Closed Thread
Page 1 of 30 12311 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default ***Spinoff*** Formula in hospital: who should supply it?

Who should supply formula in hospital, the parents or the hospital (aka taxpayer if it's a public hospital)?

I'm not anti formula feeding. BF'ing is bloody hard work,i bled in the early days and nearly gave up.

But I believe if you choose to
    Breastfeed for lifestyle/non medical reasons then you should pay for the formula. The taxpayer shouldn't foot the bill because you choose a more expensive way to feed your baby.

*** to clarify. I consider sexual abuse, pnd, birth trauma, previous technical difficulties, current technical difficulties etc to be medical reasons for not bf'ing. The pay for your own formula view is for women who simply don't want to try at all/think its weird to have a baby at their breast.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    The hospital, it's none of their business to ask WHY you don't want to BF. If you are suggesting they supply it for people who have suffered sexual abuse but not those who just choose not to BF that is ludicrous.

I don't think the odd bottle of formula is going to break the hospital budget. Considering I would bet that most people BF for at least those first few days in hospital.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to duckduckgoose For This Useful Post:

halloweendee  (23-06-2012),MommaBear  (23-06-2012),WTK  (23-06-2012),~Marigold~  (23-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hospital . Otherwise they have to supply steralisers, microwaves etc. I'm sure the small amount of formula babies wouldn't cost much . I think here they have disposable bottles premade with formula .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    The latest figures I've seen have shown that 94% of women are breast feeding upon discharge from hospital.

Of the 6% that aren't, I would assume that the majority would be for reasons inclusive of those that you have mentioned - e.g., baby in special care nursery/ premature, medical reasons.

This leaves a very small figure who elect to FF from the start.

The above isn't really relevant to my argument, as I think the principle of what you believe shouldn't depend on the numbers who do it. I'm including that to illustrate that what you're describing would apply to a very tiny % of the population.

I think that the hospital should supply it.

If it were the case that the hospital didn't, then women would be forced to prove their reasons for not wanting to BF for the start. Otherwise, how do you determine who is or is not eligible for free formula?

You can ask if someone has PND. Well, they probably don't know that seconds after the baby has popped out.

You can ask if they have emotional/ mental health issues that would prevent them from doing so. Well, again, they may do but not know that they have.

You can ask if they were a victim of s3xual abuse, or had previous problems breast feeding. Okay. Now how do they prove their answer is true?

It doesn't seem like a system that could work. It also seems like a system that would add extra pressure and stress for women at an already difficult time of life.

I think we are talking about something very minor in terms of taxpayer implication, and very major in terms of the impact it could have on women.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest654 For This Useful Post:

Mrs E  (23-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    VicPark, did your hospital supply nappies? Or a suit? Blankets? What's the difference? It's no ones business why someone FFs, and if the hospital want to supply it, why do you care?

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Anjalee For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (23-06-2012),halloweendee  (23-06-2012),Von Zipper  (23-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think it's outrageous for a hospital to supply formula. To have it as an option and readily available at a hospital makes zero sense to me everyone has the right to feed their baby how they wish but I think a hospital (a place that is supposed to care about health) supplying formula is sending the message that formula is just as good as breastmilk.

Not all people are educated on the risks of formula feeding and a lot of people trust that a hospital knows best.

ETA: I'm not saying people shouldn't have access to it either what I'm saying is go buy it yourself. Yes the hospital supplies food etc but if I want cigarettes they aren't going to supply them are they.
    And jump on me all you like, I was sexually abused, raped, have PND, had a hard time establishing bf, issues with my breasts etc. for this reason I'm unable to even hand express because of my issues. If I wanted to stop bf for these reasons I would buy my own formula or more than likely source donor breastmilk.
    Last edited by Etienne; 23-06-2012 at 12:04.

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Etienne For This Useful Post:

Abi&Beth  (23-06-2012),Bubbles10  (23-06-2012),Ffrenchknickers  (23-06-2012),Tainted  (23-06-2012),trishalishous  (24-06-2012),VicPark  (23-06-2012),~ElectricPink~  (23-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    the hospital should. its the mums choice how she wants to feed her baby and by saying if she chooses ff she has to pay is like saying its the wrong choice imo.

either way the baby is being fed like the mum is being fed in hhospital whats the difference?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I assume if you have to provide your own baby resources in public hospitals, but they have supplies if you run short or don't have it.

I seem to remember bringing nappies, wipes etc.

i assume if somebody plans to bottlefeed, they bring their own formula, but if they make the decision in the hospital and need it urgently, then the hospital supplies? If that's the case, then that seems sensible.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to MsMummy For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (23-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Hospital.

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Etienne View Post
    I think it's outrageous for a hospital to supply formula. To have it as an option and readily available at a hospital makes zero sense to me everyone has the right to feed their baby how they wish but I think a hospital (a place that is supposed to care about health) supplying formula is sending the message that formula is just as good as breastmilk.

Not all people are educated on the risks of formula feeding and a lot of people trust that a hospital knows best.
    Trust me, the piece of paper I had to sign in order to give my children formula in hospital sent a pretty clear message!

The only message sent when a hospital provides formula is that it is an acceptable form of nourishment. Which it is.

To answer the OP, yes I believe formula should be supplied, and in all circumstances. To argue that it should be supplied in some circumstances but not others is judgmental and, frankly, a logistical nightmare.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

PinkPopsicle  (23-06-2012)

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 30 12311 ... LastLast