Closed Thread
Page 18 of 30 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
    lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    The hospital provides set things. If you have any other requirements like gluten free, lactose free, vegan/vegetarian, etc then yep you provide your own.
    I didn't suggest patients should be able to request special kinds of meals for their baby. Any generic formula will do. Just so the baby doesn't, you know, starve .

2. The Following User Says Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (23-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post

The taxpayer rarely covers their personal expenses to the state, let alone covers the expense of less than $15 worth of food being supplied to a patient over a few days.

VicPark, next time you're in hospital for a planned stay I encourage you to bring your own meals.
    You're missing my point. Hospitals should cover the basics of food, shelter, warmth. However if the hospital is providing a sound cheap option, and you (for no medical reason) wanted the more expensive option, then you should foot the bill.

I was more than happy with the hospital food but if I wanted lobster and moet instead of bangers/mash/juice, then yes I would expect to pay for it myself.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    The hospital provides set things. If you have any other requirements like gluten free, lactose free, vegan/vegetarian, etc then yep you provide your own.
    Absolutely not true. Not only did I work for QLD health for many years, in the last 4 years I have accumulated months of inpatient time. They're required to provide food that caters to intolerances and personal beliefs (religion/cultural/whatever).

Honestly, could you imagine the out cry if a lactose intollerant person was told they could only have oats made on milk for breakfast? Or an Islamic person fed pork?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Luna Lovegood View Post
    You're veg*n. That's a choice. If you go to hospital, should they accommodate and provide you with nutrience or should you bring your own food? They have a duty of care to provide you with food in line with you beliefs- cultural, religious or otherwise. If they don't, it's discrimination. Why not feed the baby formula if that is how the parents choose to feed their child?
    My daughter went to hospital for surgery a few months back. She has Coeliacs Disease and an intolerance to caseine (milk protein) which meant, due to preparation, she could only have jelly and apple juice. Due to being vegetarian, the jelly was out. In that case I had to provide for her. A little forward thinking meant I went prepared with food for her.

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I was more than happy with the hospital food but if I wanted lobster and moet instead of bangers/mash/juice, then yes I would expect to pay for it myself.
    That you compare formula to lobster and Moet speaks volumes about what you do not understand about the issues surrounding bodily autonomy.

This is going around in circles and being reduced to a base level of content that is of no interest to me.

Good evening all.

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

BlissedOut  (23-06-2012),Guest654  (23-06-2012),Luna Lovegood  (23-06-2012),MsTruth  (23-06-2012),NancyBlackett  (23-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    If taxpayers are paying for the more expensive option when there is no medical reason... Well then they sort of do have a right to put their 2 cents in.
    I have seen multiple posts/threads from you VicPark about your tax dollars and how they're spent and it really rubs me the wrong way.. OF COURSE a hospital should supply formula! Who cares why? It's either breastmilk, formula or NOTHING; they simply can't have no other option.. Why does it matter why someone formula feeds? They're not second class citizens because they're not breastfeeding.

I pay tax and could think of a million other things to be worried about in regards to the way the government spends their money. I feel like it needs to be pointed out that once you pay tax, the money is NO LONGER YOURS!! It doesn't give you the right to belittle/judge others for their choices. Spend your time worrying about yourself not everyone else.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PorkyPies For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (23-06-2012),GlitterFarts  (23-06-2012),Guest654  (23-06-2012)

Guest Guest
    This thread is ridiculous. People need to get a new hobby.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Guest For This Useful Post:

Gracie's Mum  (23-06-2012),Mulva  (23-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Also, alot of Mums might expect to BF and change their mind? Then what? Let their child starve?

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    What a horrible thread.

What if you're not sure of whether or not you're going to breastfeed and then after a horrible traumatic birth you have this wrinkly screaming baby put on your chest and you are adamant that you do not want that baby on your breast. Period.

Several have said its okay for victims of sexual abuse, but what if women don't feel comfortable disclosing their history of sexual abuse with the midwife at the delivery, a virtual stranger. I didn't tell my husband about my sexual assault until after we were married!

And how many women go into labour COMPLETELY unprepared with no hospital bag packed?

IMO hospitals should provide it on request but not offer. It should be there, if it's needed but breastfeeding should be promoted.

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to elleandsam For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (23-06-2012),Atropos  (23-06-2012),Bubbles10  (23-06-2012),Gracie's Mum  (23-06-2012),Guest654  (23-06-2012),Mulva  (23-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think the hospital should pay if your're a public patient, if you're going private then you or your health fund. I work in a hospital pharmacy, and it's no where near as expensive as what you pay retail (1/4 of the price). The amount of other things tax payers have to fork out for, formula is the least of your worries. Also, it's supplied to the children's hospitals and funded by the hospital so why not in the mothers hospitals.