Closed Thread
Page 15 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
    Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    Pumps are supplied at our hospital.

The problem with asking patients to supply their own is the hospital then has to provide facilities to clean, sterilize and prepare bottles. If the mother has had a c-section they have to find someone to do it for her as she's immobile(husbands are kicked out at 9pm at our hospital).

Much more hassle for busy staff than supplying premixed formula.
    The hospital I had my 2 babies had all this (Mater Public Hospital - Brisbane). I even recently spent a night in the chilren's hospital with DD and they had steralising equipment in the kitchen area. (It was mostly toddlers and pre-schoolders so it wasn't the babies area.) Hospitals do have formula. If you're planning on FF'ing from bith then it's probably a good thing taking some forumla with you but if you don't then it's there but I'm guessing that if you had an extended stay you'd be asked to supply your own. If you couldn't then the midwives should be sympathetic about it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bumMum View Post
    People care about all kinds of things to do with kids and health. Is there something wrong with giving a ****?

Sent from my HTC Desire S using BubHub
    In this case, kinda. If I choose to FF it has no impact on anyone else's life. If the hosp supplies a bit of formula, again, it impacts no one else. We all know breast is best but if you can't BF or won't BF, it's no one else's business and formula is the next best thing to breast milk.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tormy View Post
    The midwives at my hospy didn't tell me how to steralise bottles or make up formula etc...so I went home from hospital not being able to bf and having no idea how to FF...I had to call a friend to ask :$
    This is really sad. I wish that all parents were given access to information on breastfeeding prior to baby being born, and if breastfeeding is not their thing access to information on how to safely feed their babies using formula.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bubbles10 For This Useful Post:

bumMum  (23-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    People care about all kinds of things to do with kids and health. Is there something wrong with giving a ****?

Of course you can care about whatever you want, I just dont care if the hospy supplies it or not. i dont see the big deal in who supplies it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    In this case, kinda. If I choose to FF it has no impact on anyone else's life. If the hosp supplies a bit of formula, again, it impacts no one else. We all know breast is best but if you can't BF or won't BF, it's no one else's business and formula is the next best thing to breast milk.
    We aren't talking about the choice to formula feed. I have a four year old who was formula fed.
    We are talking about hospitals having a policy of providing formula to mothers who choose to formula feed from birth. After reading through the thread I think yes they should.. but they should not advertise or promote it in any way.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've not read all replies, but to put it simply, my view is this:

Hospitals should (and do) have supplies of formula and bottles for the various reasons in which it is used by new mothers, for their babies. As a back up, as a just in case.

However, if you go in to the hospital, knowing full well you intend to use formula, and not breastfeed, then I believe you should be responsible of taking your own formula and bottles. After all, these are an expense you were budgeting for given your intentions to use formula.

This is how it works (or at least, did) in the Public hospital here, if you intended to use formula, you were asked to supply your own formula and bottles. I think it's a fair thing to ask.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Lillynix For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (23-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    wow, i can't believe I actually read the last 15 pages! lol. have sore eyes. ok I am easy either way really with regards to who supplies it, when I had dd via emergency ceaserian I was expecting to be able to breastfeed and my milk didn't come in until late on day 3, and she was one cranky baby.. the mw's had given her some formula from the hospital to keep her happy in the time being, and once my milk came in, i tried and tried in vain to breastfeed but i didn't have enough milk. Even when i'd try to express it, i'd be lucky to get 60 ml's from both boobs..

with ds due to him being premmie, and with having trouble with his blood sugar, they formula fed him in special care, and i was fully intending to have a go at breastfeeding again, and ended up having emergency surgery and due to the meds prescribed was told that i was unable to breastfeed because of this.

Either way, just in case, i had brought along my own formula when ds was born, ''just in case'' things didn't work out.. they had their own forumula at the hospital but in the end i used mine so i can continue it at home..

Thanks
    Reviews
    We aren't talking about the choice to formula feed. I have a four year old who was formula fed.
    We are talking about hospitals having a policy of providing formula to mothers who choose to formula feed from birth. After reading through the thread I think yes they should.. but they should not advertise or promote it in any way.
    I think mothers should be made aware the option is available but I wouldn't expect it promoted as such. I just think they are obliged to feed all patients in their care, babies or adults. I don't think they need to stick a million types, just a basic formula available to all who need or want it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    In the post-natal ward (ie not in the NICU or SCN), I believe the mother should provide it. Mainly to encourage breast feeding. As far as I know, this is how it is anyway, you bring your own baby clothes, nappies, etc, but they do have some 'emergency' items if you are not prepared. I'm pretty sure formula is the same, they have a small stash if you need it unexpectedly, otherwise you are required to BYO, which I think works fine and is fair enough.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I cant believe there is 15 pages on this subject. I really dont see what the big deal is? The baby gets fed. Just like any other patient in the hospital. Simple really

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ShanandBoc For This Useful Post:

sweetsugardumplin'  (23-06-2012)