+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default How can aldi save me money?

Whats good at aldi and whats not? I really cant see the massive price diff in anything

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    cleaning products and laundry stuff..plus some beauty stuff is very cheap...
    we got ice cream maker..popcorn and coffee grinder very cheap...

I dont buy meat ..veges though..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    I think most grocery items are a comparable price to homebrand/ no name products in other supermarkets.
    I think the only thing you could potentially make a decenct saving on is fruit and veg. When it's on special is usually for a decent price.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You've really gotta do your research on what's best. I seem to have a close to photographic memory for shopping prices. No idea why.

Tinned red salmon is cheaper than I could find elsewhere. Boconcini ditto. Corn chips unless they are on sale elsewhere and except for home brand but you don't want home brand corn chips as they contain palm oil. There is more variety of pasta than homebrand though about same price. Kids yoghurt squeeze things are cheaper generally too. Free range eggs often cheaper. Big thing for me was kids nappies good quality and price though not needing them at the moment

If you can find a Woolies in a low socio economic area it's probably as cheap. (Woolies do not have nationwide pricing.) and Woolies do have much more variety.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    See this is interesting! I do my bulk shop at Aldi and just get the things I cant get there at Coles/Woolies. I have done a price comparison on a shop I did at aldi (used receipt) and then plugged everything in Coles Online. Basically I have saved $100 on my weekly shop by shopping at Aldi.

Even staples like spreadable 'butter' for example....it is twice the price at Coles!

And yes I looked at Home Brands and at specials and I still come out cheaper at Aldi.

I dont usually buy meat there as I shop at a discount butcher so acn get cheap meat.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Michelle_N View Post
    See this is interesting! I do my bulk shop at Aldi and just get the things I cant get there at Coles/Woolies. I have done a price comparison on a shop I did at aldi (used receipt) and then plugged everything in Coles Online. Basically I have saved $100 on my weekly shop by shopping at Aldi.

Even staples like spreadable 'butter' for example....it is twice the price at Coles!

And yes I looked at Home Brands and at specials and I still come out cheaper at Aldi.

I dont usually buy meat there as I shop at a discount butcher so acn get cheap meat.
    Ditto. Do my weekly shop at Aldi and used that receipt to compare to Safeway and it was a saving of $100 or more. I go to a butcher for meat but I find I can usually get most fruit and veg from Aldi too. My family of me, DP and 14 month DS gets away with $150 a fortnight on food.

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mishh View Post
    Ditto. Do my weekly shop at Aldi and used that receipt to compare to Safeway and it was a saving of $100 or more. I go to a butcher for meat but I find I can usually get most fruit and veg from Aldi too. My family of me, DP and 14 month DS gets away with $150 a fortnight on food.
    Yep me too. I struggle to spend $100 a fortnight at aldi. I buy their meat as I generally put it straight in the freezer anyway and it's cheap. I get the other stuff from woollies or Coles that I can't get at aldi once every month or two, like the kids shower gel and shampoo, toothpaste etc.

I think aldi has come a long way in terms of quality over the last two or three years. The prices are comparable to home brand but the quality is way better.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to HugsBunny For This Useful Post:

MinkyJ  (23-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Michelle_N View Post

Coles and woolies online are an extra 8% in cost compared to shopping in store so thats probably not a true comparison.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

10. The Following User Says Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:

delirium  (23-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I've done this the other way round. i shop at coles and buy a lot of homebrand. compared my receipt to aldi online prices and found in a 100 shop at coles, i could have saved like $2 going to aldi? but they didn't have everything i needed so that 2 bucks would have been spent going to coles anyway. and that's assuming the aldi quality was the same and so far everything from aldi I've tried apart from junk food i was not happy with quality of. tiny teddies chips and lollies seemed ok but i don't tend to buy a lot of those sorta things.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by grumpysmurf View Post
    I've done this the other way round. i shop at coles and buy a lot of homebrand. compared my receipt to aldi online prices and found in a 100 shop at coles, i could have saved like $2 going to aldi? but they didn't have everything i needed so that 2 bucks would have been spent going to coles anyway. and that's assuming the aldi quality was the same and so far everything from aldi I've tried apart from junk food i was not happy with quality of. tiny teddies chips and lollies seemed ok but i don't tend to buy a lot of those sorta things.

Same. Maybe I just bought certain items where home brand is the same price at aldi? I also found HB generally was better quality than aldi... although this was a number of years ago now and someone said aldi quality had improved lately so maybe it the same or better now.

and as someone else said, coles and woolies online are significantly dearer than in the shops.