+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default DS is nearly 6 and only 19.5kg - do I worry

DS is nearly 6 and is quite age appropriate with his height but he's so slim - he's only 19.5kg. I feel like I need to bulk him up (I'm really thin so some of this is my own issues not his) - he feels like he's all bones when you cuddle him and he looks so slim next to his friends. We've not said anything to him and he's not concerned just me and DH.

Would you worry and bulk him up with protein drinks, more carbs etc or just let nature take it's course?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I wouldn't worry, I am sure that is just his build. My 8 year old is 21 kilos and my 5.5 year old is 15 kilos. They are all different I would definitely not be trying to 'bulk him up.'

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think what freaked me out was DD is nearly 2 and is 15kgs so they are quite different. He doesn't drink any milk so I guess I was thinking I could give him some sustagen type drinks and double whammy him with milk and protein.

He is fairly healthy and just your normal average kid that is a complete motor mouth.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    DO whatever you feel you need to but all kids are different. 19.5 kilos for not even 6 seems pretty normal to me I worried about Ds2 for a bit when he was 7 and only 19 kilos so I did a facebook survey, lol and there were heaps of kids around the same weight I distinctly remember weighing 18 kilos in grade 2 (they weighed us all in class for some reason?!) and I am still on the lighter side.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    That sounds pretty normal to me. My DD is 5 1/2 and weighs 18 kgs. Not sure if there's a huge difference between boys and girls at this age.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD is 6 in 3 weeks and has only just cracked 20kgs. She's tall and skinny like her Dad! If he's eating ok and seems healthy enough I wouldn't worry.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS is 6 in a few weeks and is 19kg. He eats plenty and is active and healthy, so I'm happy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well I am on the otherside! My DS is almost 7 and he weighs 30kg He is really tall....130cm. I am only 160cm and I cant believe he is almost as tall as me and is only 7!

I wouldnt worry....he is still growing so I am sure he will fill out in the next few years. My DP was tall and skinny for years when he was younger....but filled out as he got to his teens.

If he is happy and healthy and is active (not lethargic or no energy) then I wouldnt worry. We all come in different shapes and sizes!

However if you really are concerned you can always see your GP as a 'general checkup' so your DS doesnt get worried about his weight.

bunkx is offline Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I wouldn't worry my nearly 6 year old is only 21.kg and quite tall, she healthy

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS is 5 and 14kg. I don't do anything to bulk him up. He's always been slight.