Closed Thread
Page 21 of 30 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Not that I want to agree with the OP as I could not disagree more,my understanding, and what I was told by the hospital when having my son, is that the mother is a patient but the child is not unless they are actually admitted for some reason, eg my son technically became a patient as the paed wanted to monitor his temperature.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MsTruth For This Useful Post:

twotrunks  (23-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    Yes, but I guess my thinking is, barring emergencies, my baby is my responsibility to feed. If I chose to ff from birth, I would take it in because changing formulas can upset little tummies. One would think someone wanting to avoid breastfeeding would have a supply of formula. Why not provide your baby with that?
    I didn't know what formula I would use until I was in hospital, I used the hospital supplied one and it agreed with my DS, I continued to use it after discharge and picked up a few tins on the way home.

Quote Originally Posted by louellyn View Post
    Not that I want to agree with the OP as I could not disagree more,my understanding, and what I was told by the hospital when having my son, is that the mother is a patient but the child is not unless they are actually admitted for some reason, eg my son technically became a patient as the paed wanted to monitor his temperature.
    I'm fairly sure that isn't correct as babies still are required to be discharged from hospital and wear ID tags.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by NancyBlackett View Post
    I used the hospitals cloth nappies when I fully intended to use disposables at home? Does that mean my desire for free stuff has taken over?

Do you honestly think someone decides to use a hospital's supply of formula just to make use of FREE STUFF?
    Come on. Your first example is mis-directed over dramatisation. Im against taxpayers paying for someone to chose to use the more expensive of two options. Using reusable cloth nappies hardly fits that criteria.

Do i think all people make use of hospital formula to get free stuff? Absolutely not. Many women do it because they have great difficulty breastfeeding and their babies need to eat.

Do I think *some* people (that know in advance they will be choosing the more expensive ff'ing option.. Yet don't bring formula to hospital) expect a freebie... Yes I do think that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    I didn't know what formula I would use until I was in hospital, I used the hospital supplied one and it agreed with my DS, I continued to use it after discharge and picked up a few tins on the way home.

I'm fairly sure that isn't correct as babies still are required to be discharged from hospital and wear ID tags.
    You may be right, all I know is that if my son had not been admitted as a patient (private hospital) I would have had to pay for the paed's services and the antibiotics, as he was admitted there was no charge for either.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MsTruth For This Useful Post:

twotrunks  (23-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Week ended 24/7/2014100 Posts in a week
    I work in a hospital admin and that is correct. A baby is not an inpatient unless they need to spend time in special care.

Sent from my GT-S6102 using BubHub

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HearMeRoar For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (23-06-2012),lambjam  (24-06-2012),twotrunks  (23-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Come on. Your first example is mis-directed over dramatisation. Im against taxpayers paying for someone to chose to use the more expensive of two options. Using reusable cloth nappies hardly fits that criteria.

Do i think all people make use of hospital formula to get free stuff? Absolutely not. Many women do it because they have great difficulty breastfeeding and their babies need to eat.

Do I think *some* people (that know in advance they will be choosing the more expensive ff'ing option.. Yet don't bring formula to hospital) expect a freebie... Yes I do think that.
    Absolutely it is over dramatisation. My daughter's life didn't depend on nappies.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    All: this is not a ff'ing bashing thread. If you want to do this start your own thread.

This is purely a discussion about economics: should hospitals/taxpayers cover 'technically Unecessary/more expensive options for patients. In a ff'ing sense this refers to parents who know in advance that they will be formula feeding for lifestyle and not
    Medical reasons. A breastfeeding equivalent could be should a mother who doesn't need to express in hospital but chooses to.... Should
    She bring her own breast pump in?

Please no personal attacks. Debate the points not the person.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    You may be right, all I know is that if my son had not been admitted as a patient (private hospital) I would have had to pay for the paed's services and the antibiotics, as he was admitted there was no charge for either.
    Ahh.. That would explain why I had to pay for my sons pedi check-out in hospital. (he wasn't admitted). You learn something new every day!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by NancyBlackett View Post
    Absolutely it is over dramatisation. My daughter's life didn't depend on nappies.
    If your daughter life truely depended on receiving formula then she would be covered by the 'medical' clause in my original post.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    This isn't even really an issue IRL. In terms of public hospitals- If people know they won't be breastfeeding its just a given that they supply their own formula.

If people intend on breastfeeding, then for whatever reason don't/can't, the hospital supplies it til they can get their own. Its really not a big deal.

'Taxpayers' aren't outraged that someone may receive a couple of free formula feeds, and formula feeders aren't outraged that they are expected to bring their own choice of formula if thats how they have chosen to feed their child.

Really, its just commonsense, not about tax dollars, or babies rights to be fed, as if a baby is going to be left to starve if the mothers doesn't breastfeed!

Formula USED to be readily available in post-natal wards- even given away as samples to women when they had their babies in hospitals. It resulted in breastfeeding rates plummeting which is NOT in the best interest of public health. As a result the healthy babies initiative (or whatever its called) was started, in a attempt to encourage breastfeeding. As many people have said, it is whats best/normal for babies, and it does save the community money long-term, so its in the govt's best interest to encourage mums to breastfeed. That is why formula is not being 'given away' in hospitals, and why you need to bring your own. But like I said, they will never let a baby starve, so its pointless bickering about it really.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Annabella For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (23-06-2012),bumMum  (23-06-2012),Busy-Bee  (23-06-2012),share a book  (23-06-2012)