+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 4 mth old night sleeps

After some advice, please!
    My just 4 mth old is terrible to get to sleep at night.
    I'll cover it all so hopefully someone can give me some ideas
    Wake-up generally 8.30-9 in the morning
    Bed 1.5-2 hrs after so 10.30-11.00
    Sleeps generally 2.5-3 hours until approx: 1.30-2pm
    Awake 1.5-2 hrs until approx 3.30-4 has 45 minute sleep.
    Up at 4.15-5.
    Try to do bedtime at 6.30-7 (feed to sleep if she'll let me!) but then wakes up after the first sleep cycle (45 mins) we've tried patting, rocking etc etc, feeding back to sleep, this has worked a limited number of times. Generally we get her up and play until she is tired again (she seems so happy when she wakes after that 45 min and seems bewildered why we are trying to get her back to sleep!!) haha so I then try to feed her to sleep again (usually doesn't work) and it then takes ages (40 min - 2 hrs) to settle her. So effectively she ends up actually getting to sleep at 10-11pm which is just way to late for a little baby!
    And then wakes up 2x during the night. I could maybe handle it if she didn't wake up during the night but I'm usually an early sleeper and this is exhausting!
    Any thoughts or ideas appreciated.
    Btw - she's EBF, we don't co-sleep (I tried)
    Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My baby isn't the best sleeper either but I find it's always a big mistake to think they don't want to sleep at bedtime after 45 minutes and getting them up.

They may seem happy to be up but then they get overtired very quickly and often without showing tired signs and that's why you are left taking hours to get her to sleep as she's overtired.

It's hard but I've found that I just have to persevere after that first 45 minutes and get her back to sleep. I matter what as that often may take a long 30 minutes but that's better (in my mind) than having to spend 2 hours later when she's likely to also be crying more and fighting sleep more.

Just a suggestion...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks, any suggestions on methods? I don't like CIO. Have tried the going in at longer and longer intervals but not sure if that works at this age. Just sit and persevere? Lol. I've tried boobing her back to sleep but she's looking around (still even in the very dim light!)
    Does your bub still do it? Or how long did it take to get through it. Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    At that age my son was going to bed at 9/10pm. I gradually brought forward his bedtime by half an hour each day. By 10 months he was sleeping 7:30-7:30

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadorite View Post
    At that age my son was going to bed at 9/10pm. I gradually brought forward his bedtime by half an hour each day. By 10 months he was sleeping 7:30-7:30
    How did you go about doing that? Moving the bedtime? Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    I guess bring each nap time forward like 10-15 mins over the course of the day for a few days. That might bring bedtime to around 8ish??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Do you have a bedtime routine? We do feed, bath, feed, bed to signal it is night time now instead of just another nap.

As for settling techniques, we used pick up/put down. A good summary of how to do it is here: http://www.mybabysleepguide.com/2009/01/pupd-tbw.html
    That blog also has some good suggestions on how to lengthen a nap, which you may be able to try when bubs wakes after the first 45 mins.

HTH, good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Try waking bub up earlier in the morning. Put your alarm on and start everyday at 7am. this will bring the whole sequence forward and hopefully sort it out so there are two day sleeps and one nap (in theory!!!)
    Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Is there any way you can sleep during the day when bub sleeps?

My SIL was into sleep cycles and fixed sleep routines and they had so much trouble. I rested when my son did and was up when he was till one day he started sleeping through. I found my son seemed to work on a 12 hour cycle he worked out himself. We were up at 8am and in bed at night at 8pm and no nap ever lasted longer than 2hrs. My second son decided on one nap per day eventually and he does 4hrs in the afternoon then up for 2.5hrs then bed till we get up at 6.45am (for pre-school( his big brother)) and their in bed at 7.30pm.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Your bub is actually not too bad comparing to mine at that age. lol
    My son at around 4 months would go to sleep around 8:30 then wakes up 3 times to 4 times at night for feeds and then up around 8am in the morning and then 4 day time naps around 45 min each time!
    But eventually he started to drop out morning naps and he really only started to sleep through the night when I stopped BF him. He was sleeping great for a while and now hes waking upi once or twice again every night, not fully awake just wants cuddles, he could be going through seperation anxiety.
    Maybe shes going to bed too early. They can only sleep so much.
    Have you tried to move his sleep later at night? Perhaps you can try by delaying each of his day time nap by 5 min at a time. For example if you normally start your bedtime routine at 6pm, maybe start it at 6:10pm, or extend the bedtime routine?