Fluffbum; 23-06-2012 at 17:13.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Can't see the poll but IF i'd had a straightforward birth I would have be out if there in a flash ...

Thanks
    Reviews
    i think its 4 hours but i didn't even go to the hospital with DD, was bliss sleeping in my own bed and getting settled straight away

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had 6-7 days in a private hospital both times and i'll be having the same again (this will be my 3rd *elective* cesar. All babies were/ are breech. Love the hospital and the nurses, the care is amazing, the food is fab. DH us rooming in with me too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had a c-section and was in for 3 or 4 nights, cannot remember which.

Before having my son my Mum always advised to stay in hospital for as long as possible as it would be the only time that you had someone to take the baby whenever you needed, eg so you could sleep and I have to say that I kinda agree with her.

if we have another one it will be by c-section again and will probably be 3 or 4 nights again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I stayed four nights all up. I really enjoyed being waited on hand and foot while DH and I got to know DD. had I gone home I don't think I would have gotten that same level of indulgence.

If we have another there are hospitals here that allow you to check out of the hospital and into a five star hotel. I'm kinda keen on that idea

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I stayed 4 nights with my first, I was told you didn't have a choice if it was your first. It was good though because I passed a lot of clots and was really worried, but was able to have the nurses on hand for everything.

DD2 I stayed 2 nights, I would've gone home earlier but the doctors never got around to me.

This time I'll say 2 nights, maybe less. Depends on the birth.

Bonkers is offline wishes she was a glow worm. A glow worm's never glum, 'cos how can you be grumpy when the sun shines out of your bum?
    Thanks
    Reviews
    My first was 3 nights he was csection. Dd was 5 nights, 4 would of been fine, I was going a little nutty by 5. But I loved having my dinner cooked for me and having my time with them both and people helping with the little ones

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I stayed 3 nights with DS and hated it, I couldn't wait to get home.

I am going thru my cmp and have a 4 hour discharge with this pregnancy, which I am happy with so far. I can see tho why for future babies why a day or 2 at hospital would be nice to have that one on one with bub before going home to other children.

*i had ds privately and not once did they ever offer to have him (I didn't ask either tho) so I don't know of being in hospital automatically means you will have someone to take bubs a way for you to get a break.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Can't access the poll but I stayed 4 nights with DD1. She had jaundice and was under lights for 48hrs. Being my first I was hoping to stay longer, only cause I was scared bringing my first bubby home

DD2 I stayed one night. I was so grateful to go home, she was undiagnosed breech and the birth was very quick but very full on (4 hours, surprise breech, v birth, no pain meds) and just being able to go home with her to be with DD1 and DH and sleep in my own bed was very comforting.

I couldn't have gone home in an hour or anything like that though, I was feeling quite weak from PPH as it was a quick labour.

I had her at 5am, was home by 5pm the next day.