Closed Thread
Page 16 of 30 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tormy View Post
    The midwives at my hospy didn't tell me how to steralise bottles or make up formula etc...so I went home from hospital not being able to bf and having no idea how to FF...I had to call a friend to ask :$
    And that's my point exactly ... Why should you have to ask a friend about how to ff?? They provide lc for bf but nothing for ff ... Just seems really wrong to me!!!

(oh I mentioned my friend was not too bright - and trust me if you met her you would know what I mean! But I mean no reflection on over mums that just aren't given the ifo)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I think it's fair for the hospital to provide a few basics... you know, a few pads to use in the hours afterwards, a few blankets for the baby until you can bring your own in, a few nappies, an outfit for the baby, etc. I think the same with formula and bottles - enough for the first few feeds, or if it's medically advised to use formula instead of BFing... but all of those things, I think the parent should provide themself say after the first 24 hours.

This is how it worked when I was in a public hospital, and it made sense to me... they are underfunded as it is and shouldn't be supplying massive amounts of anything to anyone without charge.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    A few blankets until you can bring in your own?

Why is it unreasonable to expect a hospital to provide blankets for babies when they happily supply them for mothers and every single other patient??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Just one more reason why I would never go public for giving birth or having any procedure.

(yes yes I know not everyone has this 'luxury' )

As a side note, the OP has probably got she was looking for by starting this thread and the climax will be when it is closed

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MsTruth For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (23-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    So who should pay for lactation consultants etc provided for those needing help with BFing? Both types of feeding incur a cost at some level, the hospital receives funding to support patients. One type of feeding is not more valid than another.
    I know midwives in my hospital were the lactation consultants so there was no additional cost (apart from time). Excellent point though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I dont see why they shouldn't .... To breast feed or not is no ones choice but the mothers and one should not feel pressured either way...
    I however would take my own in if I chose to FF only because I wouldn't want to swap and change formula with a new born...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    In this case, kinda. If I choose to FF it has no impact on anyone else's life. If the hosp supplies a bit of formula, again, it impacts no one else. We all know breast is best but if you can't BF or won't BF, it's no one else's business and formula is the next best thing to breast milk.
    If taxpayers are paying for the more expensive option when there is no medical reason... Well then they sort of do have a right to put their 2 cents in.
    Last edited by VicPark; 23-06-2012 at 17:14.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I know midwives in my hospital were the lactation consultants so there was no additional cost (apart from time). Excellent point though.
    Their time assisting in establishing breastfeeding is still an additional expense.

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    If taxpayers are paying for the more expensive option when there is not medical reason... Well then they sort of do have a right to put their 2 cents in.
    There's no way on earth you would apply this logic to every scenario. As pointed out earlier, pain relief during labour is a more expensive option than a drug-free birth, and there's often no medical reason for its use. It would clearly be absurd to suggest that women bring their own pain relief or pay extra if they choose to use it, and it's equally absurd to apply this logic to any other aspect of bodily autonomy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If taxpayers are paying for the more expensive option when there is not medical reason... Well then they sort of do have a right to put their 2 cents in.
    Totally.

That's why people receiving any sort of government payment (taxpayer money) shouldnt be able to spend it on luxuries like formula.

Right??

Don't want taxpayers paying for luxuries.