Closed Thread
Page 26 of 30 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    I haven't had a chance to read through yet but I'm fairly sure a lot of hospitals have signed up to the latest health initiative, it would go against that.

I think some hospitals do anyway, "top ups" and the like. My friend had bub recently and I visited her and the midwife was already at her about her supply and needing top ups (one day old bub btw). Needless to say, she breastfed for a matter of only couple of weeks despite really wanting to breastfeed.

I think if it's available in hospitals, some staff at some hospitals will be pretty quick to push it on vulnerable new mums.
    One day and they were pushing top ups? That midwife needs to go back to nursing school or do a little research on google at least!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (24-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Annabella View Post
    Just sharing a little info regarding the Baby Friendly Initiative and the availability of formula and why it is how it is- nothing to do with money, everything to do with encouraging higher rates of breastfeeding (WHILE STILL ALLOWING WOMEN TO MAKE THAT CHOICE FOR THEMSELVES AND THEIR BABIES)-

http://www.babyfriendly.org.au/step-...pplementation/

Step Six: Avoid artificial supplementation

Give newborn infants no food or drink other than breastmilk, unless medically indicated.

Facility data should indicate that at least 75% of babies birthed in the most recent 3 months (the most recent 12 months if assessment is for reaccreditation) have been exclusively breastfed or exclusively fed expressed breastmilk from birth to discharge. Iff not, there must be documentation of the Acceptable Medical Reason or the mother’s informed request or consent for supplementation.
    At least 80% of staff from Groups 1 and 2 must be able to describe:
    • at least three of the Acceptable Medical Reasons for giving food or drink other than breastmilk to breastfeeding babies
    • two pieces of information that should be discussed with a pregnant woman or mother who is undecided but considering feeding her baby with infant formula
    Materials unsupportive of breastfeeding must not be used, displayed or distributed to parents, except informational materials given individually to parents who are artificially feeding. No materials or literature produced by a company which markets or distributes products covered by the scope of the WHO International Code for the Marketing of Breastmilk Substitutes can be used, displayed or distributed to parents. No materials or literature which picture or refer to a proprietary product that is within the scope of the WHO Code can be used, displayed or distributed.
    The facility and its staff must not accept or distribute to mothers free or subsidised (low cost) samples or supplies of breastmilk substitutes. Breastmilk substitutes, including special formula and other supplies, must be purchased by the facility wholesale through a pharmaceutical distributor or by government tender or similar contact, or at a retail outlet, or are brought in by parents for feeding their own infants.
    The facility must have a dedicated private space and equipment for giving individual demonstrations in the preparation of artificial feeds, away from breastfeeding mothers.
    All handouts or sample bags distributed to new parents must be free of promotion of artificial feeding or inappropriate breastfeeding practices and must not contain samples of infant formula, foods or drinks or redeemable vouchers for these products.
    Retail outlets within the facility must not have promotional materials or displays of products within the scope of the WHO Code.
    Thank you for adding some actual information to the thread. Much appreciated.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    She said in the last paragraph of course it should be available, just not on tap. Which is how it is, yet until this thread it was never an issue.
    The problem is with this, how do we define need? What about someone like my cousin who had 2 children, failed badly bfing and got really depressed. For her 3 rd she decided she was use formula from the beginning and as I said, yes she probably should of provided her own (not sure if she did or not) but if she didn't?

Is the answer to lock up the feeding room to those that don't have 'valid' issues and it's only unlocked for 'deserving' mums with issues the staff deem as good enough?

We are getting into dangerous territory there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    OP if you are looking at this from a purely financial position as you do, lets look at the facts.

Around 90-95% of women are bfing in hospital. let's say 90%. When you take out the women that ff for medical/physical/emotional reasons and ff purely bc they don't want to, you'd be looking at 2 or 3 % tops. Then we'll look at the fact hospitals are getting formula for a 1/4 of the price (in some cases free). Again we'll be conservative and say they pay 1/4 which is $5 a tin. A woman stays in hospital for 5 days, she would use around 1/2 a tin, if that, on a few day old baby (mine drank 20mls at this age). So that's $2.50, used by 2-3% of birthing women.

Hardly anything to discuss. if we really want to discuss where our tax dollars our going, lets talk about the overinflated pollies perks which costs millions and millions. Rich people that circumvent the tax system and pay hardly any tax.

But a thread saying that a woman is looking for freebies which amount to $2.50 in formula is a bit silly.

As to the comments that some say it shouldn't be provided to encourage bfing... do people really think a woman who just doesn't want to bf is going to go from deciding to ff to then bf long term bc she can't get a few bucks of free formula in hospital for a few days?? and I'm not talking about women that want to, but are struggling. I'm talking about women that just don't want to, period. again, a bit silly.
    Good point.

LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think it should be hospital supplied. My hospital required all parents to bring their own clothes, nappies, formula etc etc.

However they did have supplies.

But I didn't mind bringing my own things. Im very particular so I would of brought my own things regardless.

But yes I feel the hospital should provide formula.

Sent from my GT-I5503T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenga View Post
    What a joke!
    Would you like to expand or do you just want to throw insults around?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I do know what you are saying and I do think bfing should be strongly encouraged. But as I said, we aren't talking about mums that do want to bf but are having heaps of troubles and a bottle pushed at them would help short term but long term would ruin the relationship they want.

The OP is talking about women that just don't want to feed full stop.

BigRed - If I knew I didn't want to bf before I gave birth I would take formula without the bat of an eyelid. My issue is more for mums who fully intend to bf going into the birth, then decide a few days in they don't like it and want to stop. I don't see the issue with providing 2 days of formula anymore than I see an issue with the fact I used a $20 tube of lanisol with DD while there.
    I had to pay for my tube of lansinoh!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (24-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by Annabella View Post
    I agree with the cost stuff, its a moot point. But to address the above question, its not so much about the women who have decided prior to the birth that they will formula feed (which would be a very very small amount of women). I agree, these women have made their decision, and I honestly couldn't care less if the hospital supplied 2 days of formula or whatever was necessary, but I can't imagine why it would be expected. If it were me, I'd bring my own.

Its more to do with the women who may be struggling to get it established, struggling with attachment issues etc. These women are particularly vulnerable and if formula is readily available, more will choose not to persevere with bf. Also as others have said- its just too easy for lazy/busy staff to suggest a 'top-up' (I woke up to find a nurse preparing a bottle of formula for my first in hospital when I was having attachment issues).

To ensure more women get the best support and best chance of successfully bf, its best that formula is not just there, ready for people to use as they please. If its that little bit harder to access (of course I think it should be available if a woman really just can't cope with it, med reasons etc), it has a big impact on improving bf rates.
    I've heard that in some middle eastern countries formula is kept under lock and key and is available with a doctors prescription only.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    If I were them I would.

Nestle supplying GCH meant that I went on to spend around 4k on their formula.

Not bad for less than $2 outlay on their part if it's just free product that secures their formula as the hospital supplied brand.
    exactly. I didn't spend near that but I got a couple of those s26 premade ones in premix packs . I probably only spent $100 on them (the toddler ones - I'd buy him one in place of a favoured milk or something when grocery shopping) but still not bad profit from small outlay

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think it should be hospital supplied, with Mums having the option to bring their own if they have a preference for brand.

I bf my child till she was 4 but respect every woman's feeding choices.