Closed Thread
Page 25 of 30 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    I can agree with this, I don't think people should have to discuss their sexual assault or body issues if they don't want to in order to receive formula in hospital.

The taxpayer thing doesn't even register with me, I have no doubt formula comanies would be more than happy to jump on board just like J&J.
    I'm almost positive they do. by the way formula samples were given to me at any opportunity until jasper was 1 year old. I would go one further and wonder if formula companies even pay for the privilege of being given out.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Boobycino For This Useful Post:

Benji  (23-06-2012),trishalishous  (24-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    The taxpayer thing doesn't even register with me, I have no doubt formula comanies would be more than happy to jump on board just like J&J.
    Nah money never was a thought to me either. But the OP says this isn't to punish ffers or make judgments on them, that she's about the money it costs to the tax payer. So for her, it's financial.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Benji  (23-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I do know what you are saying and I do think bfing should be strongly encouraged. But as I said, we aren't talking about mums that do want to bf but are having heaps of troubles and a bottle pushed at them would help short term but long term would ruin the relationship they want.

The OP is talking about women that just don't want to feed full stop.

BigRed - If I knew I didn't want to bf before I gave birth I would take formula without the bat of an eyelid. My issue is more for mums who fully intend to bf going into the birth, then decide a few days in they don't like it and want to stop. I don't see the issue with providing 2 days of formula anymore than I see an issue with the fact I used a $20 tube of lanisol with DD while there.
    In that case, as it currently stands, if it is unplanned it is provided. If you intend to never bf, you supply it. It has been that way for at least a decade.

During a recent hospital stay for my brother, a trolley went around with magazines, newspapers, snacks, and yes even cigarettes. Why can't formula be ordered from the hospital pharmacist if unplanned? Anything my brother ordered was added to his account. I forgot to pay for the pain killers he got on discharge because I already had a printout of everything, then after fixing that up they offered him 7 days worth, so printed it off after. It was $9 because he had a HCC by then and I just got a reminder that there is 2 weeks left to pay it. They are chasing up $9 for pain killers, so why laugh at a mum paying for a tin of formula?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Maybe completely off the OP and I haven't read all replies, but I was told formula is donated to hospitals... That's why they don't "recommend" any particular brand as it can change from time to time. So it's not 'taxpayers' paying so who cares!
    Personally, if I was planning on FF from birth and not trying to BF at all I would prefer to take my own formula! Beats having to beg for it from the midwives. ( just to clarify I did BF whilst in hospital)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Annabella View Post
    I agree with the cost stuff, its a moot point. But to address the above question, its not so much about the women who have decided prior to the birth that they will formula feed (which would be a very very small amount of women). I agree, these women have made their decision, and I honestly couldn't care less if the hospital supplied 2 days of formula or whatever was necessary, but I can't imagine why it would be expected. If it were me, I'd bring my own.

Its more to do with the women who may be struggling to get it established, struggling with attachment issues etc. These women are particularly vulnerable and if formula is readily available, more will choose not to persevere with bf. Also as others have said- its just too easy for lazy/busy staff to suggest a 'top-up' (I woke up to find a nurse preparing a bottle of formula for my first in hospital when I was having attachment issues).

To ensure more women get the best support and best chance of successfully bf, its best that formula is not just there, ready for people to use as they please. If its that little bit harder to access (of course I think it should be available if a woman really just can't cope with it, med reasons etc), it has a big impact on improving bf rates.
    Well I actually agree with everything you've said until the last paragraph. For the women that decide beforehand, yes it makes sense they just bring it. But to say formula shouldn't be available, I can't agree with that. Women have a right to choose what they do with their bodies. Now I'm not saying every woman should have a bottle shoved in their hand, far from it. But sometimes formula IS needed. Sometimes it isn't, but that is a woman's right to choose.

Taking formula from hospitals will lead to sick, hungry babies, women that are depressed and feel pressured and judged.

The answer is having LC's in hospitals to help women like me who didn't want to use formula. If they choose to use formula well it's their body. Truthfully, I find it hard to process why a woman with no issues of SA, medical/physical/emotional issues won't at least try. But that's them not me, and not having formula is getting dangerously close to removing bodily autonomy - and I'm not really referring to those that know before they come in, as I said, if that was me, I would bring it myself. I mean women that intend to bf, issues arise and they make the decision to switch
    Last edited by delirium; 23-06-2012 at 20:10.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Boobycino View Post
    I'm almost positive they do. by the way formula samples were given to me at any opportunity until jasper was 1 year old. I would go one further and wonder if formula companies even pay for the privilege of being given out.
    If I were them I would.

Nestle supplying GCH meant that I went on to spend around 4k on their formula.

Not bad for less than $2 outlay on their part if it's just free product that secures their formula as the hospital supplied brand.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BlissedOut For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (24-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I did ask the MW at the time why the hospital preferred to supply, she said it reduced the hassle factor for staff and patients and was of no expense to the hospital that way.

I think everyone is getting a good deal here, the parents, the hospital and the formula company. Why do people find this so hard to accept?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Well I actually agree with everything you've said until the last paragraph. For the women that decide beforehand, yes it makes sense they just bring it. But to say formula shouldn't be available, I can't agree with that. Women have a right to choose what they do with their bodies. Now I'm not saying every woman should have a bottle shoved in their hand, far from it. But sometimes formula IS needed. Sometimes it isn't, but that is a woman's right to choose.

Taking formula from hospitals will lead to sick, hungry babies, women that are depressed and feel pressured and judged.

The answer is having LC's in hospitals to help women like me who didn't want to use formula. If they choose to use formula well it's their body. Truthfully, I find it hard to process why a woman with no issues of SA, medical/physical/emotional issues won't at least try. But that's them not me, and not having formula is getting dangerously close to removing bodily autonomy - and I'm not really referring to those that know before they come in, as I said, if that was me, I would bring it myself. I mean women that intend to bf, issues arise and they make the decision to switch
    She said in the last paragraph of course it should be available, just not on tap. Which is how it is, yet until this thread it was never an issue.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    Did you miss the part where I said formula was supplied to hospitals by formula companies for FREE?

GCH say they do a rotation of formula so as to not show preference, but both times I had babies there it was Nan Pro.
    No didn't miss it that's a great point but I believe it's not the same in all hospitals?

When hospitals supply formula they should supply whatever formula they believe is best for bubba. Rotating sponsors doesn't cut it. IMO
    It's wrong a conflict of interest and dangerous to accept freebies from companies pushing an agenda.

It's a bit like when Cigarette companies were still allowed to sponsor sporting events (advertising the not-healthiest option). Or only Christianity RE classes being offered in public schools (whoever is 'in' with management gets to influence the population).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Boobycino View Post
    bahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

*breath*

bahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

okay I'm done.

vicpark - you make bubhub interesting at least.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub
    What's so funny? That one expects parents to pay to feed their kids?