Closed Thread
Page 22 of 29 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I really think that this thread bought about a new low for BH.

Have we all run out of other things to argue over?

To answer the OP, no I do not think mothers should have to provide their own formula. I think the idea is rediculous.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jakois For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (23-06-2012),Guest654  (23-06-2012),kezanazz  (23-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    All: this is not a ff'ing bashing thread. If you want to do this start your own thread.

This is purely a discussion about economics: should hospitals/taxpayers cover 'technically Unecessary/more expensive options for patients. In a ff'ing sense this refers to parents who know in advance that they will be formula feeding for lifestyle and not
    Medical reasons. A breastfeeding equivalent could be should a mother who doesn't need to express in hospital but chooses to.... Should
    She bring her own breast pump in?

Please no personal attacks. Debate the points not the person.
    From an economic perspective should taxpayer funds be given to women who choose to formula feed?

From an economic perspective should women who choose to breastfeed have to pay extra for their meals because of the additional calorie requirements?

Thanks
    Reviews
    If your daughter life truely depended on receiving formula then she would be covered by the 'medical' clause in my original post.
    Really?

What if I simply refuses to breastfeed her? That's not a medical reason.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakois View Post

To answer the OP, no I do not think mothers should have to provide their own formula. I think the idea is rediculous.
    Thanks for answering the original question.

As for your comment that this is a new low. Its only a new low if people are too sensitive and incorrectly read too much into things. Please see my second last post. This is NOT a formula feeding bashing thread. It's a discussion of economics. I even provided a similar breastfeeding example.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Far out I'd hope the hospital would pay for it! geez with all the money I fork out for PHI!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakois View Post

It's not ridiculous. That's what actually happens. The debate itself is ridiculous because that's what happens and nobody cares.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by NancyBlackett View Post
    Really?

What if I simply refuses to breastfeed her? That's not a medical reason.
    In that case you open your wallet, pay for formula (either store or hospital purchased). If you cant afford it, see centrelink or a charity. If you simply refuse to pay and feed your child that's child endangerment/negligence.

Thanks
    Reviews
    In that case you open your wallet, pay for formula (either store or hospital purchased). If you cant afford it, see centrelink or a charity. If you simply refuse to pay and feed your child that's child endangerment/negligence.
    And if I refused to pay? What should the hospital do?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Did you miss the part where I said formula was supplied to hospitals by formula companies for FREE?

GCH say they do a rotation of formula so as to not show preference, but both times I had babies there it was Nan Pro.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Annabella View Post
    This isn't even really an issue IRL. In terms of public hospitals- If people know they won't be breastfeeding its just a given that they supply their own formula.

If people intend on breastfeeding, then for whatever reason don't/can't, the hospital supplies it til they can get their own. Its really not a big deal.

'Taxpayers' aren't outraged that someone may receive a couple of free formula feeds, and formula feeders aren't outraged that they are expected to bring their own choice of formula if thats how they have chosen to feed their child.

Really, its just commonsense, not about tax dollars, or babies rights to be fed, as if a baby is going to be left to starve if the mothers doesn't breastfeed!

Formula USED to be readily available in post-natal wards- even given away as samples to women when they had their babies in hospitals. It resulted in breastfeeding rates plummeting which is NOT in the best interest of public health. As a result the healthy babies initiative (or whatever its called) was started, in a attempt to encourage breastfeeding. As many people have said, it is whats best/normal for babies, and it does save the community money long-term, so its in the govt's best interest to encourage mums to breastfeed. That is why formula is not being 'given away' in hospitals, and why you need to bring your own. But like I said, they will never let a baby starve, so its pointless bickering about it really.
    Yep exactly. It is how it is, yet now it is on BH it's to be argued over.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post: