Closed Thread
Page 23 of 30 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by MummaJez View Post
    Far out I'd hope the hospital would pay for it! geez with all the money I fork out for PHI!
    Good point. I know this is going to pee people off but if you pay for private health insurance then you should get more 'non necessary' items without charge. Private health insurance nowdays is a crock though, you get sfa and pay a whole heap more than public patients. That's a whole other thread though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Good point. I know this is going to pee people off but if you pay for private health insurance then you should get more 'non necessary' items without charge. Private health insurance nowdays is a crock though, you get sfa and pay a whole heap more than public patients. That's a whole other thread though.
    Hear hear! And don't get me started on the mid pregnancy schedule fee! I don't expect Medicare at all to cover(as I don't expect tax payers to pay) it but I'd expect PHI to chip in just a little! but yes thats a totally new thread discussion.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MummaJez For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (23-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Just sharing a little info regarding the Baby Friendly Initiative and the availability of formula and why it is how it is- nothing to do with money, everything to do with encouraging higher rates of breastfeeding (WHILE STILL ALLOWING WOMEN TO MAKE THAT CHOICE FOR THEMSELVES AND THEIR BABIES)-

http://www.babyfriendly.org.au/step-...pplementation/

Step Six: Avoid artificial supplementation

Give newborn infants no food or drink other than breastmilk, unless medically indicated.

Facility data should indicate that at least 75% of babies birthed in the most recent 3 months (the most recent 12 months if assessment is for reaccreditation) have been exclusively breastfed or exclusively fed expressed breastmilk from birth to discharge. Iff not, there must be documentation of the Acceptable Medical Reason or the mother’s informed request or consent for supplementation.
    At least 80% of staff from Groups 1 and 2 must be able to describe:
    • at least three of the Acceptable Medical Reasons for giving food or drink other than breastmilk to breastfeeding babies
    • two pieces of information that should be discussed with a pregnant woman or mother who is undecided but considering feeding her baby with infant formula
    Materials unsupportive of breastfeeding must not be used, displayed or distributed to parents, except informational materials given individually to parents who are artificially feeding. No materials or literature produced by a company which markets or distributes products covered by the scope of the WHO International Code for the Marketing of Breastmilk Substitutes can be used, displayed or distributed to parents. No materials or literature which picture or refer to a proprietary product that is within the scope of the WHO Code can be used, displayed or distributed.
    The facility and its staff must not accept or distribute to mothers free or subsidised (low cost) samples or supplies of breastmilk substitutes. Breastmilk substitutes, including special formula and other supplies, must be purchased by the facility wholesale through a pharmaceutical distributor or by government tender or similar contact, or at a retail outlet, or are brought in by parents for feeding their own infants.
    The facility must have a dedicated private space and equipment for giving individual demonstrations in the preparation of artificial feeds, away from breastfeeding mothers.
    All handouts or sample bags distributed to new parents must be free of promotion of artificial feeding or inappropriate breastfeeding practices and must not contain samples of infant formula, foods or drinks or redeemable vouchers for these products.
    Retail outlets within the facility must not have promotional materials or displays of products within the scope of the WHO Code.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Annabella For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (23-06-2012),bumMum  (23-06-2012),share a book  (23-06-2012),VicPark  (23-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by NancyBlackett View Post
    And if I refused to pay? What should the hospital do?
    If you didn't want to breastfeed your bub (non medical reasons), and had the funds to pay for formula but wouldn't, then there could be a few options:
    1) hospital give you formula then recover costs through a fine/court action
    2) notify docs that you are endangering your child's welfare by refusing (where possible) to take responsibility for feeding them. Hospital take temporary custody and ff bub until you (not you literally, the hypothetical person!) get off your high horse and pay.

Pretty much same if you had a toddler at home and weren't feeding them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I haven't had a chance to read through yet but I'm fairly sure a lot of hospitals have signed up to the latest health initiative, it would go against that.

I think some hospitals do anyway, "top ups" and the like. My friend had bub recently and I visited her and the midwife was already at her about her supply and needing top ups (one day old bub btw). Needless to say, she breastfed for a matter of only couple of weeks despite really wanting to breastfeed.

I think if it's available in hospitals, some staff at some hospitals will be pretty quick to push it on vulnerable new mums.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (23-06-2012),bumMum  (23-06-2012),share a book  (23-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    OP if you are looking at this from a purely financial position as you do, lets look at the facts.

Around 90-95% of women are bfing in hospital. let's say 90%. When you take out the women that ff for medical/physical/emotional reasons and ff purely bc they don't want to, you'd be looking at 2 or 3 % tops. Then we'll look at the fact hospitals are getting formula for a 1/4 of the price (in some cases free). Again we'll be conservative and say they pay 1/4 which is $5 a tin. A woman stays in hospital for 5 days, she would use around 1/2 a tin, if that, on a few day old baby (mine drank 20mls at this age). So that's $2.50, used by 2-3% of birthing women.

Hardly anything to discuss. if we really want to discuss where our tax dollars our going, lets talk about the overinflated pollies perks which costs millions and millions. Rich people that circumvent the tax system and pay hardly any tax.

But a thread saying that a woman is looking for freebies which amount to $2.50 in formula is a bit silly.

As to the comments that some say it shouldn't be provided to encourage bfing... do people really think a woman who just doesn't want to bf is going to go from deciding to ff to then bf long term bc she can't get a few bucks of free formula in hospital for a few days?? and I'm not talking about women that want to, but are struggling. I'm talking about women that just don't want to, period. again, a bit silly.
    Last edited by delirium; 23-06-2012 at 19:43.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (23-06-2012),Busy-Bee  (23-06-2012),Stretched  (23-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    If you didn't want to breastfeed your bub (non medical reasons), and had the funds to pay for formula but wouldn't, then there could be a few options:
    2) notify docs that you are endangering your child's welfare by refusing (where possible) to take responsibility for feeding them. Hospital take temporary custody and ff bub until you (not you literally, the hypothetical person!) get off your high horse and pay.

How much would it cost the hospital to recover the cost of a few bottles of formula? Compared to the cost of that formula.

I don't know how much formula costs but I wager it is a darn sight less than enforcing a fine!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

What a joke!

DaddyLarge is offline I put on my robe and wizard hat...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakois View Post
    I really think that this thread bought about a new low for BH.

Have we all run out of other things to argue over?
    I couldn't agree more.

The new highlight of the thread is the idea that we should launch court action to recover the cost of supplied formula.

Pure genius.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DaddyLarge For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (23-06-2012),lambjam  (24-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I think it's much, much more complex than this, although I have sadly seen first hand my friend's bf relationship with her son end and I really do think it has a lot to do with the hospital making her doubt her body's ability by pushing "top ups".

When I think of all the J&J products they push in hospy I'm not sure that we wouldn't be entering dangerous territory like in the Phillippines where staff start pushing it on vulnerable new mums because they get freebies and bonuses to promote the products.

For healthy mums and healthy bubs it goes against the baby friendly initiative but I do think that it should be supplied to mums who can't breastfeed for psychological or other health reasons.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (23-06-2012)