View Poll Results: Would you support your parents?

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, because I want to

47 72.31%
  • Yes, because I feel obligated to

6 9.23%
  • No, because I dont want to

3 4.62%
  • No, I am unable to (financially/poor relationship etc)

4 6.15%
  • Other

5 7.69%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    TeamAwesome is offline No one's perfect, but everyone can be awesome.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My parents no way no how.

My inlaws yes but there are conditions I couldn't do it long term in close quarters so not in our current house with our current financial situation

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yes of course! My mum only.

She's been there for me every step of the way so it's only fair I support her when I can and anyhow I can.

My in laws can sort their own problem out because that is what they let us do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I could never afford to support my mum financially in terms of paying rent etc. but I would have her live with me and feed her in a heartbeat.

My dad - I'd never let him be homeless .... But I'd hope another sibling would take him in.

Don't have any in laws.
    Last edited by Theboys&me; 24-06-2012 at 12:06.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, we already do support both our families financially. My mother is nearly 70 and still quite active and in good health, but she will def come to live with us when the time is right. I'm lucky though, she's a wonderful mother and we would enjoy having her. Father - no way on earth. So i guess it depends.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yes to both mine and IL's.
    although atm we are in no position to financially but one day if it was needed and we could, sure.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by trishalishous View Post
    yes, it has! I was intrigued by another poster saying her dad was in DOHS housing and about to become homeless, whereas I couldnt imagine my extendd family being in that situation if I were able to help financially/open our home to them
    It intrigues me also. I recently travelled through Vietnam and was humbled and fascinated by their living arrangements. Generations live together, working together and helping each other as an extended family. They have the village that I hear the Bub Hub community wishing for. I will bet that their mental health is exponentially better than here as well.
    Also if families took more responsibility for each other it would take pressure off the welfare system. People would argue why should their family be their problem, they have worked hard for what they have. Because I believe charity starts at home and we would live in a much less consumerist and selfish country if we looked after and nourished our extended families.
    I understand that when any violence or abuse has occurred in your situations that this doesn't apply.
    But I have forgiven my father for him being a s$it dad because he is trying so hard to be a great granddad and when he is staying with us I have a little village and I can have a break.
    Countries like Vietnam put more value on their family and friends than their stuff and to me this just makes sense.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sweetpeamummy For This Useful Post:

lovesushi  (17-07-2012),ShanandBoc  (24-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Absolutely!

We already help my Mum in a way, she's our tenant in our investment property and she pays below market value in rent.

I would help my Mum and MIL anyway we could if our help was needed, for sure.

*I can haz typos*

Thanks
    Reviews
    My Mum? No way, no how. There is no way I could live with her. I would be miserable. She hasn't been a great Mum to me and I know that having her here would be detrimental to myself and my family. And DH would probably leave me as he can't stand her either. I would probably visit her in a home out of duty, but would have to force myself.

Dad? Sure. In a granny flat or caravan. I couldn't have him in my house - he would drive me crazy. I would feed him, but would need separate living as he's messier than the kids and is pretty inconsiderate (sprawls all over the bigger couch so someone has to stand or get a dining room chair etc).

FIL would be the same deal as Dad. He's not inconsiderate or messy, but I don't think we could live together sharing the same space.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Although i have a great relationship with my parents and IL's I would find it very suffocating having them live with me long term. DF feels the same.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to brooke88(mum2b09) For This Useful Post:

chookylaa  (24-06-2012)

MrJones&Me is offline sometimes as useless as the 'ueue' in queue
    Thanks
    Reviews
    subbing to reply later.